[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Santonio Holmes a Jet?

piratesownninjas

Ochocinco at his best on twitter :D

"When its time for me to get traded they can trade me for a X-Box, McDonalds coupon book a case of Red Bull with a box of COHIBAS"

10 minutes ago via Swift

"@nflcommish Mr. Goodell the NY Jets are unfairly loading their team up with great players like the Yankees do, we need to stop this now!"

20 minutes ago via Swift

That's some funny stuff right there. :D

Not that it makes much difference at this point, but someone clarify something for me. Holmes has some past transgressions with the controlled substance policy. But I heard he failed to show up for a mandatory drug test.....not that he actually failed one.

Of course when you have a history, failing to show up is apparently an admission of guilt. :wacko: And the twitter didn't help.

Even making this move......I highly doubt Sweed will be back. :D

I have'nt predicted this as the end for the Steeler's but I think they're in trouble for sure. I think that it could be argued that Wallace might not "simply get better as a #2" with Holmes gone. IIRC, he made some big plays last year and had some terrific catches. Just not sure if he'll be able to run go routes every play without Holmes on the field.

IF Pitt. just dumped him b/c he's proven to be an A Hole as a person, then I love the move too.

They did, their is not doubt about it. If he wasn't in trouble, there is no way they would have moved him, especially not for a 5th rounder. The Steelers definitely lost a LOT of talent, but, it had to be done. I certainly won't miss him flexing to the camera after a 10-yard catch, during a 2-minute drill, as players are scrambling to lineup. He is a jackass, and I'm glad he is gone.

All of that said, for the Jets, the price is cheap, and they can see if he gets his act together. If he does, they can look to re-sign him. If not, they got a cheap audition.

Also, in limited opportunities, Mike Wallace showed himself to be more than a guy who can run fly patterns. Yes, that is where the big plays came from, and he has great speed. However, he also showed very good hands and the ability to catch the ball in traffic. I think he is going to be a great NFL receiver and with Holmes going, he could be a fantasy draft steal this season, especially in keeper/dynasty leagues.

Edited by Menudo

Homes was going to be cut if they couldn't find a trading partner.

:wacko:

Steelers were ready to cut Holmes before trade

Monday, April 12, 2010

By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Peter Diana/Post-Gazette

The Steelers were prepared to release wide receiver Santonio Holmes had they not been able to trade him, sources told the Post-Gazette today.

They took the best deal they could find late Sunday night -- a fifth-round choice in the April 22-24 draft from the New York Jets. It was the best offer they received after talking to a number of other NFL teams about trading Holmes.

The trade came one day after a report on Profootballtalk.com that Holmes faces a four-game suspension in the 2010 season for violating the NFL's substance abuse policy, which was confirmed today by the Post-Gazette.

Although it has not been announced whether Holmes will be charged in Orlando after a woman claimed he threw a glass in her face at a club early last month, the Steelers obviously had enough with their sometimes brilliant but often troubled wide receiver.

Holmes helped deliver the franchise its sixth Lombardi Trophy with his spectacular touchdown catch that won Super Bowl XL and brought him the game's MVP trophy. That came several months after coach Mike Tomlin made him inactive for one game after his arrest for Josh Gordon by Pittsburgh police, a charge that ultimately was dropped.

He also was charged twice in his rookie year, once for disorderly conduct and once for choking a former girlfriend, but was not convicted on either account.

After the woman in Orlando filed a civil suit against him last month, Holmes issued some bizarre comments on his Twitter account, telling one person to kill himself and announcing another time that he was going to "wake n bake," considered by some to be slang for smoking Josh Gordon.

Steelers management was furious with Holmes' antics and the black eye it and Ben Roethlisberger's legal issues had given to the organization.

They signed two free agent wide receivers last month, perhaps already knowing about Holmes' latest violation of the NFL substance abuse policy. Also, they have entertained four wide receivers among the 28 college prospects who have visited them over the past two weeks, two of them considered likely first-round picks: Notre Dame's Golden Tate and Oklahoma State's Dez Bryant,

Holmes, the first wide receiver taken (with the 25th overall choice) in the 2006 NFL draft, had his best regular season in 2009 when he led the team with 1,248 yards receiving on 79 receptions, with five touchdowns. It was the first time he had topped 1,000 yards receiving. He has not made a Pro Bowl in his four seasons in the league.

As of 10 a.m., the Steelers had not announced the trade but it was a straight-up deal that does not include any other picks -- conditional or otherwise - or players.

The trade leaves the Steelers with 11 choices in the upcoming draft. Four of them are fifth-round draft choices -- one of their own, two compensatory and the other in the Holmes trade.

In the meantime, Roethlisberger will not be charged by Milledgeville, Ga., authorities on a sexual assault claim, according to ESPN. Authorities in Georgia will hold a news conference at 2 p.m. today to reveal their decision.

More details in tomorrow's Pittsburgh Post-Gazette.

For more on the Steelers, read the new blog, Ed Bouchette On the Steelers at www.post-gazette.com/plus. Ed Bouchette can be reached at ebouchette@post-gazette.com

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10102/10497...m#ixzz0ktveVwSU

Leave it to Steeler fans to say "this was a good move" and "it was time for Holmes to go anyway". PUH-LEASE!!

You don't think the fact that the Steelers spoke to several teams and the MOST they could get for him was a 5th rounder speaks volumes ? With his talent level, it sure speaks volumes to me.

Sorry, he has shown himself to be a punk over and over again, and I'm glad he is gone, despite the fact that my favorite team just lost a lot of talent.

I like rooting for a team that is willing to remove talent in order to do what is right. Everyone deserves a 2nd chance, but, when you are digging into your 4th and 5th chances, it's time to give up.

You don't think the fact that the Steelers spoke to several teams and the MOST they could get for him was a 5th rounder speaks volumes ? With his talent level, it sure speaks volumes to me.

Sorry, he has shown himself to be a punk over and over again, and I'm glad he is gone, despite the fact that my favorite team just lost a lot of talent.

I like rooting for a team that is willing to remove talent in order to do what is right. Everyone deserves a 2nd chance, but, when you are digging into your 4th and 5th chances, it's time to give up.

Well speaking from the perspective of a Jets fan, i hope he does straighten up a little bit and puts up nice numbers.

However IMO overall it is the teams job to discipline the players, because we all know from the past that you can basically do anything you want and walk away from it with some game suspensions.

+1. As much as I hate the Steelers, I respect them for this philosophy. It's one of the things I've always appreciated about the Giants too. A lot of teams could take a page out of this book.

I am happy we got the guy at great value, but I wonder just how much shopping the Steelers did.

A LOT of teams need a WR...and all they came away with was a 5? Also, how was not one rumor started of them shopping Holmes? Insiders get everything out all over the media...this one shocked the heck out of me because I never heard a peep of Holmes being shopped. If he were, the Jets would have been involved even sooner...and we'd have heard about this in NY.

It is also no coincidence that the NFL suspends him for 4 games the morning after the trade happens. I think the Steelers got whiff of this and made a quick move to a team known to need a WR and known to be aggressive.

It's not a great move for Pittsburgh on-field wise, but it does indeed send a clear message to that team.

It is kind of funny here around Pittsburgh. I went for a colonoscopy today and while everyone there is in a sheet mood, no one seemed very worked up at Holmes being traded. Everyone would have liked to get more for him but it was clear with the drama of late and now the suspension, his days as a Steeler where coming to an end. I am not in love with the move but I think any of us that pay attention to the Steelers saw this one coming.

Wow the race card that is awesome...just making things worse my man not better,

There is big differences btw holmes and ben. Ben has not been charged with anything b/c there is no evidence to support any claims. Holmes on the other hand was caught with pot and just failed a drug test both of which are CONCRETE evidence of a crime. Holmes is an idiot. IF he wants to break the law he needs to learn how to do it without getting caught with evidence like Ben. With Ben there will always be reasonable doubt but with Holmes there is no doubt.

Just in case I have really no opinion on whether Ben is guilty or not...our government does not seem to think so or they would have arrested him. AS for a suspension I cannot see how they could...Ben could very well be the victim in both of his cases.

Actually the Race card shouldn't be played against the Steelers brass, but against Goodell. Roeth would have been suspended long ago if he wasn't white. But that's a Goodell thing. And no, this white guy has never pulled the race card.

And your last part is way off. It's not that our government or the DA doesn't think the he's innocent. That has nothing to do with it. The DA looked at what he had to work with and knew it wasn't enough to get a guilty beyond reasonable doubt. A DA isn't going to try something unless they are extremely confident they can win, and he doesn't have enough evidence.

I still maintain that Holmes really isn't that great. They gave up a 5th round talent for a 5th round pick and shed a first round salary.

You must have been watching the wrong games. He is far better than a 5th round talent. :wacko:

Edited by Trots

You must have been watching the wrong games. He is far better than a 5th round talent. :wacko:

That's part of the problem though, eh? Why should he look like a 5th round talent some of the time and better other times? I think he has gotten a lot of mileage out of his SB performance.

That's part of the problem though, eh? Why should he look like a 5th round talent some of the time and better other times? I think he has gotten a lot of mileage out of his SB performance.

235 catches, 3835 yards and 20 TDs over the past 4 years...and he has increased his catches yearly topping out at 79 catches (1248 yrds)...I would say that SB performance was just a part of what looked to be promising career for a young WR...now his boneheadedness could clearly do him in but it is easy to see the Steelers only got a 5th due to the boneheadedness because if it was off his play he surely would have netted more and that isn't just because of a SB MVP performance 2 yrs ago.

Actually the Race card shouldn't be played against the Steelers brass, but against Goodell. Roeth would have been suspended long ago if he wasn't white. But that's a Goodell thing. And no, this white guy has never pulled the race card.

And your last part is way off. It's not that our government or the DA doesn't think the he's innocent. That has nothing to do with it. The DA looked at what he had to work with and knew it wasn't enough to get a guilty beyond reasonable doubt. A DA isn't going to try something unless they are extremely confident they can win, and he doesn't have enough evidence.

I agree with you your 2nd paragraph and I did not mean any point of real emphasizes with that statement. As for the race card, YES you pulled it and it was out of line, and you being white is meaningless and the mere fact you brought that up speaks volumes. I guess since you are white you can pull the race card with more authority then a black guy or being white absolves you from any issues of you using race in certain manners.

But honestly we do not even know what Goodell is going to do yet so how can we draw conclusions unless we are predisposed to think in this way.

By the way I am a big Steelers fan ...just for disclosure... I am not sure what happens to our QB who got in trouble for writing PFJ(play for Jesus) on his socks.

Edited by Grimm74

There is no race issues here. Goodell is a stand-up guy that has done a good job as a commish so far IMO. Comments like this just make me shake my head.

Ben will have what's coming to him, if not now eventually cause he will slip again.

As for Holmes, I'm glad he's gone. The Steelers should have shopped him more IMO but what can be done. Time to move on.

This move was a win-win. I mean Holmes is better than 5th round draft pick but he certainly is not 1st rounder. Holmes wins as he gets a new life in a hugh market where he wants to be. The Steelers win as they are happy to get anything for him in return. The Jets win, (so long as he is only out 4 games), as they picked up some decent talent that they get a year to work on.