[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Draft day trade scenario

rajncajn

I normally don't put a lot of stock in trade scenarios because they rarely ever become reality, but this one from Mike Lombardi really does make a lot of sense for both teams. Supposedly the Lions would trade their 2nd round pick (34th overall) for LT Jammal Brown. The Lions would then move Jeff Backus to his natural guard position and then be free to take Suh with their 1st. For the Saints, this would settle their LT competition early & either give them 2 defensive players with the 32 & 34 or the ammo to move up & get a more coveted player.

Um, didn't the Lions just sign Sims from the Seahawks to play LG? I'm sure they could use more depth but I don't know how likely they are to need a guard after signing a guy in his prime that seemed to be released because the Seahawks are changing to a zone blocking scheme.

Um, didn't the Lions just sign Sims from the Seahawks to play LG? I'm sure they could use more depth but I don't know how likely they are to need a guard after signing a guy in his prime that seemed to be released because the Seahawks are changing to a zone blocking scheme.
Lions | Not taking extension with Sims

Tue, 06 Apr 2010 14:08:14 -0700

Tom Kowalski, of MLive.com, reports the Detroit Lions have not talked with OG Rob Sims about a contract extension. Sims would like to sign a long-term deal but knows that he will have to earn a new contract.

Doesn't sound like they're sold on him. Regardless, Brown would be a big upgrade at LT.

Here's a scenario that I actually think could happen...

KC trades down to #7 and CLE trades up to #5 if Eric Berry is sitting there at #5.

Cost? Maybe CLE's 3rd and 5th this year and 3rd next year?

NOTE: CLE has two 3rd round picks this year (#7 and #28 in that round) and they have two 5th round picks this year (#3 and #29 in that round).

Doesn't sound like they're sold on him. Regardless, Brown would be a big upgrade at LT.

I think they signed him 3 to 4 days before that article was written. I guess I would like to see the guy make it to the facility before they aren't sold on him. :wacko: Just sounds premature considering Sims signed his tender with the Seahawks on April 1st and that article was written 5 days later. I know the sports writers get anxious during the offseason because not much is going on, but I don't know if a guy they gave a 5th rounder for is necessarily top priority with less than two weeks to go before the draft. But you never know with the Lions. Mayhew has done pretty well so we'll see what happens.

I think they signed him 3 to 4 days before that article was written. I guess I would like to see the guy make it to the facility before they aren't sold on him. :wacko: Just sounds premature considering Sims signed his tender with the Seahawks on April 1st and that article was written 5 days later. I know the sports writers get anxious during the offseason because not much is going on, but I don't know if a guy they gave a 5th rounder for is necessarily top priority with less than two weeks to go before the draft. But you never know with the Lions. Mayhew has done pretty well so we'll see what happens.

Like I said... regardless of the situation at guard, Jamal Brown is a huge upgrade at left tackle & well worth a 2nd rd pick IMO. The important part of the deal is not moving Backus inside, that's only icing if that is what they wanted to do. The important part is getting a pro-bowl caliber player at LT to protect your new QB for a 2nd round pick.

I'll be curious to see how far Clausen will have to fall (assuming he gets past #9, which I think he will) before some team decides to trade up to select him, and how high of a spot they trade up to.

In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if the Bills traded back into the first round using Lynch and a (few) pick(s) to take him. Perhaps Houston at 20?

On second thought, that's pretty stupid.

Edited by Charles

I normally don't put a lot of stock in trade scenarios because they rarely ever become reality, but this one from Mike Lombardi really does make a lot of sense for both teams. Supposedly the Lions would trade their 2nd round pick (34th overall) for LT Jammal Brown. The Lions would then move Jeff Backus to his natural guard position and then be free to take Suh with their 1st. For the Saints, this would settle their LT competition early & either give them 2 defensive players with the 32 & 34 or the ammo to move up & get a more coveted player.

Makes sense. Somebody get these 2 talking.