[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Rooney to "update" media today.

2 from the Rooney's, followed up with a stern letter from the league but no additional penalities

All this has to be in bed by the weekend so the media buzz can shift to schedule release and draft next week

I don't think this thing is going to go away by the weekend. I don't even think it will be done by draft day unless it means moving Ben to the Rams.

"When we get to the point where we have agreed with the commissioner on what that action will be, that's when it will be imposed," Rooney said during his first news conference concerning the Roethlisberger case. "After imposing an appropriate level of discipline and outlining the steps we feel will be necessary to be successful as a player and a person, we intend to allow Ben the opportunity to prove to us he is the teammate and citizen we all believe he is capable of being."

sounds like they fully intend to keep the dirtbag around after a slap on the wrist gesture of 2-4 games. guess all that talk about how character comes first is a bunch of meaningless hot air when it comes to the franchise QB.

Edited by Azazello1313

I heard it will be more like six or eight games but that will come out after the NFL draft. The league doesn't want to sully the draft with this.

I heard it will be more like six or eight games but that will come out after the NFL draft. The league doesn't want to sully the draft with this.

I think it will be a similar type of suspension that Michael Vick got last year. If Ben follows the requirements, it will be reduced. So, 6 games, and reduced to 2 after Ben completes all the stipulations.

I think it will be a similar type of suspension that Michael Vick got last year. If Ben follows the requirements, it will be reduced. So, 6 games, and reduced to 2 after Ben completes all the stipulations.

If you get 4 games for violating the league's substance abuse policy...shouldn't Ben's punishment be more severe? I know he wasn't convicted of anything...but I think the league will be setting a bad example if he isn't out for @ least 4 games.

If you get 4 games for violating the league's substance abuse policy...shouldn't Ben's punishment be more severe? I know he wasn't convicted of anything...but I think the league will be setting a bad example if he isn't out for @ least 4 games.

Just trying to be objective here....

What grounds do they have to suspend him? He can claim that he was falsely accused.

What grounds do they have to suspend him? He can claim that he was falsely accused.

He could, but, it doesn't appear that he will go that route. I think he knows what the general public feeling is towards him. I think he is going to keep his mouth shut and do whatever Goodell & Rooney decide.

I listen to Pittsburgh radio and it seems that 8/10 callers feel like I do......they want him gone and will struggle to ever cheer for him again. I think the Steelers are in for a PR nightmare and a dreadful season. I'm very disappointed that it sounds like the Steelers are going to hold onto this scumbag. :wacko:

Isn't he violating the NFL's "Code of Conduct" policy? I didn't think you had to be convicted of something to be in violation.

4 games sounds like too much to me. I am not downplaying the severity of his alledged actions, but without a conviction in the legal sense, I think 4 games is a lot. It punishes the entire team, I would rather they let him play but take his pay.

I wonder how well this will stand up to an appeal. Although it really looks like Ben is a monstrous scumbag, he hasn't really done anything anyone can prove.

8 games....reduced to 4 on appeal.

just a hunch :wacko:

if he did do it, no way he appeals anything. that could open him up to alot. nfl would do some digging to bolster their case. his lawyers would tell him to shut up and take it.

Edited by dmarc117

He could, but, it doesn't appear that he will go that route. I think he knows what the general public feeling is towards him. I think he is going to keep his mouth shut and do whatever Goodell & Rooney decide.

I listen to Pittsburgh radio and it seems that 8/10 callers feel like I do......they want him gone and will struggle to ever cheer for him again. I think the Steelers are in for a PR nightmare and a dreadful season. I'm very disappointed that it sounds like the Steelers are going to hold onto this scumbag. :wacko:

This is for sure.

I was at a doctors appointment today that is part of a Pitt/Steeler facility. Ben was less than 300 yards away and all the media was a circus. The general opinion of just about anyone that I spoke to, and the all like to talk about it, is that it is time to send Ben packing. We are a very proud hardcore football town here in Pittsburgh. This city just isn't big enough for a guy like Ben to get lost in the shuffle. There is dirt in every single corner you look. Not as bad as the possible rape mind you, but so much so that resturant staff hate to see the guy come though the doors. Young adults that I personally know that have had direct experince with the guy think he is a total creep. Up until recently, part of me held on to the "he was convicted of nothing", now that part of me shakes my head. Public opinion is very strong and I hear none of it in support of Ben.

Goodell just said today something like -you don't have to be convicted of anything to be in violation of the leagues personal conduct code

So all Larry Johnson has to do to get the starting gig in washington is hang up a dead chicken in his locker, take a picture and send it to Goodell with a note that says "Clinton did it!"

But then, maybe Goodell would wonder what a for,er president was doing hanging up dead chickens in the Redskins locker room... :wacko:

I'm guessing they will hand him only a 2 game suspension since he wasn't found guilty.

Godell has made it very clear that Roethlisberger can still very much violate the player conduct rules while being found not guilty by a grand jury.

Godell has made it very clear that Roethlisberger can still very much violate the player conduct rules while being found not guilty by a grand jury.

nitpicky, perhaps, but a grand jury doesn't find anyone guilty of anything. that is a regular jury. a grand jury is for issuing indictments.