[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Brownies

hooknladder

Browns could be caught in a vise at No. 7

Posted by Mike Florio on April 20, 2010 12:35 PM ET

As the draft gets closer, there's one team that is believed to be "panicking" based on its position in the top ten.

With five or six truly elite players in the draft pool (Sam Bradford, Ndamukong Suh, Gerald McCoy, Trent Williams, Russell Okung, and possibly Eric Berry), the Browns potentially will find themselves with the first pick in the second wave of round one.

As we hear it, the Browns don't believe there's anyone who can sufficiently help them at No. 7 to justify using the pick. They don't sufficiently love cornerback Joe Haden or running back C.J. Spiller to take either of them at that high financial slot. If Berry squirts through, he could be the pick.

So that's why the Browns are exploring a move in either direction. The problem will be to find someone else who wants to use the seventh pick on a player who may not justify the financial investment, given that the team that uses the selection will be faced with the slot-busting Darrius Heyward-Bey contract as a starting point.

The only way the Rams would come down to No. 7 would be to get quarterback Jimmy Clausen. The only way someone would come up would be to get Clausen or Kyle Wilson or Dez Bryant or someone other player that a team in the teens secretly loves.

Either way, that four-game winning streak to end the 2009 season has created an unwanted consequence. The Browns are now stuck in a round-one no-man's-land from which they may not be able to escape.

CLE x. KC trade could make some sense ... CLE has an extra 3rd and 5th this year (but, iirc, no 4th) ... not sure what the pick value chart says it'd cost to move up from #7 to #5, though ...

CLE x. KC trade could make some sense ... CLE has an extra 3rd and 5th this year (but, iirc, no 4th) ... not sure what the pick value chart says it'd cost to move up from #7 to #5, though ...

Cleveland won't have to move up to take Clausen :wacko:

From everything I hear around town the Browns want Berry really really bad. Too bad they won their final 4 games to end the season dropping them to the 7th pick. A top 5 pick looked like a lock when they were 1-11. So if Berry is there (I heard he may go 5th or 6th but not in the top 4) then the Browns jump all over him. It is possible KC may want to try and hoodwink the Browns out of a pick or two to move up from 7th to 5th because KC might be just as happy with an OL as they would with Berry but I don't think Mike Holmgren will bite on that. I think he will play the waiting game and if Berry is taken I can see two things happening. One would be rolling the dice and moving down to around pick 11-14 and hope a player they like say maybe an Earl Thomas.

In looking at 4 mock drafts on the CBS page they have the Browns getting Berry on all 4 of them at the 7th pick.

1st 4 picks are all but locks with it going Bradford, Suh, McCoy, and an OL

The 5th and 6th picks are wild cards. OL could go either 5th or 6th or both. Seattle could pull the trigger on Spiller or either could go for Berry.

From everything I hear around town the Browns want Berry really really bad. Too bad they won their final 4 games to end the season dropping them to the 7th pick. A top 5 pick looked like a lock when they were 1-11. So if Berry is there (I heard he may go 5th or 6th but not in the top 4) then the Browns jump all over him. It is possible KC may want to try and hoodwink the Browns out of a pick or two to move up from 7th to 5th because KC might be just as happy with an OL as they would with Berry but I don't think Mike Holmgren will bite on that. I think he will play the waiting game and if Berry is taken I can see two things happening. One would be rolling the dice and moving down to around pick 11-14 and hope a player they like say maybe an Earl Thomas.

In looking at 4 mock drafts on the CBS page they have the Browns getting Berry on all 4 of them at the 7th pick.

1st 4 picks are all but locks with it going Bradford, Suh, McCoy, and an OL

The 5th and 6th picks are wild cards. OL could go either 5th or 6th or both. Seattle could pull the trigger on Spiller or either could go for Berry.

If that is what is being floated by the team then you can bet your bottom dollar they are probably going to go in a different direction.