[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Sam Adams

darin3

I'll admit it, I like some beers that have a twinge of "fruitiness" [insert jokes here] and I while I may not like regular ole Sam Adams all that much, I find their seasonal beers to be quite good. Anyone try their Summer Ale? Sounds delicious, and the temps are starting to get in the "time for a summer beer" region, so thinking of dropping some coinage on a full twelver. Yeah, I have problems with commitment. :wacko:

It's a decent beer D. I don't go out of my way to purchase it but many times it's the seasonal on tap if I'm at a restaurant or bar that doesn't really carry 'craft' beers. It you get Bell's down that way grab a 12 of Oberon for a good summer beer. From the sounds of things you may also enjoy Magic Hat #9 which has a hint of apricot and is really easy to drink. I drank a decent amount of that a couple of years back and still pick it up on occasion. Leinenkugel Sunset Wheat is another easy to drink 'fruity' beer.

Bier is just mad because I didn't like his lambic (although I may give the style another taste this year).

It's a decent beer D. I don't go out of my way to purchase it but many times it's the seasonal on tap if I'm at a restaurant or bar that doesn't really carry 'craft' beers. It you get Bell's down that way grab a 12 of Oberon for a good summer beer. From the sounds of things you may also enjoy Magic Hat #9 which has a hint of apricot and is really easy to drink. I drank a decent amount of that a couple of years back and still pick it up on occasion. Leinenkugel Sunset Wheat is another easy to drink 'fruity' beer.

Bier is just mad because I didn't like his lambic (although I may give the style another taste this year).

Those Belgian wheats tend to get a little too weird for me too... it's not just you. :tup:

I LOVE Leine's Sunset Wheat. It does, though, get a little too sweet at times... so that's why I was hopin' Sam Adams' Summer Ale was a little more beer-y.

:wacko:

purple haze is pretty much sold year round, as well it should be. tasty stuff. The strawberry lager is found only around spring-summer. at least here that's the only time I see it.

Sam Adams is garbage? I think not. They aren't a small craft brewery anymore, but they still produce some fine beers. I'm not a big fan of fruit in beer, but the SA Summer is not too lemony. The Balckberry Witbier isn't bad for a change of pace. They have a new one, called Lattitude 48 which I really liked, a nice summer brew. Definitely worth a try.

no... it's not garbage, but it's very middle of the road.

And priced that way too. They still have some very good brews, but they do lean towards becoming a mass brewery, and not a craft brewery... um... didn;t I just say that?

And priced that way too. They still have some very good brews, but they do lean towards becoming a mass brewery, and not a craft brewery... um... didn;t I just say that?

i disagree. i find their best bier to be about C+...maybe B-

edit: i'll add that i do appreciate the variety they offer. they play with a lot traditional (an less common)types of bier.

Edited by Bier Meister

I sometimes think beer snobs and music snobs can be similar. I remember in the early 90's when only the 'alternative' music stations were playing bands like Nirvana, etc. and their listeners loved those bands. Once the music became mainstream the same music fans bashed the bands. They only disliked thier music because now 'everyone' liked it. It wasn't cool anymore. Strange how just because more and more people decided to enjoy that sound it turned off the original fans of the music. Makes no sense to me.

Good beer drinkers have some of the same tendencies. I see it in posts on Beer Advocate. Sort of funny.

Edit to add: I find myself guilty of this sometimes as well. I haven't purchased Sam Adams regularly from the store in quite a while even though I know I still like some of their beers. I buy more and more microbrews which I love but I wonder if I'm shying away from SA because I don't look like the beer dork I'm trying to be. :wacko:

Edited by Puddy

Not sure if you will find it but Capital's (Madison, WI) Island Wheat is the best summer brew I've tasted.

Island Wheat is also available year-round.

I sometimes think beer snobs and music snobs can be similar. I remember in the early 90's when only the 'alternative' music stations were playing bands like Nirvana, etc. and their listeners loved those bands. Once the music became mainstream the same music fans bashed the bands. They only disliked thier music because now 'everyone' liked it. It wasn't cool anymore. Strange how just because more and more people decided to enjoy that sound it turned off the original fans of the music. Makes no sense to me.

Edit to add: I find myself guilty of this sometimes as well. I haven't purchased Sam Adams regularly from the store in quite a while even though I know I still like some of their beers. I buy more and more microbrews which I love but I wonder if I'm shying away from SA because I don't look like the beer dork I'm trying to be. :wacko:

I used to be VERY anti-Sam Adams but have come around....they've got a solid portfolio. Not one of my go-to beers but in the absence of any better and/or more compelling choices, it's never a bad idea.

The Summer is, for lack of a better word, nice. Light, crisp with a hint of a bite. Great beer for after you've just watched your wife mow the lawn.