[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

***Official NFL Draft Round Two Thread***

CaP'N GRuNGe

So who goes number 1 tomorrow? Does a team jump up to grab Clausen?

Here's an interview I found with Vikings' GM Rick Spielman:

http://www.1500espn.com/sportswire/Spielma..._deals_possible

Updated: April 22nd, 2010 10:37pm

by Tom Pelissero

1500ESPN.com

EDEN PRAIRIE, Minn. -- The Minnesota Vikings might not be done dealing just yet.

Vice president of player personnel Rick Spielman said there are four candidates for the Vikings' selection at No. 34 -- the second pick in Friday's second round -- and that leaves open the possibility of another deal before the action resumes at 5 p.m.

"The biggest thing out of the whole trade scenario was that you're the second pick in (Friday)'s draft, which is huge," Spielman said. "And then you look at Saturday, and you're going to have the second pick in Satuday's draft. So, coming from the bottom of those rounds to coming up to the top of those rounds, especially when the day kicks off, we're very excited about that, because the way our draft board is developed, we have a lot of options as we go into (Friday), and probably will have a lot going into Saturday as well."

By moving back four spots in a swap with Detroit, who took Cal running back Jahvid Best at No. 30, the Vikings acquired the Lions' second-round pick (No. 34), swapped fourth-rounders (No. 100, up from No. 128) and a seventh-round pick (No. 214) that originally belonged to Cleveland.

Declining to speak specifically on any players -- "We have four guys on top," he said multiple times -- Spielman's account of tonight's events included the following:

* The Vikings made one attempt to move up within the general area they picked for a player who eventually was taken by someone else. (The five picks immediately in front of the Vikings were QB Tim Tebow to Denver, DT Dan Williams to Arizona, DB Devin McCourty to New England, DT Jared Odrick to Miami and CB Kyle Wilson to the New York Jets.)

* The phone began ringing heavily around the 20th overall pick, and by the time they did the deal with Detroit, three others teams had called while the Vikings were on the clock.

* A trade was "a big scenario" the Vikings played out entering the day. "We had a player that we would have taken," Spielman said, "but we also had a trade, and we decided to do the trade."

Spielman suggested multiple times the Vikings could trade down again to accumulate more picks -- they now own nine, including two in the second, fifth and seventh rounds.

Asked if he had any trepidation about trading within the NFC North Division, Spielman said, "No. I think the value of going up and having those slots that we were able to get was very important to us. And I think if there was a player at 30 that we were definitely sold on, that we said there was no way that we'd trade out of this pick to have that player, then we wouldn't have done it."

UPDATE, 10:46 p.m.: The Lions used the 30th overall pick on Cal running back Jahvid Best. Here's what Lions coach Jim Schwartz had to say about the deal, per our pal Kevin Seifert at the ESPN NFC North Blog:

"This was a player that we had a lot of really good feeling for and a guy that we had a plan for exactly how we were going to use him on offense. I was hoping for two things in this draft, one was to get him, I'm talking about Jahvid Best, but if we didn't get him, that he didn't go to Green Bay or Minnesota or Chicago and have to defend against a guy like that. ...

"They helped us out, we helped them out. They moved up in the fourth and picked up an extra seventh-round pick. Everybody has different agendas. I think there is a lot of things where trading a player to a divison, but I'm glad that Minnesota and Green Bay and Chicago (didn't get him). I'm glad we don't have to see this guy twice a year."

You gotta think if they wanted Clausen they wouldn't have put themselves in this situation with a team in front of them and alot of time for another team to negotiate a trade.

You gotta think if they wanted Clausen they wouldn't have put themselves in this situation with a team in front of them and alot of time for another team to negotiate a trade.

Given the Vikes recent history of draft day grab-assery, they may completely covet Clausen but didn't realize that the 2nd round is tomorrow.

Intriguing prospects projected to be available about when GB picks in the 2nd:

- Bruce Campbell, OT, Maryland

- CB Chris Cook, UVA

- OT Charles Brown, USC

- OLB Koa Misi, Utah

- LG Jared Veldherr, Hillsdale (MI)

- SS Major Wright, Fla

It's not like they have a history of trading up for a punter in the 3rd round or something. :tup::wacko:

Hey, that only happened once. That isn't a "history."

Besides, that GM is currently ruining a formerly-solid Big XII program, he won't be bothering us anymore.

- CB Chris Cook, UVA

- OT Charles Brown, USC

- OLB Koa Misi, Utah

- SS Major Wright, Fla

I read somewhere the Vikes were pretty interested in Cook.

I don't think they are dying to get him, but are still very interested. Despite yesterday's flurry, trading is easier said than done. That's easily the most interesting story for today's round. In fact the only one for me. It's gonna be them or if they pass CLE or BUF, who IMO get a steal. Can't say for sure by any means but my impression is that the chatter about Clausen's lack of leadership is way overblown and the guy has all the tools and did very well on some very lame ND teams.

Why did Kindle fall?

Allow me to point you to an article written by respected Longhorns beat reporter Chip Brown of the UT Rivals.com site. It reports on what he terms “a potential bombshell brewing” regarding the knee injury Kindle played with in 2009.

“There are a handful of teams who have graded Kindle as a ’serious’ medical risk because of his knee, which one team said looks like it could require Kindle to have microfracture surgery,” Brown wrote in the article.

I was wondering about him last night. That explains it.

Schefter says the Bills and Browns have both contacted Rams about trading for the 1st pick in the 2nd round...

I haven't heard this anywhere, but If I were the Rams - knowing that Clausen has slipped and is a guarantee to start the second round - I would call Holmgren and offer him Bradford. Talk yesterday was that Holmgren was hot for Bradford and willing to give up most of his draft. They could get Haden and multiple picks for Bradford and still take Clausen with their Rd 2 to fill their QB need. If St. Louis likes Clausen they could rebuild their team with this draft.

John

I haven't heard this anywhere, but If I were the Rams - knowing that Clausen has slipped and is a guarantee to start the second round - I would call Holmgren and offer him Bradford. Talk yesterday was that Holmgren was hot for Bradford and willing to give up most of his draft. They could get Haden and multiple picks for Bradford and still take Clausen with their Rd 2 to fill their QB need. If St. Louis likes Clausen they could rebuild their team with this draft.

John

Interesting thought. After all, I recall saying earlier this week that, if the Rams want either Bradford or Claussen, they were going to have to either take Bradford at 1 or Claussen at whatever 1st round pick they traded back to. So, assuming they like Claussen, and I have absolutely no idea if that's the case, they could get their cake and eat it to. Something they certainly had no reason to think would be an option had they made the trade pre-draft. Had they made the trade pre-draft, they would have to do so with the assumption that the best QB available to them in the 2nd would be McCoy.

Like always, they will trade down and claim they still got their number one player on their board.

It's not like they have a history of trading up for a punter in the 3rd round or something. :tup::wacko:

The Mike Sherman Reign of Error is officially behind us. Thank you Lord Ted for delivering us from that nightmare.

- CB Chris Cook, UVA

- OT Charles Brown, USC

- OLB Koa Misi, Utah

- SS Major Wright, Fla

hoping for DB or OLINE. I'd be ecstatic with any of those guys.

John

that would seem to make a LOT of sense for a team with as many holes as the rams.

Whats the deal with the crowd? A bunch of drunk punks.

Apparently you've never watched this on TV before-? It's a veritable missing link-fest.

Quick takes on Rd 2:

- CAR got a freaking steal. Course he could bust, you never know with QBs, but IMO odds are not and could really excel and worth a 2d round pick to say the least. Has all the tools and as for iffy attitude, I recall same said of Rivers. He doesn't seem to be doing too bad. Browns and Bills showed why they will continue to suck. They didn't even get good value on the guys they took instead. I can see them kicking themselves for years (although CLE did well to get McCoy in 3d).

- TB taking Price - well he's a solid pick at that spot except that they just took McCoy. Did well to get Benn a bit later though.

- SF nice pick w/Mays. If Smith holds up at QB this team could be for real in upcoming years.

- OAK did not make a silly pick so far. Apparently Davis died and didn't tell anyone.

- SEA got nice value and need fill with Tate at WR. Having a great draft.

- Colts' LB pick was reasonable but as much as I harp on Colts needing to draft D, I think OT Brown was the move on that pick. They need to fix that OT spot.

Edited by BeeR