[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

A little beer shopping tonight

Puddy

I also love them. I bought O'Fallon this year and thought it was mediocre. DFH is always good but I passed this year to try some others. Michigan Brewing's Screamin' Pumkin Ale was really good. So was Ichabod by Short's (I think it was Short's).

Enjoy.

I am drinking my last Christmas Ale as I type this. Going to the store tomorrow. Hope they have some left.

I got an email yesterday for a chocolate stout I want to try. Detroit Beer Company teamed with Sanders to create the beer. Sanders is a longtime Detroit staple for chocolate so it has my interest peaked. I don't think I've had any beer from DBC yet.

Im not much for the pumkin or holiday ales, too spicey for me. But the wife loves them and she picked up a sixer of Summits Pumpkin Porter. Still not my thing but I liked it better than DFH's Punkin or any of the Christmas ales I have had. It was a little pumkin-ey but not overly spiced.

For all the guests on Thanksgiving I picked up . . .

2 cases Great Lakes Christmas Ale

12 pack Sam Adams winter sampler pack

6 pack Resistance India Pale Ale from Two Brothers

12 pack Domaine Dupage French Country Ale by Two Brothers

12 pack Cain & Ebel Red Rye Ale from Two Brothers

2-4 packs of Old Rasputin Imperial Stout

12 pack Heinken (for my dad, who aint all that adventurous when it comes to new beer)

went to a different build yer own 6 pack store and came home with this today:

Founders Nemesis - barley wine (didn't know that's what it was - coworker got a diving board when he saw it so we each got 1

Founders Devil Dancer - Tripel IPA 12% (each founders was $5 per bottle

Corsendonk Christmas Ale

Bell's Christmas Ale

Bell's The Oracle double IPA

Southern Tier's 2XIPA

and on a whim, stopped off at my favorite beer store and found 2 bottles of

Dogfish Head's Bitches Brew - the beer covered on Sunday's premier episode of Discovery's Brew Masters. I called my buddy (who runs the beer tastings) and he said he was out 2 months ago...

went to a different build yer own 6 pack store and came home with this today:

Founders Nemesis - barley wine (didn't know that's what it was - coworker got a diving board when he saw it so we each got 1

Founders Devil Dancer - Tripel IPA 12% (each founders was $5 per bottle

Corsendonk Christmas Ale

Bell's Christmas Ale

Bell's The Oracle double IPA

Southern Tier's 2XIPA

and on a whim, stopped off at my favorite beer store and found 2 bottles of

Dogfish Head's Bitches Brew - the beer covered on Sunday's premier episode of Discovery's Brew Masters. I called my buddy (who runs the beer tastings) and he said he was out 2 months ago...

Nice collection. I'm the only non-retailer to buy a case of the Bitches Brew, so I'm the only guy with any left, because I stashed half and sold the other. The Nemesis will be a whole lot better in a year than it is right now, thought it's pretty damned tasty. Oracle was another that flew off the shelves. I didn't stash any, of course, because I don't think it will benefit from it.

Just went through the archives with my bar manager today. It's like beer geek Xmas every time. Thus far, we've just been stashing crap that we think will age well but without much intention. We're finally trying to get around to preparing little time capsules of mixed cases so we can just bury those and ignore them.

When I get a chance, I'll post the inventory. Pretty cool collection of stuff though.

Tonight is Mystery Beer Night at the restaurant. Not sure if I've mentioned it before. But we end up with odds and ends of beers, either left-overs from beer dinners or the last few bottles of something that we ran as a feature pour, stuff like that. $3 but you don't know what you're going to get. Everything is a quality craft beer though and there's a few cherries sprinkled in for kicks.

Tonight is Mystery Beer Night at the restaurant. Not sure if I've mentioned it before. But we end up with odds and ends of beers, either left-overs from beer dinners or the last few bottles of something that we ran as a feature pour, stuff like that. $3 but you don't know what you're going to get. Everything is a quality craft beer though and there's a few cherries sprinkled in for kicks.

Our local Flying Saucer does this, good times. You always get something interesting that you wouldn't normally order.

Our local Flying Saucer does this, good times. You always get something interesting that you wouldn't normally order.

Yep, it's pretty fun and nearly everyone gets it. In fact, the one loser who complained about the beer he was given was heckled by his group and someone just traded with him. I forget what he got, but after he got it he said, "I only drink IPAs, I don't want this."

Again, thankfully the guys he was with started in on him, explaining that if you want a freaking IPA, order an IPA, if you want a really good beer for $3 and don't care what it is, order the mystery beer.

Wow...very nice list. I've had several on the list but not most.

But looking at it, I need to work on the descriptions. Each, individually is fine, but as a collection, I keep going back to the same words. Which is understandable since the list has been put together over time. So it's not like I sat down at once and just banged out all those descriptions. It takes looking at it as a whole to realize that I've got two beers, one right after another that basically have the same description. Which, even if they taste very similar, comes off a bit lazy.

On top of that, the Highland Mocha Stout description references the Imperial Mocha Stout that we used to have but are now out of. Need to clean that one up as well.

Edited by detlef

Here's the most updated Extended Beer List.

Of course, we have other beers on are "regular" list. This is just the geeky stuff.

nice.

local chain (winking lizard- you might have seen me steer folks to this place when visiting) had a Stone night. It was only 1 location but the remnants were still there today. I had the Lucky on tap and the Sublimely self-righteous (amazing).

Congrats and wish I were closer. One day...one day.

Oh, before I hit the lizard, I went down to the Great Lakes Brewery and had a pint of their ode de'Bron called Quitness. An IPA which was so good, I had them fill up my 2L growler. While I would normally get the Christmas Ale, I decided to get a fill of beer not available in stores.

Edited by loaf

Stone Cali-Belgique

This was so delicious. A little different than anything I have had but I dont believe I have had a Belgian IPA before. I will again. And I will have Stone's version again.

That style is getting really popular and for good reason, because it's so effing good. Lagunitas does Little Something Wild which is the same sort of thing (but less expensive). Green Flash does Le Freak. They're popping up all over the place.

On another note, I popped some interesting brews this week

Allagash Victor and Victoria, both Belgian style ales enriched with grapes. Both beers that are more interesting than delicious.

Dogfish Squall, which is basically 90 minute with an additional dry-hopping session and bottle conditioned. Pretty freaking intense stuff. It's a 750 and one you're likely going to want to share.

We're putting Great Divide Oak-Aged Yeti on tap tonight at Dos P and I'm looking forward to checking that out.

That style is getting really popular and for good reason, because it's so effing good. Lagunitas does Little Something Wild which is the same sort of thing (but less expensive). Green Flash does Le Freak. They're popping up all over the place.

On another note, I popped some interesting brews this week

Allagash Victor and Victoria, both Belgian style ales enriched with grapes. Both beers that are more interesting than delicious.

Dogfish Squall, which is basically 90 minute with an additional dry-hopping session and bottle conditioned. Pretty freaking intense stuff. It's a 750 and one you're likely going to want to share.

We're putting Great Divide Oak-Aged Yeti on tap tonight at Dos P and I'm looking forward to checking that out.

speaking of DFH fusion beers, which they seem to really be into lately, have you had the Indain Brown Ale, or Poppa Skull? Love the IBA and the Poppa Skull is next on my list.

speaking of DFH fusion beers, which they seem to really be into lately, have you had the Indain Brown Ale, or Poppa Skull? Love the IBA and the Poppa Skull is next on my list.

Love the India Brown (perhaps my favorite DFH beer, actually). I've not had the Poppa Skull.

Love the India Brown (perhaps my favorite DFH beer, actually). I've not had the Poppa Skull.

I love me some ambers and browns. This weekend went shopping and picked up a sixer of Indian Brown and Lagunitas Brown Shugga. Love both actually, a lot. The Indian Brown is such a fine beer, nothing over the top, hoppy and malty at the same time. Brown Shugga was also very good and close actually in taste and lacing etc., yet the Indian Brown was just more refined and pronounced at the same time. F'n love this stuff. DFH best IMO hands down. Both finished pretty sweet though and both are sneaky strong.

I love me some ambers and browns. This weekend went shopping and picked up a sixer of Indian Brown and Lagunitas Brown Shugga. Love both actually, a lot. The Indian Brown is such a fine beer, nothing over the top, hoppy and malty at the same time. Brown Shugga was also very good and close actually in taste and lacing etc., yet the Indian Brown was just more refined and pronounced at the same time. F'n love this stuff. DFH best IMO hands down. Both finished pretty sweet though and both are sneaky strong.

I really need to get back and get some more Brown Shugga this week. I bought a sixer on a whim and loved it as well. Sounds like the Indian Brown needs to be added too.

Stone Cali-Belgique

This was so delicious. A little different than anything I have had but I dont believe I have had a Belgian IPA before. I will again. And I will have Stone's version again.

had it tonight. pretty tasty. had the fruitiness of a Belgian followed by the hops. made for an interesting experience.

Just tried the whole "Crooked Line" from Uinta Brewery in SLC, Utah. Really nice stuff. Wasn't much of a fan of the Imperial Pilsner but, then again, I have no idea why Imperial Pilsner should exist. Great idea: Take something built to be light, crisp, and refreshing, and jack up the sugar and alcohol to make it sweet and heavy.

However, I really dug the rest.

DIPA smelled exactly like Josh Gordon and hand great balance

The Labyrinth, which is an oak-aged black ale with licorice was thankfully light on the licorice and really impressive

The Bourbon Barrel aged Barleywine was certainly my style of Barleywine, certainly sweet, but not cloying or over the top.

All really well made beers. Not cheap, mind you, but very, very nice.

Also checked out this week:

Left Hand Fade to Black which is quite likely my favorite smoked beer as of yet. If you're going to make it smoky, make it freaking big so it carries it. So many are sort of tart and lightish so it just comes off all ashy. This one tasted like BBQ.

Left Hand Wake Up Dead Oak aged Imperial Stout- OK very tasty but, at some point, we're going to reach saturation in the oak aged racket.

New Belgium Lips of Faith/ Allagash Collaboration "Vrienden" (which means friends in Flemish- My wild ales selection was getting picked rather thin and, since we're transitioning to an all North American list I was really looking hard for some SKUs. Not many American producers make a year-round wild ale, so you kind of have to wait until they come out. Nice to see this one come along. It's enhanced with hibiscus (which I really like in beer, look for the one from Dieu du Ciel of Canada. Such a pretty, pretty brew) and endive (which I can only guess is lending some hop-like bitterness. At any rate, a fine brew showing nice brightness and floral notes. It's also way less expensive than almost anyone else's brett-beers.

Oh, and here's the latest extended list.

Just picked up a bottle of DFH's Red and White. Not sure how this will go down and reviews aren't great, but it looked so different I had to try it. Probably tonight after work. What time is it????

I think that's a pretty tasty beer. I like it better than the Black and Blue, that's for sure. It's been a while though.

Also checked out this week:

Left Hand Fade to Black which is quite likely my favorite smoked beer as of yet. If you're going to make it smoky, make it freaking big so it carries it. So many are sort of tart and lightish so it just comes off all ashy. This one tasted like BBQ.

Left Hand Wake Up Dead Oak aged Imperial Stout- OK very tasty but, at some point, we're going to reach saturation in the oak aged racket.

New Belgium Lips of Faith/ Allagash Collaboration "Vrienden" (which means friends in Flemish- My wild ales selection was getting picked rather thin and, since we're transitioning to an all North American list I was really looking hard for some SKUs. Not many American producers make a year-round wild ale, so you kind of have to wait until they come out. Nice to see this one come along. It's enhanced with hibiscus (which I really like in beer, look for the one from Dieu du Ciel of Canada. Such a pretty, pretty brew) and endive (which I can only guess is lending some hop-like bitterness. At any rate, a fine brew showing nice brightness and floral notes. It's also way less expensive than almost anyone else's brett-beers.

Oh, and here's the latest extended list.

That is an awesome list. I am so glad i dont live in that area, I would be a lot drunker and a lot poorer.