[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Jimmy Clausen = Punk

I still have not seen a viable argument to backup somebody's assessment that Phillip Rivers is a punk. Please give me some examples. Or are you talking about the Cutler incident. If you are and don't know the entire story, maybe you should research alittle bit there home slices before joining the rest of the ill informed.

Well here's one from your hometown paper:

Rivers earned his reputation during a 2007 game against Denver when he got all over Jay Cutler after the Chargers’ defense came up with a fourth-down stop. Later that season, he was jawing with fans in Indianapolis as he walked to the locker room after he suffered a knee injury in a playoff game. But he’s a tough guy. He had arthroscopic surgery so he could play in the AFC Championship Game the next week and then had ACL surgery after the season.

But it’s his mouth and spoiled brat act that gets him in trouble. In this season’s opener, he was penalized 15 yards and later fined $7,500 for taunting after he spiked the ball near Oakland’s Gerard Warren and started yelling at him. When Jared Allen played for the Chiefs, he and Rivers used to exchange on-field pleasantries all the time.

“That’s kind of odd for a quarterback to be doing that,” Revis said.

“It makes you want to get after him,” safety Kerry Rhodes said.

Scott spent the media period yesterday in the trainer’s room getting treatment for the ankle he injured last weekend in Cincinnati, so he was not available to reveal what he might have in mind for Rivers. Training-room time is the only thing that keeps him quiet.

Jim Leonhard expects Scott to bring his A-material to San Diego.

“Some of it is nonsense and some of it is hilarious,” he said. “Bart loves it when somebody talks back to him. He loves it when he’s in control of the communication, but ultimately he wants somebody to talk back to him.”

Scott is clever, he talks fast and is never at a loss for words. Rivers vs. Scott is a great matchup, although the quarterback insists his own reputation is not warranted.

“I think it’s kind of a perception that has been created. It’s not 100 percent accurate. I do like to have fun and interact out there with the guys on the opposing team,” he said. “To call it trash-talking is probably a big overstatement. I just like to play the game with a lot of passion and enthusiasm.”

Rivers had another outstanding season in leading the Chargers to a 13-3 record. They take an 11-game winning streak into the playoffs. He is 46-18 as a starter. Rivers threw for 250 yards and three touchdowns in a 48-29 victory over the Jets last season. But when Jets cornerback David Barrett returned a Rivers interception 25 yards for a touchdown less than four minutes into the game, Rivers started trash-talking with the Jets defense.

“He’s not one to turn his cheek to it,” Rhodes said. “He’s going to talk back to you, no doubt.”

Like it or not, that's a perception he has brought onto himself. Now good drink more Charger Kool-Aid. :wacko:

Well here's one from your hometown paper:

Like it or not, that's a perception he has brought onto himself. Now good drink more Charger Kool-Aid. :wacko:

And thats ALLLLL GOOOOOD. I'll take that perception any day of the week and 2x on sundays.

Got some Vodka to go with that Charger kool-aid?

Edited by tazinib1

Steve Smith is on the radio station WFNZ right now. He says that he never said it. He said if wanted to say something like that to Jimmy Clausen, he would do so in his face.

Being a local, I've heard lots of interviews with Steve Smith, and he is always straightforward and genuine. Smith tends to not deliver cliche or BS answers, so I find myself believing a direct named source like Smith rather than Mike Florio's unnamed source. I love PFT, but Florio is no journalist, and he reminds me of Mike Drudge, who has also published stories without at least two credible sources.

The difference being that Matt Drudge is actually right a lot more often than Florio.

I still have not seen a viable argument to backup somebody's assessment that Phillip Rivers is a punk. Please give me some examples. Or are you talking about the Cutler incident. If you are and don't know the entire story, maybe you should research alittle bit there home slices before joining the rest of the ill informed.

Rivers might have gotten cocky on the field now that he's adjusted to the NFL, but he's no punk. He stayed all 4 years at NCSU, married his girlfriend when she got pregnant during school, and was the poster-boy for how a star college athlete should behave. He's super gracious to the fans as well. Trash-talking SOB you don't like playing against? Maybe. But punk? No way.

Rivers is still a punk. He plays football very well, but he's still a punk. He may do off the field stuff, but plenty of NFL players do that IMO just to be able to make them look like solid citizens, while playing the game like a punk. I don't see Manning, Brady, Brees or any other SB winning QB ever mouthing off the way Rivers does. Sounds like LT didn't think too much of his style either. His opinion might mean something as a player who is a lock for the HoF, while mine means little to nothing. I'm just a NFL fan, who thinks Rivers is a punk.

Calling Clausen a punk is a bit over the top.... all good QB's get on their WR's when they screw up. Is that a QB displaying leadership, or being a punk? If he was right, he just might be a leader. If his critisism was wrong, then he just might be a punk.

The difference being that Matt Drudge is actually right a lot more often than Florio.

Yeah, but Drudge has missed the mark on stories that effected people's lives a lot more than whether someone called someone else a punk. But I digress. Florio does this kind of thing because it makes Steve Smith call into a radio station to defend himself, and the story is on local newscasts and folks discuss in the forums. Right or wrong, Florio continues to do an excellent job of generating interest for PFT. It's not journalism, it's just great blog marketing.

Edited by electricrelish

I agree.

I'm a Broncos fan, but even I can admit that he's a good QB and a decent person. He's competitive and jaws on the field, but I haven't heard about off-field issues or issues with teammates. If players on other teams dislike him, well, isn't that the idea?

I love the Tebow pick, but I'd rather have Rivers.

Yeah, exactly. Who cares if the other team doesn't like you? SD isn't normally a team I follow, but I've yet to hear guys on the CHARGERS complaining about Rivers.

Rivers is still a punk. He plays football very well, but he's still a punk.

because he trash talks a little? have you ever trash talked during a game of hoops? are you a punk? do you know people who might trash talk during a game of hoops? are they punks?

trash talking doesn't make somebody a punk - knowing that the perception of you is that you are an azhole and knowing its effecting your stock and being so conditioned to being an azhole that you cannot help but throw a teammate under the bus during a nationally televised interview even though it'll hurt your draft stock even more and make you look like even more of a punk kind of makes you a bit of a punk.

all the kid needed to do is say - we miscommunicated. that's it - but he couldn't. he didn't even have to accept blame - all he had to do was not point a finger. all he had to do was say what happened - but not whose fault it was.

and LT threw a lot of people under the bus when he left - not just Rivers. Seems to me that the LT thing is more sour grapes than anything else

because he trash talks a little? have you ever trash talked during a game of hoops? are you a punk? do you know people who might trash talk during a game of hoops? are they punks?

I think people just have different meanings for the word punk? :wacko: Some think acting cocky is enough to be called a punk and others think that since a multimillionaire's lawyer decides to have a "trust" that donates to charity (ignoring the fact that taxes would take the money if they didn't donate it) absolves them of being a punk. I guess it's all in perception.

ETA: So back to the point of this thread. What is this hugh story about Clausen. I'm related to a guy who runs the dorm he lived in at Notre Dame and I've never heard him say much about the guy. I know there was some bar fight, but that sounded more like he got sucker punched/jumped by a drunk angry fan. Does anybody else have actual reports/stories of Clausen doing things that make him a "punk"? Or does he just have the d-bag face (like rivers :tup: )

Edited by Square