[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Homemade Ice Cream

fingfootball

There are 2 excellent episodes of Good Eats that cover ice cream. Titled "Churn Baby Churn" and "Churn Baby Churn 2". The first covers Philadelphia style ice creams (those made without egg yolks) and the 2nd covers New York style ice creams (with eggs). When made correctly, the Philadelphia style ice cream is excellent and about a quarter of the work of the New York style. I'd suggest starting with Philly style:

Philly style

And then when you're ready for more work (but maybe a better result), try New York style:

NY style

When I crank up my ice cream machine, I generally make Philly style. Pretty damn good, easy to make, and lower in fat.

This is my grandmother's recipe that was always my favorite.

Ingredients

1 ltr. Nehi peach soda

7 peaches, peeled and chopped

1 c. sugar

2 cans sweetened condensed milk

1 can evaporated milk

whole milk

Directions

1. Combine chopped peaches, peach soda and sugar in a large mixing bowl.

2. Mix well and refrigerate several hours or overnight.

3. Remove from refrigerator and "mash" peaches w/ potato masher or by hand. Set aside.

4. In blender, mix 2 c. whole milk, sweetened condensed milk and evaporated milk. Pour into ice cream canister.

5. Stir in "mashed" peaches.

6. Add milk to fill line of canister. Stir well.

She also did a strawberry version that she exchanged a quart of strawberries for the peaches and used strawberry soda instead of peach.

Thanks these look great, will experiment all summer Im sure! Made this one for my first attemt, turned out pretty darn good. I did a few subs on the recipe. I grated a herseys milk chocolate bar instead of dark chocolate, I used maraschino cherrys chopped up and put in about a tablespoon of vanilla. Never could follow a recipe. :wacko:

Cherry Garcia Ice Cream Recipe

Ingredients

1 ltr. Nehi peach soda

1 c. sugar

1 can evaporated milk

whole milk

Directions

3. Remove from refrigerator and "mash" peaches w/ potato masher or by hand. Set aside.

4. In blender, mix 2 c. whole milk, sweetened condensed milk and evaporated milk. Pour into ice cream canister.

She also did a strawberry version that she exchanged a quart of strawberries for the peaches and used strawberry soda instead of peach.

How much whole milk?

How much whole milk?

I'm not sure about the measurement, but if you have a regular ice cream maker like this, then you just fill it to the "fill line" with whole milk after you've put in all the other ingredients.

Ingredients

1 ltr. Nehi peach soda

1 c. sugar

1 can evaporated milk

whole milk

Directions

Made this, good stuff. Thanks.