[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Take-out of shame

policyvote

Last night, I tried replicating a dish I'd had at Mitchell's Fish Market: "Shang Hai style" filet. I used cod, but you can use almost anything. Fortunately, they publish recipes on the website, so I had at it:

1 piece of fish, your choice, 6 - 8 oz.1/2 T. ground ginger1/2 tsp. salt & pepper1 serving sticky rice (cooked)1 serving blanched fresh spinach3 oz. ponzu sauce (available at Asian Markets)1 tsp. scallions1/2 tsp. sesame seeds1. Place fish of choice on perforated pan and season with salt and pepper and ginger 2. Place into the steamer to cook, each fish will have a different time, check for doneness every 2 minutes 3. Place rice in the center of a large bowl and surround it with hot spinach 4. Set cooked fish on top of rice in the center of the bowl 5. Ladle ponzu over top of the fish and around the spinach 6. There should be a puddle of sauce in the bottom of the bowl 7. Garnish with scallions and sesame seeds Serves one, multiply equally as needed for more servings.

Seasoned and steamed the fish while the rice cooked, blanched the spinach, chopped scallions on the bias, put it all together, ladled on the ponzu, got everybody at the table. We all took a bite and . . .

:wacko:

It was Ginger Napalm, totally inedible. The kicker: multiply equally as needed for more servings. I multiplied, but apparently not equally--and with two adults, two little kids, and a toddler, the portions weren't equal either. After the wife and kids grimly set their forks down, I hung my head in shame and ordered take-out Pad Thai. "It looks beautiful, honey," was the best my wife could offer.

Peace

policy

Edited by policyvote

Reminds me of the time my wife tried to make ginger-bread cookies when she first came to America and thought that the abbreviation for "teaspoon" was the abbreviation for "tablespoon".

A friend of mine's wife once made an apple bundt cake. The recipe called for apple cider. She used apple cider vinegar.

Peace

policy

every now and then you see cooks grab sugar or salt when wanting the other. very frustrating. if they are wise they taste early in the process. having to replicate before service is a real bitch.

every now and then you see cooks grab sugar or salt when wanting the other. very frustrating. if they are wise they taste early in the process. having to replicate before service is a real bitch.

Gah. What was so frustrating was that I smelled/tasted the spices, and I was thrilled because it was exactly as I remembered . . . either I just used way too much, or something weird happened.

Also wondering if I shouldn't try fresh grated ginger instead of dried ground.

Peace

policy

Gah. What was so frustrating was that I smelled/tasted the spices, and I was thrilled because it was exactly as I remembered . . . either I just used way too much, or something weird happened.

Also wondering if I shouldn't try fresh grated ginger instead of dried ground.

Peace

policy

Did the recipe call for dried or fresh

Did the recipe call for dried or fresh

Just says "ground ginger", which I took to mean dried and ground, rather than fresh. But I'm not sure how to work a tablespoon of dried ginger into a 6-8 oz. filet without getting the results I got . . .

Peace

policy

Edited by policyvote