[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Marty Gilyard robbed at gunpoint last night

tazinib1

WLWT Cincinnati reports that Rams rookie receiver Mardy Gilyard was robbed at gunpoint near the University of Cincinnati campus Monday night.

Gilyard was walking with a friend when two men approached them, one armed. St. Louis' fourth-round pick reportedly had a $500 chain and $90 in cash taken, while Gilyard's friend lost a $500 chain and $200 in cash. Neither was injured. It's believed Gilyard was specifically targeted by the robbers.

Source: WLWT Cincinnati

Every year.

WLWT Cincinnati reports that Rams rookie receiver Mardy Gilyard was robbed at gunpoint near the University of Cincinnati campus Monday night.

Gilyard was walking with a friend when two men approached them, one armed. St. Louis' fourth-round pick reportedly had a $500 chain and $90 in cash taken, while Gilyard's friend lost a $500 chain and $200 in cash. Neither was injured. It's believed Gilyard was specifically targeted by the robbers.

Every year.

In a perfect world, you should be able to wear what you want and not have to worry. In this world, wearing showy/guady/flashy/etc jewelery like these guys often do is just screaming "Easy Target: Please rob me!"

In a perfect world, you should be able to wear what you want and not have to worry. In this world, wearing showy/guady/flashy/etc jewelery like these guys often do is just screaming "Easy Target: Please rob me!"

Exactly, when will these kids learn that because you have money doesn't mean you have to let everyone know it..........I just don't understand that. Makes no sense to me.

A $500 chain sounds like a pretty conservative purchase by today's standards.

+1

Most of your wives/girlfriends wear far more expensive than $500 in total jewelry.

While I agree with you and budlitebrad, I think its a pretty well known fact that a lot of the pro athletes and celebs these days go with a lot of bling and the stuff tends to be "attention-getting" in style which leads to them being easily identified as targets. They're also known to carry a lot of cash. I suspect the two guys who got their chains robbed were wearing them outside their shirts and the robbers saw them and/or knew they would have them on.

Again, they should be able to go out wearing whatever jewelery they want. Hell, they should be able to go out wearing $100 bills pinned to their clothing if they want. BUT, in the world we live in, its asking for trouble, IMO.

Every year.

Hmmm, wonder if he can beat a jam on the line of scrimmage if he AND a friend get robbed by a one armed man :wacko:

While I agree with you and budlitebrad, I think its a pretty well known fact that a lot of the pro athletes and celebs these days go with a lot of bling and the stuff tends to be "attention-getting" in style which leads to them being easily identified as targets. They're also known to carry a lot of cash. I suspect the two guys who got their chains robbed were wearing them outside their shirts and the robbers saw them and/or knew they would have them on.

Again, they should be able to go out wearing whatever jewelery they want. Hell, they should be able to go out wearing $100 bills pinned to their clothing if they want. BUT, in the world we live in, its asking for trouble, IMO.

The bling that I wear is a chain that says Askin 4 Trouble. Thanks for the heads up. I will just wear it in the privacy of my home from here on out.

Then every body wearing a rolex and driving a BMW needs to get a timex and a buick before going out?

Hmmm, wonder if he can beat a jam on the line of scrimmage if he AND a friend get robbed by a one armed man

Funny Chit! :wacko:

That doesn't change the fact that they weren't rocking expensive chains nor carrying a ton of money. My guess is that a $500 chain is not that big or showy. I don't wear any jewelry other than my wedding ring but if I did, I don't know why I'd bother wearing something and then hide it under my clothes. It's certainly not hard to find a watch that costs more than $500, should a guy always hide said watch? What if he's wearing a short sleeved shirt?

I mean, I get your point about being a target if you walk around draped in gold. However, if we're going to use this as an example, then nothing short of pro athletes walking around in jeans, a sweatshirt, and ratty old shoes is going to make sense.

Then every body wearing a rolex and driving a BMW needs to get a timex and a buick before going out?

You know, it is kinda funny. I wear a nice watch, drive a fairly nice car, and yet I know what areas of town to avoid after a certain time of night!

Maybe walking down the street at night in an area where a robbery may occur is not the greatest idea in the world? Especially if you are a known figure (around Cincinnati, anyway), and people know you just got an NFL contract?

Just saying...

You know, it is kinda funny. I wear a nice watch, drive a fairly nice car, and yet I know what areas of town to avoid after a certain time of night!

Maybe walking down the street at night in an area where a robbery may occur is not the greatest idea in the world? Especially if you are a known figure (around Cincinnati, anyway), and people know you just got an NFL contract?

Just saying...

All I saw in terms of location in the post was "Near the campus". Was he in a high crime area? What defines an "area where a robbery may occur"?

Edited by Jrick35

Just saying...

Don't think he signed one yet, so the money ain't there yet to rob... unless he's been fronted some caish by a bank or a local "loan person".

But yeah, this made some people here in STL a little squeamish. He has been a very popular player coming in amongst the fans here. Be interesting to see if the coaching staff sees him as big of a WR option as us fans do.