[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

The Smokenator

The Wolf

I have a Weber Gold One Touch 22.5" grill. A buddy with the same set up told me today about The Smokenator. He swears by the thing but before I run out and buy one myself, I fgured I'd ask the ekspurts in here what their thoughts are.

http://www.smokenator.com/default.htm

Just so you know in advance, I won't be buying a BGE for another year or two. That option is out for the moment. :wacko:

How do you keep the meat off indirect heat?

I just use a small amount of coals and wood chips on one side, like the Smokenator would, and put the meat on the other. I usually put a drip pan below the meat with some sort of liquid in it. About once every hour I throw a handful of coals and wood chips on the existing coals. I can usually keep the temp consistantly around 215 to 225 at the spot of the meat. I can do 2 to 3 racks like this or a couple chickens like this. If you need to do more than that it would be tough since there isnt enough space. Thats why the hover grill is interesting to me.

I cant get to Youtube at work, but I think Steven Raichlen has some videos on there explaining how to do it. Check him out. He is good.

After reading your link further it does look like if you are doing larger meats, like turkey, it might be better. But for ribs, a few chickens, medium sized brisket, ect.. the indirect method I have been using works well.

Edited by Cameltosis

I just use a small amount of coals and wood chips on one side, like the Smokenator would, and put the meat on the other. I usually put a drip pan below the meat with some sort of liquid in it. About once every hour I throw a handful of coals and wood chips on the existing coals. I can usually keep the temp consistantly around 215 to 225 at the spot of the meat. I can do 2 to 3 racks like this or a couple chickens like this.

Bingo. This is all the info you need.