[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Rice!

SheikYerbuti

Tomorrow I'm doing kabobs on the grill, and serving them over a bed of rice. I like white rice, but the Sheikette says she wants rice to have more flavor. So, give me some ideas on making rice burst with flavor. . .herb combinations? roasted garlic?

This is the way I make rice almost all the time now. Dirt simple and has a nice little Cajun flavor.

2 cups uncooked rice

2 1/2 cups stock (use chicken stock with a chicken dish, beef stock with a beef dish, etc.)

1 1/2 Tbs minced onion

1 1/2 Tbs minced celery

1 1/2 Tbs minced green pepper

2 Tbs butter, melted

1/2 tsp salt

1/8 tsp garlic powder

pinch of black pepper

pinch of cayenne pepper

pinch of white pepper

Combine all ingredients in a 9x5x2 1/2 inch bread loaf pan and cover with aluminum foil. Bake at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 1 hour and 10 minutes.

Not sure if you want fried rice with the kabobs but I just made this on Monday and is was really good.

2c uncooked white rice

5 eggs

2/3c chopped sweet onion

2/3c finely chopped or shredded carrots

1/2c scallions

1c soy sauce

garlic butter (i probably used 1/3 lb total which I made out of unsalted butter, minced garlic and some soy sauce)

salt & pepper

safflower oil

I made this on the stove in a big stainless steel pan.

Cook rice as directed in a separate pot. In the big pan I greased using the safflower oil and put in a few tbs of garlic butter. Add the onions, scallions and carrots and saute for maybe 8-10 minutes. Cook scrambled eggs in a separate pan (I chopped them up pretty small as they were cooking with the spatula). Add eggs, rice, soy sauce and a more garlic butter to the sauteed veggies. Mix together well and add s&p to taste.

I also cooked grilled chicken on our griddle in the safflower oil and garlic butter. Diced it and added to the rice.

I got compliments from everyone who ate it.

What kind of kabobs? I used lamb recently and served over a mixture of jasmine rice, grilled (and chopped) pineapple, and cucumber. I don't think I'd do that with beef though.

yep! what is your flavor profile? ................

but here are some options (we can play with the ingredients to match your kabobs):

- fried

- steamed

- risotto

- pilaf

plus... if you like we can make rice cakes from the sticky or risotto...........

pilaf is so easy and you can create all kinds of flavor.

I usually use warm up 2 1/4 cups of stock, beef or chicken.

In another pan, I heat up about a table spoon of olive oil.

When the oil is good and hot, I throw in a cup of basmati rice. Coat the rice well with the oil. I then pour the stock and bring to a boil. Once it boils, I throw in a variety of things. My boys like when I cook up some chorizo and throw that in along with garlic, and pepper. Then, into a 400 degree oven, covered, for about 20 mins.

When it comes out, I throw in some butter (2-3 tablespoons), crumbled goat cheese, and chopped scalliions.

If used other cheeses (parmesean is nice as is feta). Smoked paprika is nice. Cayenne. Sometimes thyme. It really just depends on what I feel like and what I have around the house.

yep! what is your flavor profile? ................

The kabobs are:

chicken

onion

mushroom

zucchini

grape tomatoes

red, orange and yellow bell peppers

Marinaded overnight in:

olive oil

a pantload of pressed garlic

oregano

ground mustard seed

a little cumin

a little coriander

• 2 weeks later...
This is the way I make rice almost all the time now. Dirt simple and has a nice little Cajun flavor.

2 cups uncooked rice

2 1/2 cups stock (use chicken stock with a chicken dish, beef stock with a beef dish, etc.)

1 1/2 Tbs minced onion

1 1/2 Tbs minced celery

1 1/2 Tbs minced green pepper

2 Tbs butter, melted

1/2 tsp salt

1/8 tsp garlic powder

pinch of black pepper

pinch of cayenne pepper

pinch of white pepper

Combine all ingredients in a 9x5x2 1/2 inch bread loaf pan and cover with aluminum foil. Bake at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 1 hour and 10 minutes.

Made this last night, went with big pinches of pepper. Quick, easy, tasty. Thanks for the recipe. :wacko:

ETA: I used store bought chicken stock

Edited by slambo