[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Chris Johnson coming back stronger, faster

hooknladder

Chris Johnson says he's not mad at the Titans

Posted by Mike Florio on June 14, 2010 10:45 PM ET

Titans running back Chris Johnson, the 2009 Associated Press offensive player of the year, has boycotted the entire offseason program in protest of a contract that pays him base salaries that fail to reflect his value to the team.

But he's not upset with the team, despite its failure to give him a hefty raise.

"I like my team. I'm not mad,'' Johnson said Monday, according to Jim Wyatt of the Tennessean. "I am not sure what is going to happen. I am just working out right now trying get stronger and faster, and just been focusing on my workouts. I've been trying not to pay attention to anything else, really.''

The Titans have five more practices before breaking for several weeks until training camp opens. Johnson has faced no fines as a result of his absences, because the Titans employed no mandatory offseason minicamps this year.

Coach Jeff Fisher has said that he'd like to meet with Johnson, and Johnson has said he's willing to do it -- but only at Johnson's football camp.

"I will meet with [Fisher] at my youth camp if he wants,'' Johnson said. "I didn't ask him to come, but if he comes, he comes. But I am only coming in for my youth camp."

Though Johnson won't talk about when he plans to report for work, a growing number of league insiders believe that he'll comply with the 30-day rule, which requires a player under contract to show up at least 30 days before the start of the regular season or lose a year of credit toward free agency.

Offseason participation or not, Johnson has big plans for 2010. "I am just focusing on trying to stay in shape and being ready when I am back on the field,'' Johnson told Wyatt. "My mind has been on one goal, to continue to be the best running back in the league. I've had a great offseason. I plan on being even better than I was last year.''

If Johnson plays even better than he did in 2009, it could be time to throw out the record books. And, if it hasn't already happened by then, it'll be time for the Titans to tear up Johnson's contract.

This doesn't sound like he's happy either.

# How do u wnt player 2 honor their contract but the team dont have 2 honor it. If u dont wnt 2 pay a player early dont cut a player early. about 20 hours ago via UberTwitter

# Its like how u expect ur players to give they all and put their bodies on the line when you not willing to give them what they deserve about 20 hours ago via UberTwitter

i think they'll reach some sort of agreement...-if they don't, he'll have to play his way out of it. i doubt CJ will sit out and turn down a chance to play behind a very good O-line in an OFF where he is featured. if he puts together another big year he cannot be denied.

Of course he's mad about what he is getting or he would have been there from the beginning. To me it looks like he is trying a little reverse psychology. Holding out didn't work so I'll show up and be the good guy to get my contract redone.