[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Epic wines last night

detlef

So, a good friend of mine is one of the 100 or so Master Sommeliers in North America and was in town along with two others to lead classes and tests for various levels. Last night they came over for dinner. Six of us (plus my wife who excused herself part way through because the geek level just got a little out of hand) managed to get through 10 bottles.

The highlights:

Moncuit BdB- God i love blanc de blanc. This one was just about perfect

Wyncroft Riesling (Michigan)- Obviously thrown in as a curiosity. But was really, really cool and frankly more interesting than the JJ Prum Spat 07

Livio Felluga Terra Alta 2004- Actually opened it up because I was curious about an odd phenomenon and wanted to ask the experts. They've all seem oddly oxidative when opened but it somehow blows off, which is obviously strange. So of course, this one was sexy and opulent right from the start.

DRC Grand Esch 05- Dude. Yes it was all that.

Eugenio Bocchino Suo di Giacomo Lange- Gorgeous Nebbiolo/Barbera blend

Gaja Barolo Gromis 2000- Not one of his big guns but pretty remarkable none the less

However, the wine of the night...

1989 Gaston Huet Vouvray Cuvee Constance- Berry by berry selection from his 3 grand cru vineyards. When I poured it, I was a bit nervous because it was like chestnut brown. Not a good sign at all even though the color was actually pretty. But the wine was totally lively and succulent. Everyone pretty much lost their chight.

I've seen wines go to brick red before so I'm not totally surprised at the color although chestnut brown seems a bit dark.

Great line up... did everyone pitch in with the wines? If not, tell him to look Bier and I up, when in Colorado and we will make him dinner as well!

If a Chenin Blanc botrytis wine like this went to brick red, that would def. be a bad sign. The wine may have been in a 500ml bottle and the development may have been a little further along, causing the darker hue than the normal golden orange amber hues... this is a sticky that is drinking well now and should go on for a few more decades... I think that 89 was the first year Huet made the Constance, I'll have to check my notes.

Great line up... did everyone pitch in with the wines? If not, tell him to look Bier and I up, when in Colorado and we will make him dinner as well!

If a Chenin Blanc botrytis wine like this went to brick red, that would def. be a bad sign. The wine may have been in a 500ml bottle and the development may have been a little further along, causing the darker hue than the normal golden orange amber hues... this is a sticky that is drinking well now and should go on for a few more decades... I think that 89 was the first year Huet made the Constance, I'll have to check my notes.

They brought everything but the Huet and Terra Alta.

The Huet was in 750 and not brick red. In fact, as I think about it, chestnut isn't really the best way to describe it. Certainly brown, but sort of an orangy brown. Regardless, the wine was brilliant visually and outstanding in every way.

Really cool and laid back guys to be sure and I'll pass on the suggestion if you want me to. They obviously aren't the only guys who run around and do trainings/testings but they do get around.