[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Peyton Manning

Cunning Runt

I'm a Colts fan and it's perplexed me over the last few years when they have a "ready to win now" team why the Colts have made zero effort to solidfy their back-up QB situation. The Ravens signing Bulger made me think about this yet again.

I don't see why or how the Colts do not get a viable back-up on their roster.

I realize Manning's been amazingly durable, but at some point, that clock's gonna strike midnight and then what?

What's the deal with this? Why so damn reluctant to shore up a glaring weakness (backup QB spot) when it's so critical if Manning were to go down? I don't get it. I really don't.

Because Manning is such an exceptional talent that the Colts can't justify the expenditure.

You have a few reasons why:

1) Manning makes a butt-load of money, and it's tough given the salary cap to expend a significant amount more on one position - especially given Manning's durability.

2) A seasoned vet likely wants to play somewhere where there is at least a possibility of starting some time during the season.

3) If Manning does go down, a vet like Bulger won't save the season. The talent gap is simply too wide.

4) Given #3, having young guys allows IND to see if they can stumble on Manning's eventual successor.

Bill Polian is the one who drafted Manning over Ryan Leaf. Before he retires I suspect they'll ask him to do it again.

Good post though, watching Painter come in last year vs. the Jets did not go unnoticed.

I'm a Colts fan and it's perplexed me over the last few years when they have a "ready to win now" team why the Colts have made zero effort to solidfy their back-up QB situation.

A few years? Seems to be a Colts tradition that goes all the way back to the Bert Jones days. sigh.

What's the deal with this? Why so damn reluctant to shore up a glaring weakness (backup QB spot) when it's so critical if Manning were to go down?
Because Polian is a GD genius! :wacko:

PS I agree w/those who said if he goes down long term they are screwed. But they should at least have a viable backup if he goes down for a shorter span to hold the fort, or maybe win a key game (eg Bledsoe in the playoffs for the Pats that year that Brady took over). Instead they had POS Sorgi forever. Thank God they never had to rely on him.

because of what the Patriots were able to pull of with Matt Cassel, I am on the side of having a less expensive and young back-up that could get in late in a few blowout games or maybe the last game of the season since it is always meaningless for the Colts and maybe he will look good, then maybe trade him ala Cassel. I hear your need for more insurance, but if Peyton goes down long term (more than 4 weeks) then the Colts will have lost the only reason they win games, and the future will be now, so you will like having the young guy getting experience. Draft a smart kid who can learn. There are overlooked QBs, you know, just ask Tom Brady.

Draft a smart kid who can learn. There are overlooked QBs, you know, just ask Tom Brady.

Or Jim Sorgi.

:wacko:

Brady is a weak example frankly because finding a gem for cheap like that is a very very extreme exception. Their odds of hitting the lotto are probably better than hitting a player like that so late.

If you're going to draft a "smart kid who can learn," do it with a viable player who has a realistic chance to be something, not some late-round or undrafted schlep.

Meanwhile, have a VIABLE backup. They haven't for Manning's entire career.

....but if Peyton goes down long term (more than 4 weeks) then the Colts will have lost the only reason they win games....

I couldn't disagree with this more. Manning is obviously the main reason they've won 12+ games for the last 5-7 years, but yer nuts if you think he's the "only" reason. The team is definitely a playoff team with a decent backup, but not, IMO, with a Curtis Painter type backup.

I just think they've been gambling year in, year out that Manning won't get hurt. And I personally think that's a mistake 'cause this team could win without him with a decent backup pulling the trigger.

Edited by Cunning Runt

Brady is a weak example frankly because finding a gem for cheap like that is a very very extreme exception. Their odds of hitting the lotto are probably better than hitting a player like that so late.

Even as a Jet Fan, I can really admit the Patriots do a great job of drafting. Julian Edelman....seriously a talent and productive player like him that late in the draft

Since im a Cowboys fan I will use Romo as an example of why the colts do not do that. If Manning were to go down there is not one back up vet that can do what he does. With young talent there is no way either, but at least with young talent there is the chance that they are the next Romo or Brady if you want to go that far. I like the idea of having young back ups because they are cheaper and always have upside because they are really an unknown.

Since im a Cowboys fan I will use Romo as an example of why the colts do not do that. If Manning were to go down there is not one back up vet that can do what he does. With young talent there is no way either, but at least with young talent there is the chance that they are the next Romo or Brady if you want to go that far. I like the idea of having young back ups because they are cheaper and always have upside because they are really an unknown.

Thank you...it is cheaper and you have a shot at a Cassel type situation. The Browns are a good expample of how NOT to do it. They let Derek Anderson's value slip away. It is cheaper to keep younger late round players and develop them over time. In the Colts case, they would learn from certainly one of the best all time QBs. I don't mean that you want to find a replacement, b/c Manning is irreplaceable, just inexpensive backups with potential ala Romo, Cassel, et al.

So save a buck at the most important (backup) position on the team? No thx. You tend to get what you pay for. I'm not saying pay a ton for a backup, but the other extreme is even worse and is like playing Russian roulette. I just hope the Colts keep hitting empty chambers.

So save a buck at the most important (backup) position on the team? No thx. You tend to get what you pay for. I'm not saying pay a ton for a backup, but the other extreme is even worse and is like playing Russian roulette. I just hope the Colts keep hitting empty chambers.

you can't spring big bucks to back up every position, and they have had past injuries with Freeney and Sanders, so why not spend your back up money on those positions b/c at least at DB the 'backup' will se playing time in the nickel or dime plus at DLine you have a rotation so a 'backup' would get playing time there too. Why pay for a guy that probably won't even play?

Thank you...it is cheaper and you have a shot at a Cassel type situation. The Browns are a good expample of how NOT to do it. They let Derek Anderson's value slip away. It is cheaper to keep younger late round players and develop them over time. In the Colts case, they would learn from certainly one of the best all time QBs. I don't mean that you want to find a replacement, b/c Manning is irreplaceable, just inexpensive backups with potential ala Romo, Cassel, et al.

The problem with your line of thought is this:

Say the Colts start a season 6-0 or 5-1 or 4-2 (playoff bound anyway). Manning goes down for 4-5 weeks midseason (and it CAN happen). They'd may well go 0-5 with a guy like Painter running the ship and likely miss the playoffs, whereas if they had a viable backup, maybe they go 3-2 or even 2-3 during that stretch and still qualify.

It just seems the Colts have their blinders on with this one. Not saying Bulger is the end all to beat all, but I do think the Ravens got it right in acquiring a proven commodity. The view themselves as a team that can win it all THIS year and they bought themselves an insurance policy - one they hope they don't have to use. And I know the Colts view themselves the same way, but they're choosing to do it without an insurance policy, which IMO is a mistake.