[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Auctions: bid higher or lower for bigger/smaller leagues?

BeeR

You have to consider it this way - in a league of a $100 salary cap, there is 20% more money to be spent in a 12 team league as opposed to a ten team league (1000 vs. 1200). What you also have to factor in that there are usually about a dozen highly coveted players, and then about 30 or 40 more players that are sure starters and sure to be desireable.

What is most common is for top players to go for more money in the bigger league. Everyone wants a top ten RB and a top 3 QB or WR or TE. They will bid them up since those players are the initially taken ones and everyone still has money. There are less differences in the middle and end of auctions in 10 vs 12 team leagues but generally speaking, top players go for more because of greater demand against the same level of supply for "studs".

It all depends on how well you draft - you can build a great team in a number of ways. For many years, I would always hang back and then rule the board after the first 30 or 40 players were gone so I could build a very solid team with no holes. But in recent years, I have gone to coughing up the big bucks for one or two players and then just looking for best values.

It all depends on how well you draft - you can build a great team in a number of ways. For many years, I would always hang back and then rule the board after the first 30 or 40 players were gone so I could build a very solid team with no holes. But in recent years, I have gone to coughing up the big bucks for one or two players and then just looking for best values.

Hanging back is easier in smaller leagues. In a bigger league if you wait too long your team can end up very average. I saw a guy wait until everyone had spent top $$ on 2-3 players once. He ended up overpaying for mediocre talent and a terrible team.

Just like redrafting, there are only two rules:

1. Be right

2. Be right as late (cheap) as possible.

That's it. If you bid 50% of your salary last year on Rodgers they were laughing at you - until week 2, especially if you followed that up with Ray Rice, Brandon Marshall, Joseph Adai, Ricky Wiliams, and Thomas Jones around 8%, and Jamal Charles, Mendenhall, Sidney Rice, Miles Austin, and Steve Smith North at $1. Hell, they would have laughed harder at most of those if you "overpaid" for them, but you'd likely have a trophy to laugh back with.

• 2 weeks later...

Thinking on this and not sure I agree with hanging back more in smaller leagues. If there are fewer owners, that means more good upside kind of guys avail in the latter rounds, meaning you can more afford to spend bigger earlier and hope to hit the jackpot w/the later guys. ?

The smaller the league, the better teams that everyone has and the greater the need for true difference makers. In a 10 team league, everyone can have a decent team. You need studs to win.

Then all the more reason to go after those studs more aggressively early on, I would think.........?

I agree. If I am in a 10 team league, I shoot to get at least 3 top studs and fill in the rest the best I can. In a smaller league. there are always players on the waiver wire. If I was in a 16 team league, I may hang back and try to build a more complete team since several middle tier players can make a difference. Not so in a ten team league.