[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Hey, Dynasty Pros, need your help...

RWings

I'm converting my long-time main league to a dynasty league this season. And when I say long-time, I mean it...I started this league in 1989. This is our 22nd year and we've made many changes along the way (IDPs, keepers, auction, etc.). I've also participated for the last 5 years in dynasty league (ConFusion) here at the Huddle so I understand how they work.

My question is what you experienced dynasty leaguers think is the best way to populate the initial rosters. When we started ConFusion we had a starting budget of $10,000 and we conducted an online veteran auction spanning 3-4 weeks. Whatever was left over you could apply to the Rookie Auction. It worked well. My main league has been an auction league for awhile so that would make sense to alot of the current owners.

I know some leagues do a serpentine veteran draft and then reverse the order for the rookie draft. Man, those early picks are really valuable though, aren't they?

Again, I don't need all the dynasty league rules, but I'd love to hear your comments on how to do the initial rosters and what's worked well.

First is to decide if you are going auction or draft.

If auction, then I say set your min/max roster spots (some leagues allow varying totals, so long as a minimum is met, allows for some flexibility for the owners to build teams as they see fit) and have an auction as you normally would, with the intial year being open to any player. No reason to separate veterans and rookies in an auction format, particular since they are coming from the same budget/salary cap.

If doing a draft, you can go either separate veteran/rookie drafts, or do an inital draft where all players are eligible. I've done both. While I prefer all players in a single draft pool for initial years, I have no issue with separate pools.

The second step, and probably even much more important than the decision on intial draft/auction setup is if you will be assigning contract lengths to players, will following year drafts/auctions be rookie only or open to any non-rostered player, how to handle off season free agency, etc. To me, as these factors are your ongoing components year after year, they are much more important to wieght the options and come up with an agreeable format over the direction you go with the one time initial draft/auction.

Well, you already have some good advice by Big Country. I would also get a copy of rules and structure from a league already established. You don't want to hash out all that garbage when you can get a set of rules to fit the league as close as possible and just tweak it from there. Make sure you have some good people in your league. You'll need the help from time to time and the more competitive it is, the longer it'll last. If you have a league full of people that don't take an interest except to draft and put their line-ups in on the weekend, chances are they'll never be able to compete and will quit shortly. Good Luck

I know I'm part of a dying breed, but I did my first auction last year and, while I really enjoyed it, I'm still a fan of serpentine drafts. I think it's more exciting and challenging, at least as an "event." Now, if you want a more pure way to ensure everybody has a chance to build their own personal "perfect" team, then obviously auction is the way to go.

You have a good auction plan and a good serpentine draft plan (yes, the early rooks are very valuable, but so are those rare stud RBs you can get at the top of the vet draft). Just poll your league members and go with the majority.

I know I'm part of a dying breed, but I did my first auction last year and, while I really enjoyed it, I'm still a fan of serpentine drafts. I think it's more exciting and challenging, at least as an "event." Now, if you want a more pure way to ensure everybody has a chance to build their own personal "perfect" team, then obviously auction is the way to go.

You have a good auction plan and a good serpentine draft plan (yes, the early rooks are very valuable, but so are those rare stud RBs you can get at the top of the vet draft). Just poll your league members and go with the majority.

+1 I have done auctions before and really did like them but the thing they don't have is the trade aspect...there is just something about a serpentine draft and being able to move up hard for someone you really want vs just tossing more money at the player in an auction.

Well, you already have some good advice by Big Country. I would also get a copy of rules and structure from a league already established. You don't want to hash out all that garbage when you can get a set of rules to fit the league as close as possible and just tweak it from there. Make sure you have some good people in your league. You'll need the help from time to time and the more competitive it is, the longer it'll last. If you have a league full of people that don't take an interest except to draft and put their line-ups in on the weekend, chances are they'll never be able to compete and will quit shortly. Good Luck

Thanks, coach! As you know from our journey through ConFusion together, those rules are pretty good and the ones that I'm going to pattern this other league on. So i've got that going for me!

For initial rosters in a serpentine draft, I like vets and rookies in the same draft. Everyone must make the strategic choice to go for proven vets now or rookie potential in the future.

I hear you on the strategy, but I also like the idea where if you are last in the vet draft you reverse the order and become first in the rookie draft. There's something balanced about that approach.

I'm just so used to auctions and having a shot at anyone you want, provided you are willing to pay for them, that going back to a draft sounds tough. Those owners with low picks will not be happy.

I hear you on the strategy, but I also like the idea where if you are last in the vet draft you reverse the order and become first in the rookie draft. There's something balanced about that approach.

I'm just so used to auctions and having a shot at anyone you want, provided you are willing to pay for them, that going back to a draft sounds tough. Those owners with low picks will not be happy.

really? are u sure