[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

VJAx Suspended Three Games

kpholmes

I know his suspension will be upheld. I mean, can he serve the suspension while holding out?

I've read lots of opinions on it, so I'm looking for something concrete.

Big John?

What does the CBA say about a player who hasn't signed his tender being suspended?

The CBA is vague on this, letting the Commissioner decide on this. But all other instances of suspension occur when the player is signed and with the team so it serves as a punishment.

In itself, this suspension -- which, given recent history, could very well be reduced to one or two games if Jackson behaves well and shows sufficient remorse -- might not affect Jackson's fantasy value much. It seems strange to say, but NFL rules actually allow Jackson to fulfill his suspension while he holds out. What the suspension does do, however, is increase the likelihood that Jackson won't blink on his contract demands, at least for the season's first three weeks, since he knows he won't be playing anyway. It also makes a trade -- about which rumors have been flying during the past week, rumors involving the Seattle Seahawks and Washington Redskins, among others -- less likely. The bottom line: The Chargers are definitely going to be without Jackson to begin the year, and could still be without him for much longer, and I think it makes sense to drop him in our estimation a bit.

The important thing to remember here is the use of the word "can".

NFL rules say the suspension "CAN" be served while he holds out. They do not say that it "MUST be served while he is holding out.

The wording is vague intentionally to allow the commissioner the opportunity to handle each situation individually.

The precedent that has been set is one where the suspensions are not served concurrently with a hold out.

As to the suspension beiing reduced to something less what was originally handed down, that is not a common practice either. It was a part of Big Ben's suspension but the common practice is once the # of games has been decided, that is what is served, unless the suspension is appealed and the player wins the appeal, also not very common.

V-jax is supposedly not going to appeal so he will sit a 3 game suspension, my assumption iss that he will sit it once signed. That does 2 things. It does indeed solidify is holdout with the Chargers through at least week 5 due to them being off week 4. But I think it will actually hasten a trade if ione is forth coming because whoever he goes to(Redskins) will want him under contract before the season starts so they can have him by week 4.

I read the CBA and found no wording whatsoever, vague or otherwise. So I would greatly appreciate it if you or someone can point it out.

It appears that all such decisions are indeed at the discretion of the Commish due to the lack of language in the CBA.

By definition 'lack of language' = vague.

By your own words "It appears that all such decisions are indeed at the discretion of the Commish due to the lack of language in the CBA." If it is up to the commissioner's deiscretion then that allows for either option of allowing the suspension to be serverd concurrently with a hold out or not.

Again, I do not think that will be allowed. I think any suspension V-Jax serves will be after he signs a contract.

It seems we agree, don't we?

also, you're a d00sh for plagiarizing.

I didn't know I have to name my sources when copy and pasting something. I will try to keep it in mind in the future that I have to prove everything to you before posting something.

Yes I tried to plagiarize the article and I wanted to take sole claim of being the person that found out he would not be suspended if he held out 3 weeks or longer. You caught me! :wacko:

I didn't know I have to name my sources when copy and pasting something. I will try to keep it in mind in the future that I have to prove everything to you before posting something.

Yes I tried to plagiarize the article and I wanted to take sole claim of being the person that found out he would not be suspended if he held out 3 weeks or longer. You caught me! :wacko:

Actually, I assumed that ESPN plagiarized you, Muto. Shoulda played that angle... It would have worked.

• 2 weeks later...
I know his suspension will be upheld. I mean, can he serve the suspension while holding out?

I've read lots of opinions on it, so I'm looking for something concrete.

Big John?

What does the CBA say about a player who hasn't signed his tender being suspended?

Here's some clarification on the suspension/holdout (I guess, it's all kinda confusing)

:wacko:

So it seems that the Chargers have the option to have him suspended when he gets back, where he would lose 3 game checks, and would have to report by week 7 in this case rather than week 10 to "not to risk losing a year of service time."

This appears to give the Chargers alot more leverage by being able to place Jackson on the roster exempt should he not show up by the fourth preseason game, pretty much negating the idea that he could not sign his tender and go ahead and serve his suspension before he reports.

It really doesn't change the week 10 deadline though, but he could be regretting not signing that original tender offer.