[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

League hosting: to go w/free or not

BeeR

The CBS thread reminded me we're not 100% decided in our lg. We're probably going MFL but it's been a hard sell - the appeal of saving the $ esp in a smaller lg is big, esp since the majority of guys in this I don't think give a flip about most of the advantages of MFL. I know I could dig up some old theads, but these things change every year, so has anyone checked out the free ones? Why/why not use? I think MFL is on borrowed time, frankly, because each year the free ones seem to add more to narrow the gap. PS I like MFL, just an observation. My biggest selling point is having a lot more tailorability to do FAs how we want vs just a standard FC/FS or worst/first or whatever.

In the lg I was in last year they used Yahoo, which was bearable but that's it.

ESPN looks similar - when we used a few years ago I hated it because it was so cluttered with extra crapola, and like Yahoo the freakin fonts were so small. Has it changed?

I heard AOL had one but not sure if it's even around anymore.

Others?

Last year I had 2 ESPN, 1 Fanball, and 1 MFL. MFL was the best. We are not using Fanball this year (after at least 5 years) becuase it has had so many problems after being sold. We are switching to ESPN. It isn't great, but the league is small and will be nice to hand out more $. I thought the draft on ESPN worked great. I didn't commish any of the two, so I'm not sure how much control is available to make it follow the rules we have used in the past.

Edited by kcmast

the main drawback with yahoo is the configurability. as I remember, you can't have different scorings for different positions so it's either 1ppr for all positions or not. wouldn't work for us but might for you.

ESPN looks similar - when we used a few years ago I hated it because it was so cluttered with extra crapola, and like Yahoo the freakin fonts were so small. Has it changed?

I heard AOL had one but not sure if it's even around anymore.

Others?

If you are having trouble reading a page, use the [ctrl] and [+] (plus sign) to increase page font size. :wacko:

Because.........

Main reason is you can customize MFL unlike any other and truly make the league your own. You can use one of the dozens of skins they provide or modify them to take a league name or theme and run with it, change team logo and icon sizes, create individual team pages, modify the home page to include the reports your league wants. etc. The MFL forum is good, and provides years worth of graphic and coding assistance on how to make simple to complicated changes.

Customized league examples:

FUBAR League

Old School

Hard Core

I have had a league on MFL for the last nine years.

We made the switch from Fanball to MFL about 4 weeks into last year. We had been using Fanball for 4-5 years. Man they suck. My other local uses ESPN now because they don't want to pay for a site. We had used MFL last year & CBS the previous 8-9 years.

Main reason is you can customize MFL unlike any other and truly make the league your own. You can use one of the dozens of skins they provide or modify them to take a league name or theme and run with it, change team logo and icon sizes, create individual team pages, modify the home page to include the reports your league wants. etc. The MFL forum is good, and provides years worth of graphic and coding assistance on how to make simple to complicated changes.

Customized league examples:

FUBAR League

Old School

Hard Core

I have had a league on MFL for the last nine years.

Most of my owners don't really care about a gee-whiz look n feel though. My selling point was the customizing of rules, FAs etc.

I maintain MFL will see their business decline in the coming years, but hope not - my experiences w/them (going back to FFLM days) has been nothing but outstanding.

For a 12 team league it is about $5 a team if you sign up with the discount before June 15th saving $20.

Also if you run all your leagues on MFL you save another $10 per league.

Also if you have a footballguys subscription you save another $10 per league.

That's $40 in savings making your $90 league now $50 per league.

$50/10 or 12 teams is $5 per team or less.

If you don't have a footballguys it is still $60/12 = $5 per team.

So your telling me for $5 which is less than 33 cents per week you won't move to MFL ?

I would be curious if you could even run a dynasty league on a free league ?

MFL lets you run your league all off season as well...also MFL keeps each season under a 5 digit number so you have the history forever you just pull that number up 10 years from now if you want to see what transactions, line ups, trades, records, drafts happened back then.

Can the free leagues do that ? Can you go back to last year the year before ? I like to look at history.

So for 33 cents a league per week I am good for all the advantages MFL has over a free league.

I recall hearing a lot of bad press about Fleaflicker last year.....

Edit: created a new league there. I'd say it has somewhat more customizing ability than most other free sites, but it's not a night n day diff. Although really they're starting to all run together.....

Edited by BeeR

I've always been a MFL guy but also use Yahoo and CBS each year for my smaller leagues. Never had an issue with any of them. ESPN is the only one I really don't like. Gonna look at fleaflicker now, never really heard about it until now.

Also if you have a footballguys subscription you save another $10 per league.

Same discount is available for Huddle members. Plus, if you're converting a league from another site they can import your old league from CBS, Yahoo, or Fanball and you get a special conversion rate as well.

2V

I maintain MFL will see their business decline in the coming years, but hope not - ...

Also if you run all your leagues on MFL you save another $10 per league.

If they have all of Muto's leagues I think they're gonna be just fine.

I used to be 100% MFL, but when you have guys that are not as into looks or if it is a redraft league that doesn't have many custom needs(MFL rocks for Keepr/Dynasty) looking at free sites makes sense. I did that with a redraft a couple years ago. Went from MFL to ESPN for two years. It's not too bad and some owners like the "Fantasy Cast" live scoring.

I'm intrigued by the new NFL.com with the video highlights of your players. Don't know what it gives up in features compared to the others.

Was in a league on Fleaflicker the last two years and didn't really care for it.

CBS has been okay over the years.

Yahoo is annoying. I stay away from that if possible, but I know many swear by it.

Most of these you can do a mock draft to see what the live draft is like. I would recommend that. Don't know how many of them you can set up a league and then delete if you don't like it.

What would be nice, but haven't found yet is a fee site ala Yahoo or ESPN that lets you conduct a live draft in person. I know the league manager can essentially enter draft results real time, but it seems like it could be spruced up a lot.

MFL has an option for a live online draft, where you can set the time limit.

What would be nice, but haven't found yet is a free site ala Yahoo or ESPN that lets you conduct a live draft in person. I know the league manager can essentially enter draft results real time, but it seems like it could be spruced up a lot.

Fixed. I did mean free...

But I am probably just going to go with a excel spreadsheet again this year. I have the players names pre-entered in alphabetical order and color-coded by position, and then just cut and past onto the draft board when selected. Then project onto a wall, or to my plasma.

It makes the draft more work for me, but oh well...

Edited by Company of Heroes