[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Strategerizing… what’s the new angle this year?

Thews40

All you RB/RB/RB/WR/QB guys are gonna place a predictable 6th again this year. Any new stuff in the heads of the FF elite? I haven’t mocked it out yet, but value is key and the trade before the first game could be the way to go. My thoughts…

WR – Meh… you really never know and there are so many.

TE – One of top five nets you the top four if you know what yer doing IMO… two in that category makes you God in a TE mandatory league with the option to start both with PPR.

QB – Hit and miss for some, but the elite is always the elite… is it worth it to have two and trade before game one?

RB - Old school mindset, and with RBBC there are really only about 5 that even consider enough to carry your team.

Draft strategerizing thoughts anyone? Something new maybe?

Edited by Thews40

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If I am in slot 1.5 and even 1.6 or higher, I have been going WR every time this year. I can get 2 solid RB's in rounds 3-5 with an average of about 5 ppg less than the top 5. Not a bad trade off for getting 2 elite WR's.

Edited by tazinib1

I do what I always do....I can only plan things as they happen and anyone who goes into a draft saying they are going to do things a certain way are setting themselves up for failure...

of course there's nothing wrong with targeting certain players in the later rounds....but in rounds 1-7 you have to have your head on a swivel...

even if that means another owner getting a player that you want and in-turn you may draft a player that you know that they like.....

sometimes draft day (in my local anyways) is just a way of setting up for the real team that I want, but can't put together until a later date...but even that is risky....

it's all gut and luck....that's why we draft at the bar, booze up and trust the gut even more :wacko:

All you RB/RB/RB/WR/QB guys are gonna place a predictable 6th again this year. Any new stuff in the heads of the FF elite? I haven’t mocked it out yet, but value is key and the trade before the first game could be the way to go. My thoughts…

WR – Meh… you really never know and there are so many.

TE – One of top five nets you the top four if you know what yer doing IMO… two in that category makes you God in a TE mandatory league with the option to start both with PPR.

QB – Hit and miss for some, but the elite is always the elite… is it worth it to have two and trade before game one?

RB - Old school mindset, and with RBBC there are really only about 5 that even consider enough to carry your team.

Draft strategerizing thoughts anyone? Something new maybe?

What's your strategy? Draft value players? That's quite an epiphany :wacko:

I try to pick the players that will score the most points. See, because the team that scores the most points is usually the team that's going to win.

I see you've subscribed to the Grits train of thought.

In formulating a plan in trying to do something new, you pretty much have to be able to predict how the draft is going to go if you followed the ADP. This doesn't mean much past round six and you can't really mock it that late, but this year should be different with a lot of leagues going towards PPR. Thoughts...

QB - Brees is a lock. Since injury is always possible you can't really guarantee a lock, but this is as close as it gets. Manning is a lock to do well and there are more very good QB's, but when Brees has a monster game it's money.

TE - My manlove for TE's is no secret and with RBBC being the norm now and RB's being the most prone to injury, I suspect top TE's will go much sooner this year... much sooner.

WR - There are so many of them and they go earlier than they did a few years ago. Back when pretty much everyone started RB/RB, you could go WR/WR and make it work getting two elite, but I don't think that's true now. If you suspect WR's will go in rounds 1 and 2, then past the top tier there isn't value.

RB - In the past few years I've tried some stuff and just took what I could get with RB's late. One year I grabbed Thomas Jones and he worked out fine all year. This was a byproduct of having many years with injury using a high RB pick, and sometimes it wasn't with the RB but with the QB and the numbers suffered.

I guess my point is now that FF is going more PPR as the norm (my opinion) it evens the playing field. Things to consider with the #12 pick (my favorite) in a PPR with a mandatory TE.

If Brees is there, you take Brees and a TE. If Brees is gone, you take two TE's. In a biased QB league, go QB/QB and trade one of the QB's before the first game. The intent is to shift the draft and make your mates pull the trigger sooner than they would have, hoping to shift what's there in the later rounds. For those that haven't tried it, waiting for a RB1 until the fifth is actually fun, and if you nab a decent one off the wire they really don't disappoint you. I used Chester Taylor and Kevin Faulk last year as my RB2, and when they did anything I was happy about it.

A good TE on the roster is always nice. But I wouldn't want to have an injury there since waiting for a RB/WR/Decent QB in that roster isn't going to make you feel any better about it.

A "good" TE may be nice, but two stud TE's kick ass if you can start both. Think of it this way... what do you expect out of your #3 WR? What do you expect out of Gates or Clark? When you have two and they hit, they are both a golden goose that another team will always want and command a big name in trade. If you have an injury that tilts your team, you can always trade one of the stud TE's to balance it. Last year Witten didn't really hit as big as he should have, but his trade value was always high... that's my point... yes, I'm sure of it... stud TE's are money.

Things to consider with the #12 pick (my favorite) in a PPR with a mandatory TE.

If Brees is there, you take Brees and a TE. If Brees is gone, you take two TE's. In a biased QB league, go QB/QB and trade one of the QB's before the first game.

Taking two TEs with your first two picks sounds wacko :wacko: and I just can't see how it isn't bunk. Didn't somebody mythbust this last year? No offense because different stuff works in different leagues. But there is no way I would get anything but laughed at in my leagues.

Taking two TEs with your first two picks sounds wacko :wacko: and I just can't see how it isn't bunk. Didn't somebody mythbust this last year? No offense because different stuff works in different leagues. But there is no way I would get anything but laughed at in my leagues.

Gotta plan ahead. Go ahead a draft RB/RB/RB/WR/QB again and finish 6th.

:tup:Thews last year

Regardless of your best laid plans, you have to pick the right players. And when you are taking two tight ends or two quarterbacks early, in hopes of working one for a trade, you have to be right with both picks AND find an acceptable trading partner with an acceptable deal. Seems like a lot of hoops to jump through. I just like to draft the baddest assed players I can get and go to whompin on people. But that's just me...

Regardless of your best laid plans, you have to pick the right players. And when you are taking two tight ends or two quarterbacks early, in hopes of working one for a trade, you have to be right with both picks AND find an acceptable trading partner with an acceptable deal. Seems like a lot of hoops to jump through. I just like to draft the baddest assed players I can get and go to whompin on people. But that's just me...

Well so do I, but the two TE's gives you an out if you need it. Ever try and get someone like Gates after week 2 in a trade? Like I said, if you can start both, your #2 TE becomes your flex, and in a PPR they're as good as most RB2's or even WR2's. Since you have to have a TE in a mandatory TE league, that means prolly 5 good ones and then the hit/miss TE's. It's just a strategy and I understand that, and what swings it the most is the people you draft against. I have my target TE's and QB's, and when the draft changes I'll change with it. I guess the point is that waiting for RB2 or even RB1 isn't that big of a hit if your TE2 fills the flex slot. If the draft does swing and onter TE's or QB's are taken earlier, then it shifts the RB's down. We'll see.

Well so do I, but the two TE's gives you an out if you need it. Ever try and get someone like Gates after week 2 in a trade? Like I said, if you can start both, your #2 TE becomes your flex, and in a PPR they're as good as most RB2's or even WR2's. Since you have to have a TE in a mandatory TE league, that means prolly 5 good ones and then the hit/miss TE's. It's just a strategy and I understand that, and what swings it the most is the people you draft against. I have my target TE's and QB's, and when the draft changes I'll change with it. I guess the point is that waiting for RB2 or even RB1 isn't that big of a hit if your TE2 fills the flex slot. If the draft does swing and onter TE's or QB's are taken earlier, then it shifts the RB's down. We'll see.

I'm not poo-pooing your flex TE strategy at all. I presently have Gates and Dallas Clark on my dynasty team. Will flex one of them, and the production from that spot will probably be as steady and consistent as one could hope for. And those guys will outscore a bulk of the running backs drafted before them in PPR. But any time you load up on any one position early in the draft your plan will backfire if you don't get the right guys at those positions, and if you don't hit with some serious sleepers. Your strategy is fine. You should own the TE matchups week to week and hold your own or better with the flex. But as with any strategy, it is only as good as the players you end up with in the end.

I went WR WR RB/QB the last two years and won championships. This year is a little different and I am looking to draft early and get a RB. The past few years I was able to grab two top teir WRs and that is the only reason it worked. There is a thread about it, Brentastic had an amazing stat on 3 WRs scoring on avg with the top 10 RBs in PPR leagues over the last 3years. Fitz, Moss and Wayne. I was always able to get two of those guys and surprisingly at first it worked just as he said.

This year aside from AJ I dont see a real consistent guy, maybe Wayne again? Even the Elite guys have huge question marks and that goes against what made that theory work so well-consistency.

I figure go after Rice/Gore and then grab a WR in the second.

I went WR WR RB/QB the last two years and won championships. This year is a little different and I am looking to draft early and get a RB. The past few years I was able to grab two top teir WRs and that is the only reason it worked. There is a thread about it, Brentastic had an amazing stat on 3 WRs scoring on avg with the top 10 RBs in PPR leagues over the last 3years. Fitz, Moss and Wayne. I was always able to get two of those guys and surprisingly at first it worked just as he said.

This year aside from AJ I dont see a real consistent guy, maybe Wayne again? Even the Elite guys have huge question marks and that goes against what made that theory work so well-consistency.

I figure go after Rice/Gore and then grab a WR in the second.

I agree with a lot of what you are saying. It seems the top tier of WRs may be suffering from a bit of instability this season. AJ is no lock to get 16 games with Schaub. Moss is another year older. Fitz lost Warner. We could see a big shake-up at the top. That being said, I still think a lot of those guys are less risky than RBs drafted around them.

Btw, I've never drafted RB/RB/RB/WR/QB as far as I can recall.

But I do have to give Thews his props last year in the Ladder league when his drafting didn't work out so bad.

Edited: drafted was RB/QB/TE/TE/WR. But we did have discussion about his draft.

Edited by MikesVikes

TE's are easier to find on the waiver wire than a RB. If a new RB comes out of nowhere and haves a bustout week, 100% of the owners will jump at the chance to get him.

Then you trade one of your stud TE's to the guy that gets him, the waiver wire guy tanks, and you forget about your stud TE theory. Of course, this is just a theory. :wacko: