[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Strategerizing… what’s the new angle this year?

Thews40

This is a discussion board moran. Tell us your brilliant strategy... lemme guess... +/- 3 picks from the ADP and you wind up 7th again?

See you say that a lot, but I've honestly done pretty well in my leagues and have never done that well when I put an early round pick on a TE (gates last year). Granted, my leagues only give 1PPR to TEs so maybe it'd be different if they had 1.5 but right now I'm just not seeing it. Every league is different and if you really think this gives you an edge, good luck. I just think if this was tried in several leagues, it'd end up being bad news most of the time. TEs feel deep to me and I think even if I wanted to have the top 2 TEs I'd have a shot at getting them later than the 2nd/3rd round.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

See you say that a lot, but I've honestly done pretty well in my leagues and have never done that well when I put an early round pick on a TE (gates last year). Granted, my leagues only give 1PPR to TEs so maybe it'd be different if they had 1.5 but right now I'm just not seeing it. Every league is different and if you really think this gives you an edge, good luck. I just think if this was tried in several leagues, it'd end up being bad news most of the time. TEs feel deep to me and I think even if I wanted to have the top 2 TEs I'd have a shot at getting them later than the 2nd/3rd round.

TE's are deeper this year than last, but still underrated to a FF championship IMO and bookends work quite well. I want to know Qball's special take since he's a self-professed uber brain (insert response showing your vast FF insight and knowledge here). lemme guess RB/ WR and then QB?

Edited by Thews40

This is a discussion board moran. Tell us your brilliant strategy... lemme guess... +/- 3 picks from the ADP and you wind up 7th again?

Do you have short mans disease or a short fuse? Tell your therapist I'll retract if it helps you sleep better. AND IT"S MORON, MORON. If you're going to insult my intelligence, try spelling your insults correctly.

TE's are deeper this year than last, but still underrated to a FF championship IMO and bookends work quite well. I want to know Qball's special take since he's a self-professed uber brain (insert response showing your vast FF insight and knowledge here). lemme guess RB/ WR and then QB?

Now please quote my post, specifically the part where I profess my uber brain as you put it. Don't think I did but maybe you found something different in it. My point is I can't imagine spending a round 1-4 pick specifically with the idea of then trading said player to another owner. And in my league especially a TE. The other owners don't value them enough and will see me load up with more of them than I can start while light at another position and hold me hostage. Also, there is far more value to me to pick a player I can start at that spot rather than trade.

As for my strategy, I won't develop a "draft a certain position" mentality until later rounds in the draft when I know where I need to back-fill. Earlier rounds I like to see if teams are rushing to follow a run and in turn leaving a high value player in another position sit on the board. If I can get a top4 RB at the top of round 1 ok, if not I have to see which WRs I am comparing to which RBs when it gets to me mid to late round 1. I don't care which, just the best value. Then it also depends on how close to the next pick I am. If I'm then at the end of round 2 I need to see if a top 2 or 3 QB has fallen and if not go for the best value on the board in WR/RB. I will usually take a TE around rounds 5 or 6 and take my QB sometime after. But again, I don't go in to the draft with each round locked to a position. I tier my players and calculate during the draft if a tier will be empty or not by the time the draft gets back to me.

Now maybe in a vacuum there is a flaw to my logic, I'VE NEVER PROFESSED MYSELF A GENIUS, but I also understand how the other owners in my league(s) think after so many years. I have won leagues and lost leagues, a lot of variables determine that, the draft is just a small one on the list.

Do you have short mans disease or a short fuse? Tell your therapist I'll retract if it helps you sleep better. AND IT"S MORON, MORON. If you're going to insult my intelligence, try spelling your insults correctly.

perfect

Now please quote my post, specifically the part where I profess my uber brain as you put it. Don't think I did but maybe you found something different in it. My point is I can't imagine spending a round 1-4 pick specifically with the idea of then trading said player to another owner. And in my league especially a TE. The other owners don't value them enough and will see me load up with more of them than I can start while light at another position and hold me hostage. Also, there is far more value to me to pick a player I can start at that spot rather than trade.

bla bla bla... try making a point.

As for my strategy, I won't develop a "draft a certain position" mentality until later rounds in the draft when I know where I need to back-fill. Earlier rounds I like to see if teams are rushing to follow a run and in turn leaving a high value player in another position sit on the board. If I can get a top4 RB at the top of round 1 ok, if not I have to see which WRs I am comparing to which RBs when it gets to me mid to late round 1. I don't care which, just the best value. Then it also depends on how close to the next pick I am. If I'm then at the end of round 2 I need to see if a top 2 or 3 QB has fallen and if not go for the best value on the board in WR/RB. I will usually take a TE around rounds 5 or 6 and take my QB sometime after. But again, I don't go in to the draft with each round locked to a position. I tier my players and calculate during the draft if a tier will be empty or not by the time the draft gets back to me.

Wow… as far as a new strategy goes, this is revolutionary.

Now maybe in a vacuum there is a flaw to my logic, I'VE NEVER PROFESSED MYSELF A GENIUS, but I also understand how the other owners in my league(s) think after so many years. I have won leagues and lost leagues, a lot of variables determine that, the draft is just a small one on the list.

Either you really suck at banter, or you just like hearing yourself speak. Next time, pick an OP in the advice section where your comments will fit in.

perfect

bla bla bla... try making a point.

Wow… as far as a new strategy goes, this is revolutionary.

Either you really suck at banter, or you just like hearing yourself speak. Next time, pick an OP in the advice section where your comments will fit in.

One, I did make a point you just can't tell and two you've mis-represented my posts again. You still haven't quoted where I refer to myself as a genius or uber whatever and now need to quote where I refer to my strategy as "new". I didn't do that either but if you paid attention to your own posts rather than mis-direct mine with your cunning attempt at being cool you'd remember you asked for "my" strategy not a "new" one.

I don't see an advantage to your idea of taking two TEs early, sorry I offended you but I don't really feel like carrying this bs on any further. Reply as you will, I have more important things to do.

Big money league we start - 1QB, 2RB, 3WR,1TE, 1PK, 1DEF - no flex option

PPR scoring where TEs get double yardage points (0.2).

I won my league last year drafting like this:

WR-WR-WR-RB-TE-QB which resulted in - Fitz, Moss, Vjax, Ray Rice, Olsen, Mcnabb/E. Manning...

My strategy every year is draft low-risk players in the first 3 rounds (usually WR because I think RB carry higher injury risk). Then I go for explosive and/or young RBs in later rounds - if I hit on 1 I'm good (Rice last year). I always grab who I think will be a top 5 TE, sometimes I start the TE run, others I grab as soon as the run starts. Basically, I grab the best player on the board most of the time.

I start the same in my league....I drafted at 1.9 (10 man league) Took Moss and White in the first rounds and then at 3.9 I took Steve Smith Giants coundn't pass on him....Comes back around in the fourth and I took vernon davis....I then with my next 3 picks got jamal charles justin forsett and pierre thomas so everything not drafting a rb early worked out 4 me

Big money league we start - 1QB, 2RB, 3WR,1TE, 1PK, 1DEF - no flex option

PPR scoring where TEs get double yardage points (0.2).

I won my league last year drafting like this:

WR-WR-WR-RB-TE-QB which resulted in - Fitz, Moss, Vjax, Ray Rice, Olsen, Mcnabb/E. Manning...

My strategy every year is draft low-risk players in the first 3 rounds (usually WR because I think RB carry higher injury risk). Then I go for explosive and/or young RBs in later rounds - if I hit on 1 I'm good (Rice last year). I always grab who I think will be a top 5 TE, sometimes I start the TE run, others I grab as soon as the run starts. Basically, I grab the best player on the board most of the time.

Worked out well getting a guy like Rice in the 4th...he will be gone by the 4th pick in my league. See anyone with the potential to be a round 4 "rice" pick this year? I'm seeing Bush/TJones/LJohnson as possibles there. Foster and Harrison would have been but are creeping up IMO and with that Hardesty might be sliding back. We have a rookie keeper rule though so Hardesty will go a bit earlier than he should.

Worked out well getting a guy like Rice in the 4th...he will be gone by the 4th pick in my league. See anyone with the potential to be a round 4 "rice" pick this year? I'm seeing Bush/TJones/LJohnson as possibles there. Foster and Harrison would have been but are creeping up IMO and with that Hardesty might be sliding back. We have a rookie keeper rule though so Hardesty will go a bit earlier than he should.

As far as a new strategy goes trying new things against the grain, I highly suggest you newbies take note of this fascinating post. The wisdom to be gained in the cutting edge razor sharp wisdom is so earth shatteringly new, it borders on shear genius. Bravo Qball86… bravo. :wacko:

Edited by Thews40

I start the same in my league....I drafted at 1.9 (10 man league) Took Moss and White in the first rounds and then at 3.9 I took Steve Smith Giants coundn't pass on him....Comes back around in the fourth and I took vernon davis....I then with my next 3 picks got jamal charles justin forsett and pierre thomas so everything not drafting a rb early worked out 4 me

Must be nice... two of those RBs will be gone by the end of the 2nd round in the majority of leagues this year, much less out there in the 5th through 7th

I never understand the guys that develop a plan prior to the draft ... something like RB/RB/WR/WR/QB or whatever. If the entire draft pans out the way you anticipate then I can see how developing a plan beforehand might pay off ... but when has the draft ever gone the way you thought?

In years past I have subscribed heavily to the idea that I should probably have 2 RBs in the first 3 picks (whatever the order). More and more I am deciding that I can pass on the second RB if I am getting a top notch player in another position - better to have a difference maker than an average RB.

I never understand the guys that develop a plan prior to the draft ... something like RB/RB/WR/WR/QB or whatever. If the entire draft pans out the way you anticipate then I can see how developing a plan beforehand might pay off ... but when has the draft ever gone the way you thought?

In years past I have subscribed heavily to the idea that I should probably have 2 RBs in the first 3 picks (whatever the order). More and more I am deciding that I can pass on the second RB if I am getting a top notch player in another position - better to have a difference maker than an average RB.

I had an idea of what I want to do, but I wouldnt call it a plan. This year drafting from #8, I think most guys in that slot have to be thinking wr/wr only becuase of the options there. You pretty much are looking at wr-wr unless someone like DWill(the only rb I liked there) was there. I did like a ton of RBs that I felt I could get later though, which kind of pushed me in the direction of taking so many WRs.

Now, anyone with a plan was completely destroyed in the league I mentioned above, two guys taking 7 WRs in the first 4 rounds. I would have never thought I would have done anything like what I did, but given what was left on the board the WRs were the better guys.

during the first smoke break, whip out the good stuff and get your competition in a stuper. their first pick after the break will be the a waste.

:wacko:

oh yeah, and be sure to have The Wall or Led Zep 4 disc set playing on the TV to keep them spellbound.

Edited by Scooby's Hubby

during the first smoke break, whip out the good stuff and get your competition in a stuper. their first pick after the break will be the a waste.

:wacko:

oh yeah, and be sure to have The Wall or Led Zep 4 disc set playing on the TV to keep them spellbound.

This happened last year. We took a break after the 8th round (mid-point) and when we came back, one of the guys freaked out and took a kicker. To this day, we're not sure why he did this. :tup:

This happened last year. We took a break after the 8th round (mid-point) and when we came back, one of the guys freaked out and took a kicker. To this day, we're not sure why he did this. :wacko:

he had a 'freak out', man (or dude if you prefer) :tup: ... like Sgt. Stadenko in Up in Smoke

Edited by Scooby's Hubby

Back to the topic, my goal is to end up with probably 3 RBs, 2 WRs, and 1 QB or TE in the first six rounds. I probably will go RB/WR or WR/RB unless I have a chance at Rodgers and Brees late 1st early 2nd. If I take a QB early, I am more than likely to wait until late to pick a TE. Overall, once I lockup a stud WR, I want to hit RBs heavier than WRs. It just seems like the RB talent falls off a cliff much earlier than the WRs do. Then I can take a flier on several later WRs with upside and count on a couple hitting. It just seems easier to hit on WRs taken late than it is to hit on late RBs.

First impressions on this year is that RB’s are deep and WR’s are light. TE’s are always my fav and this year they are deep, but I talk too much and it’s Penny Laneing everything up…. RB’s are deep… that’s the key to this year IMO. There are so many past hero’s being left late that a few will hit… more than a few. Draft your first RB in the 5th... 2 cents.

First impressions on this year is that RB’s are deep and WR’s are light. TE’s are always my fav and this year they are deep, but I talk too much and it’s Penny Laneing everything up…. RB’s are deep… that’s the key to this year IMO. There are so many past hero’s being left late that a few will hit… more than a few. Draft your first RB in the 5th... 2 cents.

Agreed. This is how it's been the last few years IMO. I will be drafting top tier WRs early and then stacking up on explosive high risk/high reward RBs later, hoping to hit on 1 or 2 of them. This strategy has served me well in my big money league. Last 4 years I have placed 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 2nd using this strategy. I will clarify - the strategy being, draft the best player on the board and if a given position is scarce, get that position solidified first. There are literally about 40 RBs who could all have good numbers and if you don't get a top 5 RB, it's best to wait on RB until round 4+.

How can you not have a plan Grits? When I pulled on Gates in the 3rd (Ladder HOF) at 3.05, two more went in the third. The thing about starting a run is when the first pull happens and where. It would have been better to pull at the turn, but luck wouldn't have it. I wound up with Gates/Witten again and I'm real happy about it, but I almost went with Gonzo... hugh upside IMO. After Gonzo it all gets dark a TE... Zach "stone-hands" Miller ain't gonna make it, but guys like Forte, LT, Bush (NO), should be ok. What a long strange trip it's been.

Edited by Thews40

I was gonna go RB, RB, RB...but that plan quickly fell through. I had the 1st pick in a 12 team, snake draft so by 24th overall I was left with a bunch of 2nd tier RB's and an excellent QB and WR to choose from. With my 2nd and 3rd picks I picked up Miles Austin and Matt Schaub. I then returned to the RB board and flip flopped between RB's and WR's for the next few rounds. I came out decent in the RB slot, with Brandon Jacobs, Jerome Harrison, Willis MCgahee, Bernard Scott, and Marshawn Lynch. I am glad I was able to hop on Miles Austin and Matt Schaub though. Hopefully this strategy pays off.