[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Clinton Portis

hooknladder

Clinton Portis earns offseason praise, for once

Posted by Evan Silva on July 15, 2010 2:35 PM ET

Redskins running back Clinton Portis' disdain for practicing is well documented. He does not like the offseason program, and typically is averse to in-season practicing as well. Portis also has admitted that he wasn't a big fan of former Skins head coach Jim Zorn.

According to the Washington Post, Portis "was energized by the firing" of Zorn and subsequent hiring of old Denver pal Mike Shanahan. Under Shanahan, Portis has reportedly turned over a new leaf.

People familiar with the tailback's thinking tell the Post that Portis is "determined" to prove that he can be a 1,500-yard back again. He is fully expected to beat out Larry Johnson and Willie Parker for the starting job after an offseason in which Portis "surprised many in the organization with his positive outlook and hard work."

Portis has reportedly also shed weight, and is down to 217 after playing above 230 pounds last season.

Trimming down, of course, won't decrease the probability of Portis suffering more concussions. Portis wasn't medically cleared to resume practicing at minicamps until April. He was placed on injured reserve last December.

Despite the Post's glowing praise, we'd hesitate to expect a rebound year from Portis. He is coming off an injury-ruined season and ranks fourth among active running backs in career carries. Consider him an extreme long shot to make it through 16 games.

any takers? :wacko:

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

blah blah blah.

However he is currently going for almost minimum in auction mocks and I'm all over him for that kind of price. FWP is all but gone (or is he already) and LJ will take some touches, but I can see Portis cracking 1000 once more, if only barely. No I wouldn't count on it to say the least, but again for a cheap price..............

I live in DC, people are optimistic about the team and about portis.

Lol I guess somebody has to be! Might as well be those who root for them has to mean they are gonna be outta site this year :wacko:

:tup:

Edited by Sunday Couch Potatoe

Lol I guess somebody has to be! Might as well be those who root for them has to mean they are gonna be outta site this year :wacko:

:tup:

Apparently Shannahan has him working and practicing harder. He lost some weight and hopefully has another season or two in him. Im not saying hes a top running back, but for where his ADP is, hes a solid pick.

Are they the same people that are optimistic about Obama?

Hope and change! Hope and change!

ie I hope I never have to start him and my starters don't change so much I'm in that spot. :wacko: But cmon, as a cheap pickup how do you not pick the de facto starter for a team? LJ isn't about to take the job away and IMO will only get token carries (maybe 100 for the year ish). FWP is all but gone. Is Betts even still around? etc. Well worth a $1-2 auction bid or late pick.

This thread is useless without Big Eddie McCracken weighing in . . . .:tup:

My initial instict was to avoid this thread after the heated debate and bad blood that ensued, but if someone is truly interested in my slant, here it is. I basically feel the same about Portis this year as I did last year, in that he represents IMO a low end RB4 or RB5. The difference this year is that instead being a top 15-20 pick, Portis will actually have some value, as his ADP is currently around 100(i'd imagine it'll rise) and anywhere from the 9th round on, I'd consider taking him. Last year I felt Portis was likely to see a production decline, as his workload had been huge in a short time and he had reached a point (the 2,000 carry mark) which a tiny percentage of running backs ever have reached and an even smaller amount have had success beyond that point. I simply decided to mitigate the pitfalls of the early rounds and not draft what I considered to be aging RB's. That said this year with his stock down Portis is neither likely to be high risk or high reward :wacko:

Edited by Big Ernie McCracken