[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Chris Johnson....

And that would prove that the masses are borderline retarded. How you can be as dominant as he was, for as long as he was knocks over-rated talk out of the question. To say he's over rated because he played on one of the greatest teams ever is equally as stupid. Jerry Rice played with a hell of a cast. Walter played with one of the greatest defenses of all time. I guess the only player that's great is B. Sanders?

Chris Johnson still isn't at a level where he can hold LT's jock. And LT can't holt Emmitt's jock.

Unbelievable... Two years in and you guys are praising him and trying to knock the all time rushing leader.

are you talking about stats or pure ability?...Emmitt was on a great team and one of the best OL's of all time even...especially when you throw Moose into the mix...their whole blocking scheme was dominant starting the '92 season through the next 5 years....

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

having the best OL and FB in front of you helps that...

Barry sanders would have been the greatest RB of all time if he played on Dallas at that time..

I think you're missing the point as well. Emmitt Smith is one of the top five at the position, as is Barry Sanders. Not that it matters but Jim Brown would still be the best all time even if Sanders had played in Dallas.

are you talking about stats or pure ability?...Emmitt was on a great team and one of the best OL's of all time even...especially when you throw Moose into the mix...their whole blocking scheme was dominant starting the '92 season through the next 5 years....

How about pure ability to play an entire career the way he did. Chris Johnson has played in the league two years. Comparing him or saying he's better than a legand is insanity. There have been Chris Johnsons before... Jamal Lewis had a 2000 yard season, Shaun Alexander was a monster for a few years. He has a LONG way to go before he's in Tomlinson territory, and an even further way to go to be compared to Smith.

Thats it. Jerry Rice was only good because he had Montana, Young and Gannon throwing to him. He can't be the best because he played on good teams. Andre Johnson is the greatest ever.

I think you're missing the point as well. Emmitt Smith is one of the top five at the position, as is Barry Sanders. Not that it matters but Jim Brown would still be the best all time even if Sanders had played in Dallas.

How about pure ability to play an entire career the way he did. Chris Johnson has played in the league two years. Comparing him or saying he's better than a legand is insanity. There have been Chris Johnsons before... Jamal Lewis had a 2000 yard season, Shaun Alexander was a monster for a few years. He has a LONG way to go before he's in Tomlinson territory, and an even further way to go to be compared to Smith.

Thats it. Jerry Rice was only good because he had Montana, Young and Gannon throwing to him. He can't be the best because he played on good teams. Andre Johnson is the greatest ever.

not if he shattered his records....it would be "debatable"....and Jim Brown would probably be favored, but numbers-wise - Barry would have beat him out across the board with that kind of blocking...

edit: and you're wrong about Rice...he had perfect route running and was clutch - we may never know if AJ is clutch, but he doesn't surpass Rice unless proven in a big game...which Fitzgerald has on his resume...

Edited by Avernus

not if he shattered his records....it would be "debatable"....and Jim Brown would probably be favored, but numbers-wise - Barry would have beat him out across the board with that kind of blocking...

Ugh we're way off topic. Sanders, Smith and Brown are all in the top 5 of all time. And no one, regardless of how good season 1 and 2 went should be compared to any of those guys.

Ugh we're way off topic. Sanders, Smith and Brown are all in the top 5 of all time. And no one, regardless of how good season 1 and 2 went should be compared to any of those guys.

we're not off topic...Emmitt Smith is the most overrated RB in NFL history...

Before the 1993 season, Emmit Smith was a holdout. An $8-million difference with management kept him away from the team for 64 days. Dallas' 0-2 start led owner Jerry Jones to sign Smith to a four-year, $13.6-million contract, which, at the time, made him the highest-paid running back in NFL history.

I guess he was a whiny bitch too....who has NEVER SNIFFED a 2,000 yard season....

By the way, that year he ended up with 1900 yds from scrimmage in only 13 starts and in three of the games he played that season had a combined 27 touches... and I won't even mention the 168 yds rushing and 10-60 receiving in the season finale over the Giants after separating his shoulder in the 2nd quarter... ok so maybe I will mention it.

CJ does deserve more money if for no other reason than they originally signed him to share the load with some other guy (hmmm) and now he is "the guy".

It's fun reading these threads and the news put out about contracts how some information is carefully omitted...

TEN took a risk on Johnson after drafting him in 2008 and paid him just over $2M in a signing bonus before the guy ever played a down in the NFL. TEN further took a risk and paid him additional guaranteed money of $1.125M in 2008 just for making the roster - not being a significantly contributing player, but merely making the roster - and did the same thing in 2009 for $3.86M guaranteed. That means TEN has put $8.44M in Johnson's pocket already, most of which was guaranteed money no matter what his performance on the field was.

Now TEN is asking Johnson to take some risk just like they did earlier in Johnson's career, and you never seem to hear much about what TEN has already paid Johnson to date of the risks in capital they took when signing him, but instead we hear that he's only scheduled to get paid $550K this year.

Well, son, that's the contract you signed. I don't recall you compalining when you were "forced" to cash that $2+M signing bonus check before TEN even knew if you could contribute to the team, or that $3.86M check last year before the season even started. If you thought you were going to be such a superstar, you should have offered to take less guaranteed money in exchange for large incentive clauses - something TEN would have been overjoyed to do for you when you were signing your rookie contract. And let's not forget the time/value of money and that the guaranteed money you took up front was worth more than if it were spread out across the next few seasons - the front loaded contract benefited you more than simply getting the bonuses up front. If you invested conservatively and wisely you ought to be set for life right now without even playing another down if you so chose.

That said, TEN ought to get this guy signed while they have the leverage of the next three contracted years over him and they can get dimes on the dollar for future services with a new contract for Johnson. He's proven he can play at a high level in the NFL and it makes sense to keep him locked in if they can do it - it's a pretty good investment provided that Johnson doesn't end up wanting to get paid like the top back in the league for another 5 to 6 years. That makes it a win-win situation provided that Johnson doesn't go back on his word and try to renegotiate the renegoiated contract yet again in the future.

A part of me wants to see TEN call Johnson's bluff, though, and see if a Ringer/Blount combo could put up similar numbers to what Johnson did last year. Something tells me it would be a lot closer than Johnson would care to admit...

Edited by Bronco Billy

edit: and you're wrong about Rice...he had perfect route running and was clutch - we may never know if AJ is clutch, but he doesn't surpass Rice unless proven in a big game...which Fitzgerald has on his resume...

Your sarcasm detecting skills aren't working today. It's just as asinine to compare Rice to Johnson as it is to compare CJ to Emmitt.

Emmitt Smith is the most overrated RB in NFL history...

Sounds like a still bitter Iggles fan...

Your sarcasm detecting skills aren't working today. It's just as asinine to compare Rice to Johnson as it is to compare CJ to Emmitt.

Sounds like a still bitter Iggles fan...

I know what you are saying, I was showing you how the flaw in your analogy...I never compared CJ to Emmitt, I was just letting you know that you were over-pumping him...

A part of me wants to see TEN call Johnson's bluff, though, and see if a Ringer/Blount combo could put up similar numbers to what Johnson did last year. Something tells me it would be a lot closer than Johnson would care to admit...

And maybe that's one of the reasons why he wants the big payday right now, on the heels of a hugh season. He waits and the coaching staff decide to spell him occasionally with the bigger more physical backs they just drafted to spare his legs and body and his numbers drop significantly and he's no longer the only guy. If Ringer or Blount really impress, then what?

Last time I checked hard work and success in America is supposed to equal more money.

Unless you signed a contract that says otherwise.

I know what you are saying, I was showing you how the flaw in your analogy...I never compared CJ to Emmitt, I was just letting you know that you were over-pumping him...

I'm not sure how you discount him to the point where he's not a top five runningback all time... He's the All time leading rusher and has three rings. If he was a product of the team around him then answer this... At the age of 35 he was playing on a god awful Cardinals team that was 6-10. He managed to put up 1,042 yards and nine touchdowns... At the age of 35. That's after rushing the ball 4,400 times. He broke 1,000 yards offense after the age of 30 five times.

I could go on and on. The 1999 team went what, 8-8 and wasn't a great team. He still managed over 1,500 yards and 13 TD's. It's not over pumping him. He's absolutely a top 5 runningback. You can't say that he was a product of the system, as he was productive in his 30's with average to below average teams. The guy was a monster, and I will go out on a limb and say there isn't a runningback in the league that will come close to his career. Runningbacks break down completely at 30, or 2,000 rushes. He had a good season at 35, and eclipsed 4,400 rushing attemps.

The Cowboys hatred around here is insanity...

Edited by piratesownninjas

I'm not sure how you discount him to the point where he's not a top five runningback all time... He's the All time leading rusher and has three rings. If he was a product of the team around him then answer this... At the age of 35 he was playing on a god awful Cardinals team that was 6-10. He managed to put up 1,042 yards and nine touchdowns... At the age of 35. That's after rushing the ball 4,400 times. He broke 1,000 yards offense after the age of 30 five times.

I could go on and on. The 1999 team went what, 8-8 and wasn't a great team. He still managed over 1,500 yards and 13 TD's. It's not over pumping him. He's absolutely a top 5 runningback. You can't say that he was a product of the system, as he was productive in his 30's with average to below average teams. The guy was a monster, and I will go out on a limb and say there isn't a runningback in the league that will come close to his career. Runningbacks break down completely at 30, or 2,000 rushes. He had a good season at 35, and eclipsed 4,400 rushing attemps.

The Cowboys hatred around here is insanity...

who said he's not top 5 of all-time?...he's just not my #1 or #2 RB of all time....and by being considered the greatest RB of all time or even in Jim Brown's category I think that's a bit of a stretch...

barry sanders, jim brown, walter payton, marshall faulk, and LT easily more talented than emmitt with lesser o-lines. emmitt makes my top 10 but not top five...... if majority feel he is top five= overrated.

Edited by Bier Meister

Jerry rice was only good because of his QB's?

:lol::wacko::tup::tup:

Carry on.

the rover sighting reminded me of a very underrated back....cumar

Martin never got headlines. He only won the rushing title once. The thing with Martin was how consistant he was, how good of an all around 3 down RB he was. He never made much noise, a model citizen and leader, great team mate. Outside of Jets fans, few will remember him for just how very good he was. Not great, just very good, all the time, for a long time.

Martin never got headlines. He only won the rushing title once. The thing with Martin was how consistant he was, how good of an all around 3 down RB he was. He never made much noise, a model citizen and leader, great team mate. Outside of Jets fans, few will remember him for just how very good he was. Not great, just very good, all the time, for a long time.

i think that kind of consistency for so many years = great.

who said he's not top 5 of all-time?...he's just not my #1 or #2 RB of all time....and by being considered the greatest RB of all time or even in Jim Brown's category I think that's a bit of a stretch...

Uh, in a sense you did. I never said he was the greatest ever. I said he was top five, then you jumped all over him. And I've maintained all along that I thought Brown was the greatest runningback ever.

Jerry rice was only good because of his QB's?

:lol::wacko::tup::tup:

Carry on.

I hope you got the point I was making with that.

Edited by piratesownninjas

Uh, in a sense you did. I never said he was the greatest ever. I said he was top five, then you jumped all over him. And I've maintained all along that I thought Brown was the greatest runningback ever.

I hope you got the point I was making with that.

uh in a sense I did? = you assumed....that's a horrible thing to base your argument on...

and he probably didn't get the point you were making "with that" because it was a downright silly analogy

uh in a sense I did? = you assumed....that's a horrible thing to base your argument on...

and he probably didn't get the point you were making "with that" because it was a downright silly analogy

Are you kidding? I said he was top 5 and you started your non-sense about him being over-rated. I didn't assume, you led me to believe. You've given me massive tired head here. And the analogy works just the same. You can't discount how great a player was because of the team he was on. You prove to me how Rice is unquestionably the greatest ever, but Emmitt is over-rated.

And I've got to believe your hatred stems from you seeing Emmitt and company kick the crap out of your homer team. It's ok, they beat the daylight out of everyone.

Chris JohnsonRunning back had been in a contract dispute with team Aaron Wilson

Print This Send This July 19, 2010, 04:32 PM EST .5 Comments .The Tennessee Titans have agreed to a restructured 2010 arrangement with running back Chris Johnson where he'll make more money than his scheduled $550,000 base salary this season, according to ESPN and Pro Football Talk.

According to ESPN, the deal hasn't been signed yet and no additional years have been tacked on to the contract.

However, Johnson has picked up a portion of his $2.5 million escalator clause for this season.

UPDATE: A league source with knowledge of the situation has confirmed the adjustment to Johnson's deal where he'll be paid slightly over $2 million in 2010.

The NFL Offensive Player of the Year rushed for a league-high 2,006 yards last season.

"We're still talking through some issues," a source told ESPN. "It's going to get done, but it's not done yet."

This adjustment to Johnson's salary should head off a potential holdout situation.

Johnson had skipped the entire offseason and voiced displeasure about his contract.

:):wacko::):lol::lol::(:(:tup::(:):lol::tup:

kiss da baby!

Edited by hooknladder