[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Cowboys’ Bryant will catch passes, not carry pads

buddahj

:wacko:

Best huddle sentence ever.

Just to own up to what I said.... the "earn your keep" is pretty old...... I didn't mean folks don't have to work for what they got. He has done a TON of work just to get to where he is today. What I am saying is he doesn't owe the veterans on his team anything other than to treat them like civil human beings and to work as hard as he can to make himself and them better football players. The fact that he has to carry someone else shoulder pads to "earn their respect" or to "fall in line" just seems idiotic to me. Sure, he is making this a bigger issue than it has to be by not carrying the pads, but to say that he should because those before him did is poor rationale.

Those before us drove with kids in the back window of their car...... those before us thought smoking cigarettes was good for you.... just because "those before us" did it, doesn't mean it is the best thing to do.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well put. I'm hardly surprised that some don't get it though :wacko:

That was a fairly basic point of view. Nobody should disagree with that. I don't. I just said why did it have to be Roy Williams instigating the rookie initiation with him. I didn't say that Bryant shouldn't carry his pads. Yea, tape him up to the goal posts all you want now. It shouldn't be too hard to follow a few orders from someone that's been there before.

It's called falling in line, knowing your place, earning your stripes. Not to mention that it's also disrespecting tradition. Shows a lack of discipline and a holier than thou attitude. Doesn't matter that Roy Williams sucks the largest balls in the history of large ball sucking, he should have done what rookies are supposed to do, carry the Vets pads.

A grown man shouldnt laugh as hard as I just laughed at this

That was a fairly basic point of view. Nobody should disagree with that. I don't. I just said why did it have to be Roy Williams instigating the rookie initiation with him. I didn't say that Bryant shouldn't carry his pads. Yea, tape him up to the goal posts all you want now. It shouldn't be too hard to follow a few orders from someone that's been there before.

just curious as I don't know the answer but what cowboys recvr has the most NFL experience? If Roy that could be the reason why.

EDIT: Just checked and it is Roy and Crayton both with 7 yrs.

Edited by keggerz

Like you say.... a "simple menial task".....

How can such a task be that important? It has nothing to do with football and this bonding crap that some people use is just an excuse.... if they want to bond, they can hang out at Roy's place or something..... bonding by carrying shoulder pads ???? :wacko:

Odd response for someone with a tag of "coach". If anyone knows the value of this kind of stuff, it's coaches. And even more, the repercussions when a rookie decides that they supercede the system.

Just to own up to what I said.... the "earn your keep" is pretty old...... I didn't mean folks don't have to work for what they got. He has done a TON of work just to get to where he is today. What I am saying is he doesn't owe the veterans on his team anything other than to treat them like civil human beings and to work as hard as he can to make himself and them better football players. The fact that he has to carry someone else shoulder pads to "earn their respect" or to "fall in line" just seems idiotic to me. Sure, he is making this a bigger issue than it has to be by not carrying the pads, but to say that he should because those before him did is poor rationale.

Those before us drove with kids in the back window of their car...... those before us thought smoking cigarettes was good for you.... just because "those before us" did it, doesn't mean it is the best thing to do.

OK, but I still disagree. Taking RW out of the equation, and if or if not he has alterior motives, it comes down to earning your stripes with the vets. Either you do or you dont. Respect is something you have to earn. I assume you have been in a locker room. There is a hierarchy and you have to earn peoples respect on and off the field. It doenst matter if you're drafted 1st or last, the vets want to see who has character and who doesnt. As a rookie if you decline to carry a vets pads its your choice. Just dont cry and moan when it becomes a thing and the requests get worse and more frequent. This is a test and nothing more. He failed.

Bryant = DueceWaffle

What a punk, proves it weekly.

Chain Of Command is what it is about. He will never understand this because he thinks he is above it. He will be suspended numerous times before flaming out and broke. And that don't change no matter how much talent you think you have or how much time and sweat you think you have already put in. He will get his in spades from both opponents and team mates.

yeah, I am a Coach. There is NO pecking order in my locker room/on my team as long as all the kids are working toward the same goal. The Frosh don't owe the Seniors anything that the Seniors don't owe the Frosh. The basic man to man respect and the effort to work their tails off toward the same goal is all I ask of them.

The fact that Dez is the one involved here definitely makes it worse. If it was Tim Tebow refusing to carry Kyle Orton's pads, would there be this much issue with it??? I know some would still dislike it, but I think it would be much less an issue.

Have Peyton Manning, Tom Brady, Drew Brees, etc. ever made anyone carry their pads??? I don't know, but I can't see it.

Ok, fine you don't carry pads. Get the tape fellas. dude is gonna get bent over.

Pump your chest all you want to kid, it's the first few days of camp. All this will be handled internally fellas. Unless he's a Bryant head like the one we had a few years ago then the kid will learn.

A hard head makes for a soft A$$...................

The basic man to man respect and the effort to work their tails off toward the same goal is all I ask of them.

Respect is earned - especially in a business like the NFL even moreso than on your team, not commanded to be given. It's something that Bryant doesn't understand, and apparently you seem to have missed also.

There is some respect that having experience automatically merits - whether it's a 7 year vet in the NFL or a senior on your team. Those older guys have earned it by being there and having gone through the paces multiple times.

yeah, I am a Coach. There is NO pecking order in my locker room/on my team as long as all the kids are working toward the same goal. The Frosh don't owe the Seniors anything that the Seniors don't owe the Frosh. The basic man to man respect and the effort to work their tails off toward the same goal is all I ask of them.

The fact that Dez is the one involved here definitely makes it worse. If it was Tim Tebow refusing to carry Kyle Orton's pads, would there be this much issue with it??? I know some would still dislike it, but I think it would be much less an issue.

Have Peyton Manning, Tom Brady, Drew Brees, etc. ever made anyone carry their pads??? I don't know, but I can't see it.

I can just about guarantee that Tebow has carried SOMEBODY'S items, whether it be luggage, pads, lunch tray etc. There isn't a chance he would decline the request.

I can certainly see those guys having other people carry their stuff. It is more of a fun thing. Somebody made Brees, Brady and Manning all carry their stuff at one point, so I would bet that Cassell and Painter have carried some equipment at some point in their career. There are some teams where the rookies have to carry the stuff every day. I would bet Peyton wouldn't make a rookie do that, but he is a football guy, and this is a football thing. I'm sure he has ways of initiating the young guys as well.

Edited by Seahawks21

Hazing, harmless hazing like this is tradition. Do you suggest ignoring traditions in your coaching program? In the NFL it is indeed a bonding, an initation. It does seemingly help to build a team concept. When a rookie puts himself above doing the same things the veterans did when they were rookies, I see it as an ego based disrespect.

Tebow would carry the pads. That's why it would not be an issue. He would put tradition and tream chemistry above his ego. No, you don't know if Manning or Brady ever had a rook carry their pads. If they did, of course we would not hear about it. That, and QB's are different from any other position on the team.

Bryant should welcome this sort of thing, not fight it, if he puts team above self, but I suspect this is just the beginning for Dez. He has amazing talent, and could be a great one, if he can check his ego a little bit. He is not above tradition, he is not above team. He seemingly believes he is though.

Respect is earned - especially in a business like the NFL even moreso than on your team, not commanded to be given. It's something that Bryant doesn't understand, and apparently you seem to have missed also.

There is some respect that having experience automatically merits - whether it's a 7 year vet in the NFL or a senior on your team. Those older guys have earned it by being there and having gone through the paces multiple times.

No, I didn't miss anything about the respect. I just don't think carrying someone shoulder pads is something vital to earning a players respect, thats all. I agree, Dez would have been a lot better off carrying them, but I just don't think it is worth crucifying him over...

I guess I am outnumbered here, well basically solo, but my stance hasn't changed. In my opinion if carrying someones shoulder pads or whatever ridiculous task is what it takes to gain respect in the NFL, I think the system in broken. How about extra route running or film study or something that will contribute to making the team better??? I respect everyone's point of view, I guess I'm just on the wrong side of the fence!! :wacko:

Carry the pads, Rook. I am not a Big 12 follower, but could this have something to do with an OK State Cowboy not wanting to carry something for a Longhorn? Being a rookie and all it could be something that silly.

No, I didn't miss anything about the respect. I just don't think carrying someone shoulder pads is something vital to earning a players respect, thats all. I agree, Dez would have been a lot better off carrying them, but I just don't think it is worth crucifying him over...

I guess I am outnumbered here, well basically solo, but my stance hasn't changed. In my opinion if carrying someones shoulder pads or whatever ridiculous task is what it takes to gain respect in the NFL, I think the system in broken. How about extra route running or film study or something that will contribute to making the team better??? I respect everyone's point of view, I guess I'm just on the wrong side of the fence!! :wacko:

I don't think it's about earning respect as it is SHOWING respect. Showing respect to the guys who came before you and honoring them for the work they put in to move this game forward. He has done nothing on the field yet and should show a little more respect when Roy has taken his time to teach him. Bryant has to remember the Vets are doing things they don't have to do either! Staying after practice, accepting late night calls for questions, looking out for the guy off the field. Bryant needs to understand their experience is valuable and you pay for it by being humble and helping out when asked to show your appreciation. He is not being punked just asked to show some respect for the game he knows nothing about yet..........

Basically, he missed an opportunity to be welcomed into the club. Instead he snubbed the invitation. DUMB ROOKIE.

I am actually kind of worried now. I hope we didn't draft another talented dumb arse. I mean come on, use your head Kid. This is Dallas, or haven't you been paying attention. Everything you do will be watched and talked about. That is why you are a ROOKIE and by carring pads you show that your are willing to listen to your teamates and go along with the program. But no you have to be a knuckle head. I really hope he wises up and grabs Hurds pads tommorow or Craytons the next day then when all this is gone away Roys pads. That would be the smart thing.

Man I hope someone gets in his ear. DUMB DUMB DUMB............

I remember Antonio Bryant was talented too and made great catches but was a head case. Where is he now.................

Part of the hazing is to carry the gear and buy the food. They don't get to pick what they will do and won't do. Pretty much every group/team job I've been a part of has "the bleeping new guy" (FNG) duties meant for the newb. Most are just subtle instead of "pick up my gear" overt.

I'll bet Bryant won't have an issue in later years eating rookie bought food. Willing to bet a Huddle subscription we won't see an article saying he leaves the facility every day to go get his own food in lieu of the free food. He should take the hazing like all that have come before him.

Aaron Rodgers to Dez Bryant: 'Fall in line'

July, 26, 2010 Jul 263:14PM ET By Kevin Seifert

Over on our fast-paced Twitter feed, we've had a nice little back-and-forth on the refusal of Dallas Cowboys rookie Dez Bryant to carry the helmet of veteran receiver (and former Detroit Lion) Roy Williams in training camp.

RodgersMy own feeling is that Bryant needs to lighten up and understand that carrying a helmet is less about hazing and more about showing respect for established teammates who are welcoming you to their circle. Green Bay Packers quarterback Aaron Rodgers (@AaronRodgers12), responding to a follower's question about Bryant, was more blunt: "I'd tell him he needs to pay his dues n fall in line."

Rodgers also tweeted: "Every rookie gets hazed. There should be a rite of passage" and added:

AaronRodgers12 Picking up some dinner bills, having a few pranks pulled on u n, doing some odd jobs for the vets is a small price to pay to gain respect 26 Jul 2010 from Twitterrific

AaronRodgers12 No ones gonna get taped to a goalpost in gb or beat up but young guys should show some respect to the older guys and being a good rookie... 26 Jul 2010 from Twitterrific

AaronRodgers12 Means keeping quiet n being in the right place at the right time n showing respect to the vets as long as it's appropriate 26 Jul 2010 from Twitterrific -- this quote was brought to you by quoteurl

And in case you're wondering, at least two Packers rookies were listening. Here's what defensive lineman Micheal Neal (@mneal96), Green Bay's No. 2 draft choice, tweeted: "yes sir!"

Offensive lineman Bryan Bulaga (@Bbulaga), the Packers' first-round pick, added: "agreed... words of wisdom right there."

Didn't read the whole thread but noone on this board has any clue how the nfl works so you're all talking out of your a$$.

We're all sitting here agog with awe for your knowledge and waiting to be educated in the ways of the NFL by you. Please share just a modicum of some of your vast wealth of knowledge, sensei, while we genuflect before you.

We're all sitting here agog with awe for your knowledge and waiting to be educated in the ways of the NFL by you. Please share just a modicum of some of your vast wealth of knowledge, sensei, while we genuflect before you.

Clearly you missed my point.

Edited by Jackass

He should have carried the helmet, but I'm not to worried about his attitude. ESPN Dallas was saying on Sunday through the first two days of practices Bryant was the first one on the field and the last one off at each practice session. Maybe the reason he didn't carry the helmet was because he was still doing some work, trying to get ready for the season? I don't know, but some of y'all are coming down on him pretty hard over something that is pretty stupid.