[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Jamaal Charles

Cunning Runt

I see him ranked fairly high on a few different sites' cheat sheets (no less than top 10 RB).

I'm personally on the fence with this guy. He obviously blew up last last year which is why he's so high, but KC picked up Thomas Jones who seems much more suited for 1st and 2nd down work. I was not on the TJ bandwagon at all last year and he proved me wrong yet again.

Just not sure what to make of Charles this year heading into the draft and why people seem so sure TJ is not going to get significant work, thus minimizing Charles' fantasy outlook. I realize he's another year older, but the guy does keep himself in great shape and as far as I know has not sustained a major injury (ie knee).

I'd be interested to hear some discussion on it.

Thanks!

IMO, the Chiefs want Charles on the field as much as possible because of his explosiveness. He's a gamechanger. TJ was brought in to do some of the grunt work and to lighten Charles' load and keep him fresher and more productive with the touches he gets. Charles should have another solid season, especially in PPR leagues. I will say that the shoulder surgery he had has to be a bit disconcerning and that TJ may've also been signed as a nice insurance policy.

Edited by irish

I think TJ will end up being the 3rd down back. But, I suspect TJ will steal some work for sure. I just traded for Charles in one of my leagues but have tried to avoid him as much as possible, just for the unknown factor.

I can't see that. Charles is great out of the backfield and as long as he's solid at blitz pick-up, then he'll be the guy on 3rd down. I can see TJ used in short-yardage and possibly GL situations.

Edited by irish

I can't see that. Charles is great out of the backfield and as long as he's soid at blitz pick-up, then he'll be the guy on 3rd down. I can see TJ used in short-yardage and possibly GL situations.

I agree wholeheartedly. If it is 3rd and inches, or third and a half yard, then TJ is a 3rd down back. But in the traditional sense? I seriously doubt it.

Now that Weiss and RAC have arrived, think back to their championship years 2002-2004. Does the combination of Faulk-A.Smith-Dillon ring any bells. An RBBC most likely. Charles is explosive but they will want to grind so the D can atleast compete. Wherever Jones has gone, they give him the ball very consistently. No way I'm grabbing Charles as my number one unless I have already grabbed a stud WR.

Now that Weiss and RAC have arrived, think back to their championship years 2002-2004. Does the combination of Faulk-A.Smith-Dillon ring any bells. An RBBC most likely. Charles is explosive but they will want to grind so the D can atleast compete. Wherever Jones has gone, they give him the ball very consistently. No way I'm grabbing Charles as my number one unless I have already grabbed a stud WR.

I'm glad that there are plenty of Charles skeptics this season. Your reasoning might be of note. But Charles has a skill set that dwarfs anything those guys brought to the table. Just saying...

I'm glad that there are plenty of Charles skeptics this season. Your reasoning might be of note. But Charles has a skill set that dwarfs anything those guys brought to the table. Just saying...

I agree. I'd take a flier on him before some of the usual suspects on the RB list.

I don't know if Charles can hold up to a full season of carrying the load, and I'm positive I won't take him as early as someone else in my leagues.

+1

If I do draft him in my local, I'll trade him after week 3...if not sooner...

I have a few other RB's that I expect to have good seasons because the top 10 RB's are a mystery to me after Gore (#5)....

this leaves wide open room for new faces which will probably crack the top 5 as I speak about them and move some of the top 5 candidates closer to the 10 spot - or lower (MJD anyone?)

I agree wholeheartedly. If it is 3rd and inches, or third and a half yard, then TJ is a 3rd down back. But in the traditional sense? I seriously doubt it.

mhm....in the "traditional sense" - Charles is more of the 3rd down back than TJ is...

but I expect Charles to thrive in PPR leagues which would make up what he doesn't do on the ground..

this has been thoroughly covered.

Being as how JC's value is among the more hotly debated topics this preseason, I would say we are just getting started!

That's quite a statement. Did you see Dillon in his prime? I'm a Bengals fan so I sure did. I almost wish he would have been on a good team his whole career. He'd be headed to the Hall for sure.

I posted this on one of the many Charles threads. 167 of his 193 carries came week 9 or after. I just don't see the Chiefs totally horsing a back of Charles size. Like most have stated, he will go long before I would consider him.

That's quite a statement. Did you see Dillon in his prime? I'm a Bengals fan so I sure did. I almost wish he would have been on a good team his whole career. He'd be headed to the Hall for sure.

I posted this on one of the many Charles threads. 167 of his 193 carries came week 9 or after. I just don't see the Chiefs totally horsing a back of Charles size. Like most have stated, he will go long before I would consider him.

Dillon in his prime was not Dillon Patriots era.

Charles is the same size as Chris Johnson, and people don't seem to be afraid of drafting him for some crazy reason.

I have said all I am going to say. I like helping people on this site, but I do have my own greedy needs and I am doing a disservice to those needs.

Edited by rattsass

Charles is the same size as Chris Johnson, and people don't seem to be afraid of drafting him for some crazy reason.

I have said all I am going to say. I like helping people on this site, but I do have my own greedy needs and I am doing a disservice to those needs.

I was going to mention the same thing. Nobody seems to be worried about Chris Johnson and I think that they should be.

My whole question with Charles is we don't know if he's more on the Chris Johnson side talent wise, or the Steve Slaton side. There's too much unkonwn for me to feel good with him as my #1. He's a high upside #2 RB, but I would take a WR over Charles anyday in the 2nd round. In the 3rd I would have to consider him, but I would need another RB on my roster. Also, Chris Johnson is obviously the exception, not the norm. There's only a handful of RB's his size that have succeeded in a workhorse back scenario. Tiki is the only other one that comes to mind off the top of my head.

Also, Dillon may not have been in his prime, but he put up very solid numbers as a Pat. I don't know that I agree with the persons original statement of KC going to a full on committie due to the coaching staffs history. When Dillon was in NE he got the majority of the work on 1st and 2nd down. I don't even know if ASmith was still no the team at that time. If he was he didn't see the field very often.

Edited by Capt. Stanky

think back further to the late 90s Jets when weiss was riding curtis martin

Am I missing something? If they really wanted Charles to get that many touches, why bother bringing in a back the caliber of Jones? Jones still looks awfully good. I see Jones being the workhorse with Charles being the big play guy. Either way, I can't see Charles getting more than 60% of the touches. I'm high on his talent, and high on him in dynasty/keepers, but top-10 in redrafts? I'd rather take somebody that didn't have to compete with such a solidified back.