[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Jamaal Charles

Cunning Runt

Am I missing something? If they really wanted Charles to get that many touches, why bother bringing in a back the caliber of Jones? Jones still looks awfully good. I see Jones being the workhorse with Charles being the big play guy. Either way, I can't see Charles getting more than 60% of the touches. I'm high on his talent, and high on him in dynasty/keepers, but top-10 in redrafts? I'd rather take somebody that didn't have to compete with such a solidified back.

every team tries to aquire as much depth as they can, -for a fair market value, -(particularly @ RB)

.............-are you saying you'd take Jones over Charles???. how can Jones be the "workhorse" with Charles commanding 60% of the touches?? :wacko:

every team tries to aquire as much depth as they can, -for a fair market value, -(particularly @ RB)

.............-are you saying you'd take Jones over Charles???. how can Jones be the "workhorse" with Charles commanding 60% of the touches?? :wacko:

I'm simply saying at most. even if Charles is the top option, Jones at the very least will get more than enough touches to hamper the potential of Charles. I assumed the Chiefs signed Jones to add much needed toughness to their offense, not depth. The guy had 1400 yards and 14 TD's for a team without a real passing threat. I don't think Jones would have signed with the Chiefs if they had told him he was going to be a backup. Charles also has been running with the 2nd team in camp. I'd be fine with Charles as my starter, but if I brought in a guy with back-to-back 1300 yard seasons, I'd be awfully tempted to see if he could carry me like I did his last team.

I'm simply saying at most. even if Charles is the top option, Jones at the very least will get more than enough touches to hamper the potential of Charles. I assumed the Chiefs signed Jones to add much needed toughness to their offense, not depth. The guy had 1400 yards and 14 TD's for a team without a real passing threat. I don't think Jones would have signed with the Chiefs if they had told him he was going to be a backup. Charles also has been running with the 2nd team in camp. I'd be fine with Charles as my starter, but if I brought in a guy with back-to-back 1300 yard seasons, I'd be awfully tempted to see if he could carry me like I did his last team.

a back like Charles might only be helped by being spelled more than an "every down back"....

imo, this is better for him later in the game and his potential to break open a big play

Just my persepctive but I think TJ will carry the workload for at least the first half of the season and Charles will be optimized in the second half of the season. Not saying he won't be used in the first half. He has good hands and will catch allot but I think they will use Jones meat to help keep the pressure off Cassle. Jones will get tired, again and Charles will have another barn burner second half.

Just my persepctive but I think TJ will carry the workload for at least the first half of the season and Charles will be optimized in the second half of the season. Not saying he won't be used in the first half. He has good hands and will catch allot but I think they will use Jones meat to help keep the pressure off Cassle. Jones will get tired, again and Charles will have another barn burner second half.

Ditto, I'll take Jones in the 11th-12th, use him as my flex/match-up filler at will and use my 7th -12th draft slot on a stud WR. Oh and they also drafted and even faster little scat back with even better hands named McCluster.

Ditto, I'll take Jones in the 11th-12th, use him as my flex/match-up filler at will and use my 7th -12th draft slot on a stud WR. Oh and they also drafted and even faster little scat back with even better hands named McCluster.

I it's a situation that will be handled on a much smaller scale than that....

TJ will be used to take time off the clock and also to hold a lead....while JC will be used on passing downs and on certain drives to spell TJ...and JC will also be used in the passing game when the Chiefs are behind...

this makes the most sense to me....but neither back will be the "primary back" for more than a game possibly, let alone one half a season unless either one is injured...

Thomas Jones has reportedly been prone to mental mistakes during early Chiefs training camp practices.

Jones has "taken grief from coaches during several practices" for errors, which probably could cost him his current first-team listing if they keep up. The most distressing portion of this blurb is that Kestahn Moore -- not Jamaal Charles -- moved up to the first string when Jones was yanked on Monday. Coach Todd Haley's depth-chart mind games haven't stopped in year two.

Source: Kansas City Star

Thomas Jones has reportedly been prone to mental mistakes during early Chiefs training camp practices.

Jones has "taken grief from coaches during several practices" for errors, which probably could cost him his current first-team listing if they keep up. The most distressing portion of this blurb is that Kestahn Moore -- not Jamaal Charles -- moved up to the first string when Jones was yanked on Monday. Coach Todd Haley's depth-chart mind games haven't stopped in year two.

Source: Kansas City Star

Yeah, I try to avoid getting too caught up in these camp soap operas. I just keep the the mental picture of Jones getting 3 yards a carry last year-behind one of the best lines in the league, and Charles ripping off 6 behind one of the worst fresh in my mind. Talk is cheap.

I it's a situation that will be handled on a much smaller scale than that....

TJ will be used to take time off the clock and also to hold a lead....while JC will be used on passing downs and on certain drives to spell TJ...and JC will also be used in the passing game when the Chiefs are behind...

this makes the most sense to me....but neither back will be the "primary back" for more than a game possibly, let alone one half a season unless either one is injured...

TJ won't be used much then! :wacko:

Yeah, I try to avoid getting too caught up in these camp soap operas. I just keep the the mental picture of Jones getting 3 yards a carry last year-behind one of the best lines in the league, and Charles ripping off 6 behind one of the worst fresh in my mind. Talk is cheap.

Exactly, and still a bit surprised so many people are high on a RB turning 32 later this month.

Exactly, and still a bit surprised so many people are high on a RB turning 32 later this month.

I hope I didn't give the impression that I was ever high on TJ. I've never been really high on the old man. I just think they will use him initially and then CJ will be the primary. Same role as when Greene starting taking carries away but it will be much earlier in KC.

Am I the only one that thinks that while TJ will get some looks at the goalline, he won't see much action beyond that?

TJ's success last year was largely in part b/c of the Jets O-line opening monster-sized holes for him to run through. That ain't gonna happen in KC.

Am I the only one that thinks that while TJ will get some looks at the goalline, he won't see much action beyond that?

TJ's success last year was largely in part b/c of the Jets O-line opening monster-sized holes for him to run through. That ain't gonna happen in KC.

you're among the many...

you're among the many...

Along this same line of thinking, am I a dumbass for thinking that Tomlinson is going to end up being significantly better than most think b/c of these same monster holes? If memory serves me right, Shonn Greene started roughly 5 games (indluding the playoffs) last year and was already nicked up by the end of their season. I know LT has lost a step or three, but I don't think Greene can hold up past week 7 or so. Of course there's always Joe McKnight........

Man, I love this time of year!!!!!

Along this same line of thinking, am I a dumbass for thinking that Tomlinson is going to end up being significantly better than most think b/c of these same monster holes? If memory serves me right, Shonn Greene started roughly 5 games (indluding the playoffs) last year and was already nicked up by the end of their season. I know LT has lost a step or three, but I don't think Greene can hold up past week 7 or so. Of course there's always Joe McKnight........

well, I can't agree with you there...I prefer youth over old and have said for a few years that LT wasn't worth his ADP and felt I could get better value around the same spot one would draft LT....

I'm a Shonn Greene fan and don't think LT will be too productive aside from a game where he manages to get 2 or 3 TD's to fluff his numbers up a bit....if he even manages one game in that territory..

I watched LT last year, the holes werent the problem. He lost a step and the Jets are a smashmouth team...meaning they will run alot. Both will be productive but I rather own Greene if I were to pick one.

What makes you say that?

Green really only saw heavy action at the very end of last season and sufferred injuries to his back and ribs some time around the AFC Championship Game. If I'm remembering it right, he got knocked out of the Indy game after 10 carries for 41 yards.

Last year he had 109 carries in the regular season and then 54 in the three playoff games, which is to say, he carried the ball half as many times over the last three games as he had in the first sixteen. 29 of his 106 regular season carries came in weeks 16 and 17, so he effectively carried 83 times in the last 5 games, so less than 20 carries a game, which is the minimum that I'd expect for a stud RB on a "smash mouth, run first" team. So five full games as a #1 RB was all it took to wear him down last year. So my opinion is based solely on past performance.

All that being said, think that Green is going to be very very productive this year, until he gets dinged up, which judging from last year, is gong to take him five or six games. After that, its LT or McNight's turn.

People tend to forget that LT scored 12 rushing tds last year. I'll grant you that the longest one was only 4 yards, but he still has a nose for the endzone. I don't think LT should start over Green, but I do think that he'll be pretty effective behind that O-line if/when Green goes down. So in my opinion, LT in the eighth or ninth round is a pretty risk free bet (his current ADP is 144, which is actually the 12th round in a 12 team league).

You also have to remember that the Jets offense is going to have the weapons needed to at least threaten to stretch the field. Edwards, Holmes, Cotchery and Keller are big, strong, fast targets, that you at least have to respect (well at least til Edwards drops four balls in a row).

So there's my two cents, for what its worth.