[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Please pass the corn......

hooknladder

Kolb makes deep first impression

QB connects on two long passes in public debut as the starter

By GEOFF MOSHER • The News Journal • August 1, 2010

BETHLEHEM, Pa. -- He might not fling it 70 yards, effortlessly, on frozen rope like his predecessor.

Still, Eagles quarterback Kevin Kolb isn't afraid to flex his biceps.

Kolb combated perceptions about limited arm strength Saturday morning during the team's first contact practice at Lehigh. On his second attempt of "thud" drills, he connected with DeSean Jackson in stride 75 yards downfield to paydirt.

Later, during full-contact practice, Kolb again went deep to his All-Pro wideout, who sprawled out for the 60-yard reception that livened up the crowd on camp's most pristine-weather day.

"You want to do it because we have the talent to do it and it's fun and all that," Kolb said. "But you've got to settle yourself down as the quarterback, because it's a game kind of situation. You have that same kind of energy when you get into a game and you kind of have to find a way to calm yourself down to go out there and execute."

In his first public audition since replacing Donovan McNabb as the franchise's new cornerstone, Kolb shook off early cobwebs to complete -- unofficially -- 5 of 9 passes for 145 yards in the contact drills.

Flawless, he wasn't.

During an 11-on-11 scrimmage, his errant pass to tight end Brent Celek landed in middle linebacker Stewart Bradley's hands. But he generally kept the ball off the ground as the coaches put more focus on the run for the first practice. In 7-on-7 drills, Kolb completed 8 of 11 passes, but two of the three incompletions were drops.

Recalling the Bradley pick, Kolb referenced some throws here and there he'd "like to have back."

"I thought he threw the ball well," Celek said. "He's just critiquing himself a lot more than we would."

Kolb's arm strength is often under the microscope from fans accustomed to the daily barrage of fly patterns, go routes and play-action strikes from McNabb, whose seemingly unlimited downfield range makes him one of the NFL's best deep-strike triggermen.

Accuracy and timing are Kolb's trademark, but the Eagles have explosive outside speed in Jackson and second-year pro Jeremy Maclin and dynamic big-play ability.

:wacko: ............. :tup:

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There's going to be a Chunky's Soup commercial isn't there...

"Kevin, Come to dinner!"

Someone should reopen DMD's 'who's the #8 QB' thread again, I think the debate is livening up.

I can Just see it now.

"Here's your hearty Cambells chicken noodle soup, McNabb". Wait, who the heck is this cracker sitting in my Donovans locker? You get out of my sons locker /smacks with purse".

Btw, I'm surely hoping Jackson and Kold have one heck of a season this year!

Kolb has bust written all over him IMO. Fortunately he comes cheap to find out, but I'll look elsewhere for my QB2.

I disagree......I think Kolb would make a fine QB2 .

Really...just a QB2? In a 12 or 16 team league, there's maybe 6 or 7 guys I'd take ahead of him.

Really...just a QB2? In a 12 or 16 team league, there's maybe 6 or 7 guys I'd take ahead of him.

exactly, he's my 7th or 8th QB....and people can say it's because I'm an Eagles fan...

but I've been a skeptic on eagles QB's quite a bit in the past (pre- McNabb), I've even said that McNabb holds very little value in the 2nd half of the season and should be traded from any Fantasy team by week 8....

in Andy Reid's system, almost any QB has succeeded....and I've mentioned this in the last Kolb thread....

Kolb will have to be injured to not be in the top 10 fantasy QB's by seasons end....and at the worst, he'll be the 11th ranked QB overall....

exactly, he's my 7th or 8th QB....and people can say it's because I'm an Eagles fan...

but I've been a skeptic on eagles QB's quite a bit in the past (pre- McNabb), I've even said that McNabb holds very little value in the 2nd half of the season and should be traded from any Fantasy team by week 8....

in Andy Reid's system, almost any QB has succeeded....and I've mentioned this in the last Kolb thread....

Kolb will have to be injured to not be in the top 10 fantasy QB's by seasons end....and at the worst, he'll be the 11th ranked QB overall....

no $hit ....that's why i posted this........... :wacko:

Even McNabb was typically lucky to crack the top 10. Kolb's arm is weaker and he has almost no experience. Of course anything is possible, but I wouldn't hold my breath. And lol @ 7th or 8th ranked QB.

Even McNabb was typically lucky to crack the top 10. Kolb's arm is weaker and he has almost no experience. Of course anything is possible, but I wouldn't hold my breath. And lol @ 7th or 8th ranked QB.

true, because a strong arm = a better QB..

McNabb was always great in the 1st half of the season and didn't fare so well when the weather dropped....unless he played on the road where the climate was warmer...aside from a few anomalies anyways...

McNabb has been in the wrong system his entire career...he was a QB who relied on arm strength in a system that requires a QB who can throw the ball accurately and on time as well...

timing and accuracy are not McNabb's strengths by a mile....they are in fact his weaknesses as he takes forever to go through his progressions and makes the OL look horrible by holding onto the ball far longer than he had to...

even Brian Baldinger among a few others said he had DeSean Jackson wide open several times in those last 2 Dallas games, but McNabb wouldn't even throw him the ball....I don't know if McNabb was more focused on "spreading the ball around" so he can look like more of a star having 2 or 3 guys in the offense produce good number (but not great)....who knows?...but I don't understand why people think the Eagles passing game is going to go south just because McNabb is gone...

McNabb might be the best QB to ever play in Philly....but he is quite overrated in NFL standards...

If Kolb is laughable at 7-8, I'm curious where you have him ranked and who is ahead of him? I mean, do you think the Eagles trade McNabb if they aren't confident that Kolb will succeed in Andy Reid's pass oriented offense?

With his display for us thus far (thought limited), with the weapons around him, and in Andy Reid's pass-happy, but safe system, Kolb is easily top 8 imo, and I wouldn't be surprised at all if he cracks top 5.

+1

Unless its 1st and goal from the 1 yard line, the Eagles are throwing it into the end zone. Thats a lot of TD passes.

I''d guess 24-27 this season for Kolb. And if you tack on 4000+ yards, which he should reach easily in a 16 game schedule based on the amount this offense throws the ball....thats Top 8 production.

With his display for us thus far (thought limited), with the weapons around him, and in Andy Reid's pass-happy, but safe system, Kolb is easily top 8 imo, and I wouldn't be surprised at all if he cracks top 5.

He might, might beat out Rivers who's having LG and WR issues but who else out of the top 7?

so you plan on taking 2 QB's inside the top 7 or 8 rankings?....

:tup: moran

no, moran.

i may not even take 1. Kolb is not top 7 or 8 everywhere. you really should try to understand what i'm saying before you start with the name calling. all these years i thought you had at least a concept, but this year you have revealed yourself to be surprisingly naive'. first you declare S. Sax would make a good RB2 :tup: (you must be in a real cheesedick league) now your missing the whole point of this post which is exploring the possibility of taking a QB late, (i.e. Kolb), while gaining strength at other positions. you should have kept your mouth shut. i had you all wrong. :wacko:

Yeah, and he could grow a foot, change into an African-American, develop a sky hook, and play for the Lakes for a decade too.

What are the odds of it happening...

I would think a 3-footed center would have much better balance than just one with two feet. Question is, at what point is travelling called?