[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

DWill and JStew.....

Coach1310

What are everybody's thoughts on drafting DWill and trying to land JStew as well???

The more and more I look at things and do mocks, if you aren't in the top 4-5 picks, I sure like the idea of going WR in Round 1. This puts you early to mid in the second where I think DWill belongs, but is overlooked as a ton of mocks have WR galore in Rd 2. So.... for discussion sake lets say you pull the #6 in a 10 team, standard scoring, no ppr league.. is it insane to think you could draft Williams in the 2nd and Stewart in the 4th???

I just love the Carolina run game and they will have matchups where playing both is possible, but does this only pay off with an injury to one of the other???

This is a much different handcuff than normal and I'm not sure if it is worth it or not. Larry Johnson's break out year cost me a championship as I waited one round to long to cuff him to Priest and it still bothers me on draft day!

What are everybody's thoughts on drafting DWill and trying to land JStew as well???

The more and more I look at things and do mocks, if you aren't in the top 4-5 picks, I sure like the idea of going WR in Round 1. This puts you early to mid in the second where I think DWill belongs, but is overlooked as a ton of mocks have WR galore in Rd 2. So.... for discussion sake lets say you pull the #6 in a 10 team, standard scoring, no ppr league.. is it insane to think you could draft Williams in the 2nd and Stewart in the 4th???

I just love the Carolina run game and they will have matchups where playing both is possible, but does this only pay off with an injury to one of the other???

This is a much different handcuff than normal and I'm not sure if it is worth it or not. Larry Johnson's break out year cost me a championship as I waited one round to long to cuff him to Priest and it still bothers me on draft day!

I just drafted from the #3 spot in a 10 team league and got DWill in the 2nd and JStew in the 5th. I think for some reason people avoid JStew once someone else has drafted DWill....:wacko:

I suppose it all comes down to your roster size and your willingness to play the "who's going to go off today" game when you don't play them both. The Carolina ground game has proven to be able to put up fantasy relevant numbers ( often impressive ones ) despite the poor team play. DWill and Stew had remarkably similar numbers last year. DWill had 216 carries for 1,117 yards and 7 TDs and added 29 catches for 252 yards. Stew had 221 carries for 1,133 yards and 10 TDs with 18 catches for 139 yards and 1 TD.

Do you have to handcuff them, I don't believe so. If you grab DWill it may drive you nuts but it won't hurt you, but you'll be sweating out injuries and all of Stewart's carries. You would almost be better off letting another owner worry about it and explore other backfield options.

Williams Stewart (points, no ppr)

13 6

14 7

7 1

BYE - - - -

3 9

29 15

20 4

15 20

27 1

12 20

14 4

5 3

0 18

9 2

1 23

0 27

0 20

I think it's obvious, start DeAngello every week and JStew every other week until DWill gets hurt, the you are good to go with JStew.

ETA: Damn you formatting. Damn you all to hell.

Edited by jetsfan

I just used this strategy in a 12 team "experts" league. I got Drew in the 1st round, D-Will in the 3rd and Stew in the 5th.

I plan on starting all 3 of them basically every week. We start 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE plus 2 flex.

I understand how early this is for a handcuff, but will all of the RBBC's out there, the #2 on a great running team might be worth the risk over a starter from a sub-par team.... still not sure where I stand on it...... If you can get DWill in the 3rd and Stew in the 5th like Muto, it is a no brainer for me..... allows a WR/WR, RB/WR, WR/QB, RB/QB top two rounds combination...... I just don't see DWill in the 3rd in ANY of my leagues.... the value owners put on RB's is much higher than average in my leagues

To hell with handcuffing them...START THEM BOTH.

Take a WR first, Deangelo in the second (ADP 21.58), a WR in the third, Stewart in the fourth (ADP 39.97 so he may not be available in a 12 or 14 team league) and fill in your QB, WR, TE needs from there.

You'll end up with one stud WR, two 1000 rushers, and a WR2 along the lines of Chad Johnson or Percy Harvin (provided that Favre returns) and a Tony Gonzalez-like TE. QB will be a crap shoot, but draft two of them in a row and play according to their opponents.

Defiinitely not along the lines of conventional thinking, but since when di you ever get a "gimme" drafting out of the 6, 7, 8 draft spots?

You guys do realize J Stew's numbers were inflated a lot at the end of the season since DeAngelo was hurt right? It wasn't an even 50-50 throughout the season. If DeAngelo doesn't get hurt last year, I'm not seeing a 1,000 yard year for J Stew or as many TDs. J Stew basically had the rushes all to himself at the end of the season

You guys do realize J Stew's numbers were inflated a lot at the end of the season since DeAngelo was hurt right? It wasn't an even 50-50 throughout the season. If DeAngelo doesn't get hurt last year, I'm not seeing a 1,000 yard year for J Stew or as many TDs. J Stew basically had the rushes all to himself at the end of the season

Ding, ding!!

DWill is the starting back and when healthy, will get the 60/40 split. I see DWill getting 1500+ yards (ground) this year and 12-15 TD's as long as his ankle holds and no other serious injuries. That'll leave Stew with 800-1000 yards (ground) and 7-10 TD's.

Also, they will have a more effective passing game this year which could offer more oppoturtunities for big plays, both on the ground and in the air.

Edit: BTW, if Stewart gets the numbers I'm guessing he will, that's a pretty good number 2 back to have on your roster!

Edited by BearBroncos

You don't think, based on how well he performed when given the chance to be "the man", that he earned himself a more even split of the carries?

I actually had both two years ago (and Ronnie and Ricky last year). I don't have an issue starting both against weak rushing defenses. There's no reason they cannot both be productive as your RB1 and RB2. I would actually argue that there is some level of positive correlation between their performance (i.e. when Deangelo is having a big game, Stewart will likely as well) which further buttress the argument for starting the tandem. Also, I expect the Panthers to be better throwing down field this season with Moore at the helm so the RBs might have a little more room to roam.

You don't think, based on how well he performed when given the chance to be "the man", that he earned himself a more even split of the carries?

I think they both offer a specific option to the team. It all depends on how they plan of optimizing Moore. I think Stewart (being the heaveir back) will be more of a blocking back and more of the 3rd down back while DWill has better burst speed and better hands for check downs.

Edited by BearBroncos

I won't be drafting Williams this year but I'm absolutely considering Stewart as my RB2. I'm at the end of my draft in a 2 player keeper (1 offense & 1 defense) and if I want Stewart I'll have to use 1 of my first 2 picks. While Williams has a solid NFL skill set, IMO Stewart is a far superior combination of size, speed, and vision. Williams has had one great season (which from a FF perspective was epic based upon his late season tear and his bargain basement price) but beyond that his numbers have not been that of an RB2 let alone an RB1.

http://www.nfl.com/players/deangelowilliam...le?id=WIL221323

Stewart on the other hand, in a time share situation and fighting an injury that most thought would sideline him for the better part of the 2009 season has put up what I see as decent RB2 numbers in both of his first two seasons.

http://www.nfl.com/players/jonathanstewart...le?id=STE770966

I just think Williams stands a better chance of disappointing this year while it seems possible a healthy Stewart could make it hard for J.Fox to take him off the field. Even before the injury last season, Williams was not producing at the level many who used a top ten pick on him had hoped for (myself included) and Stewart just seemed to run with a compact power, great vision, decisive and explosive lateral movement and a top end speed, which for a back of his size is downright shocking :tup::wacko:

You don't draft JStew as a handcuff. You draft him as a viable RB2/RB3 depending on matchups. The downside to this strategy is having "all your eggs in one basket". You really need to have a solid RB to complement these guys as well. I'd be shaking in my boots if I came out of the first five rounds of a draft with DWill and JStew as my only RBs. All it takes is one tough matchup and now both your starting RBs are putting up bad numbers.

The plus side to this strategy is that you can really exploit tasty matchups, and if one of these two goes down, you end up with a true stud in the other. What's their FF playoff schedule like? If the matchups are good, I like the strategy more.

This isn't a handcuff situation. It's a platoon. A beast of a platoon at that...

I would take my shot with one or the other, gauging value and the flow of your draft, but I wouldn't use two of my first four picks on the Carolina running game... which is what you'd have to do to have both players.

A handcuff to me is a lower-priced investment that is more of a pure backup. Michael Turner was a pure handcuff to LT back in the day. Turner was a No. 2 RB on his team, he was a cheap fantasy pick, the Chargers running game was hot, and he emulated LT's production in spurts.

Ricky Williams is not a handcuff to Ronnie Brown. Bernard Scott is a pure handcuff to Cedric Benson.

Unfortunately the handcuff term is fading in this platoon era of running backs. The lines are blurred. :wacko:

JUM

Edited by JUMbotron