[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

RB Ryan Mathews

DMD

Ryan Mathews  

123 members have voted

1. 1. Where does the top rookie go?

• I'd be willing in the first with the 1.11 or 1.12 maybe
    • Definite second rounder with upside
    • Be willing to risk a third rounder on him if he fell that far
    • No matter what, someone else is going to want him more than I will

Ryan Mathews is the defacto first pick in every dynasty draft if for no other reason than he lands in the best situation in the league for any rookie back. He also goes to the San Diego Chargers who hosted LaDainian Tomlinson during his certain HOF career (until this year that is). Dreaming of Tomlinson-like numbers (when young and healthy) has pushed Mathews at least into the second round of most drafts and he's even showed up as early as the tail end of the first round. In some leagues, he may slide to the third but not deeply and not very often. Optimism springs eternal with rookie RBs.

Darren Sproles is still there but does that matter much?

Is it important to note that the Chargers have seen a decline of RB YPC for the last four years and comes off a season of only 3.5 yards per carry?

The rushing yardage was only 1360 last year for the Chargers but it could have been a worn out LT. On the plus side, the RBs scored 23 touchdowns which was the best in several years.

How bad do you want "the rookie"???

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Eh. He might have a good season, but then I am concerned about this offense being more pass oriented than run oriented, and Sproles is so good with the screen pass. I think Matthews will be overrated in most drafts. I would grab him as RB3, but he's not a guy I want to bet my team's success on.

I think this guy will succeed due to the great situation that he's fallen into. Norv has an amazing track record with featured backs. Norv has been singing his praises since mini-camp. I think they will put him in a postion to succeed. I see..

1500 combined yards and 12 total TD's. A very solid 2nd round pick, IMO.

Ryan Mathews is the defacto first pick in every dynasty draft if for no other reason than he was the first RB drafted in April. He also goes to the San Diego Chargers who hosted LaDainian Tomlinson during his certain HOF career (until this year that is). Dreaming of Tomlinson-like numbers (when young and healthy) has pushed Mathews at least into the second round of most drafts and he's even showed up as early as the tail end of the first round. In some leagues, he may slide to the third but not deeply and not very often. Optimism springs eternal with rookie RBs.

Darren Sproles is still there but does that matter much?

Is it important to note that the Chargers have seen a decline of RB YPC for the last four years and comes off a season of only 3.5 yards per carry?

The rushing yardage was only 1360 last year for the Chargers but it could have been a worn out LT. On the plus side, the RBs scored 23 touchdowns which was the best in several years.

How bad do you want "the rookie"???

DMD, Mathews was actually the 2nd back drafted. Spiller went to the Bills in the top 10 I believe.

Well he's definetly ahead of Spiller on the radar. Maybe Mathews will compare to Tomlinson and maybe Spiller will compare to Michael Bennett. But maybe this time not.

I remember that I thought that Tomlinson was better than Bennett. I remember that. Yes. :wacko:

Edited by MikesVikes

If I want to gamble, I'd take him in the second round. But I won't do that. If he is there in the third sure but I doubt he falls that far in my league. No way I take him in the first. Have the 11th pick and I will turn to consistent players for those first two picks.

If I want to gamble, I'd take him in the second round. But I won't do that. If he is there in the third sure but I doubt he falls that far in my league. No way I take him in the first. Have the 11th pick and I will turn to consistent players for those first two picks.

This. If I already had a WR that I was very, very comfortable with, I'd take him in the 3rd.

There are a lot of questions about the Chargers offense right now. The biggest being Marcus McNeal. Second on the list is Vincent Jackson. I don't know what Norv Turner will do playcalling wise, but I would imagine that the franchise tackle missing time can't help. At the range he's being picked, I'll pass. Late first/early second is too early for me to take a rookie runningback who's offense is missing two of it's biggest parts.

To get to the point, I'd draft him in the 2nd but only if the stars aligned just right.

I like that the SD coaches love him, Turner has had great success with RBs and he was brought in to be the featured back.

I don't like that he's an unproven commodity and that the Chargers have had o-line questions going back to the beginning of last year.

He's a wildcard, grouped with the likes of Charles and Greene. I'm not much into taking risks that early in the draft.

I'm one of those who is pretty high on Mathews. I think he's landed in a great situation and will have success because of it. Still not sure I take the rook before the 3rd round though , but if he's there in any of my leagues after the 2nd I'm grabbing him

He's a wildcard, grouped with the likes of Charles and Greene. I'm not much into taking risks that early in the draft.

He may be a bit of a wild card but he IS the feature back. With Charles, who knows because TJones has the makeup of an everydown back and Charles is built more like a 3rd down back and the skills for it. If TJones wasn't in KC, I would value Charles over Matthews, but he fact that Matthews is basically the only back there who should be able to withstand 20 carries per game in a PUTRID division, I like him late second, early third. Some in a redraft with Johnson or AP #1 and getting Matthews on the wrap around, could have a GREAT tandem for the season. I have to believe Matthews will get all the goal line work as well which solidifies his value even more...

There is so much unknown here, that taking him in the 2nd is really a "swing for the fences" type of pick. I remember taking AP with the 3.01 in my 12-man local in his rookie year. At the time, it was risky taking a rookie pick as your RB2 (especially not knowing exactly how APs role would pan out with Chester Taylor). Obviously it panned out... But would I take Mathews as my RB2? Well, given that Mathews has a clearer role as a feature back with goalline work, there is a lot of optimism that he will be able to produce nice numbers. But 1500 total yds and 12 TDs? That's the high end IMO. If McNeill gets extended and the O-line stays healthy, he has a shot at numbers like those. I think I'd probably take him in the early third if I had one of the top 4 picks. But I would venture a guess that he won't last that long in any of my drafts...

This is hard to read and therefore, I'm avoiding him unless he falls to the 4th. The thing is, from a talent point of view, I think Sproles is amazing. I think Turner has lost whatever 'IT' was he had with the Cowboys. The running game has been basically non-existent since he joined the bolts. In 2008, Sproles had some monster games ending the season and it seemed obvious to me that he should have been more involved in 2009 - Turner thought otherwise. Turner has also under-utilized Gates since becoming HC of the bolts. It's clear to me that Turner likes to focus on the passing game to WRs - he's even strayed from the effective screen game in 2008. IF the bolts start focusing on RB more, I think it should be through Sproles. Dude has Barry Sanders ability and doesn't get hurt - I think his 5'6 frame helps him avoid injuries. My assesment could very well be wrong but that's how I've seen it the last few years and I don't see it changing. Regardless, I will avoid and probably take Sproles in later rounds (like I did last year).

He is in a great situation. I think he is going to be in the neighborhood of 1200-1500 total yards and 8-12 TDs.

San Diego looks to have a great rushing schedule and their passing game is good so you can't just stack the box. With all the alleged problems the Charges OL have they are still in the top 1/3 in the League.

I'm pretty high on him.

This is hard to read and therefore, I'm avoiding him unless he falls to the 4th. The thing is, from a talent point of view, I think Sproles is amazing. I think Turner has lost whatever 'IT' was he had with the Cowboys. The running game has been basically non-existent since he joined the bolts. In 2008, Sproles had some monster games ending the season and it seemed obvious to me that he should have been more involved in 2009 - Turner thought otherwise. Turner has also under-utilized Gates since becoming HC of the bolts. It's clear to me that Turner likes to focus on the passing game to WRs - he's even strayed from the effective screen game in 2008. IF the bolts start focusing on RB more, I think it should be through Sproles. Dude has Barry Sanders ability and doesn't get hurt - I think his 5'6 frame helps him avoid injuries. My assesment could very well be wrong but that's how I've seen it the last few years and I don't see it changing. Regardless, I will avoid and probably take Sproles in later rounds (like I did last year).

I think what Turner lost from his Dallas days is Emmitt and the dudes that Emmitt told to stand up during his HOF speech.

I think what Turner lost from his Dallas days is Emmitt and the dudes that Emmitt told to stand up during his HOF speech.

:wacko: I think you're right. But everytime I hear one of the Dallas 'trio' talk about the good ol' days, they speak of Turner in high regard.

On a side note, Marty would have had the bolts in the SB one of these last 4 years if he wasn't fired.

Edited by Brentastic

For some, in the second he is "swing for the fences." The way I look at it, with all the RBBC swinging for the fences early isn't as a big a risk as it used to be. You can load up on committee backs later in the draft and hopefully one will pan out if you aren't sold on Matthews.

Saw the kid play in college and I liked what I saw, but that's a tough call still. It would be nice to get him on the turn at the end of the 2nd or early 3rd. Assuming you already have one stud RB, you can take a chance on him at that point.

He is in a great situation. I think he is going to be in the neighborhood of 1200-1500 total yards and 8-12 TDs.

San Diego looks to have a great rushing schedule and their passing game is good so you can't just stack the box. With all the alleged problems the Charges OL have they are still in the top 1/3 in the League.

How great of a situation is it really though? No Franchise left tackle, no star wide receiver...

Yep. My biggest concern, far more than V Jackson etc.

Absolutely. You can find guys to fill in a WR. You can't replace an elite talent at Left Tackle. I support the Chargers front office for not wanting to extend Merriman as his injuries have effected his numbers and explosion. I also support not giving into the demands of a WR that is getting in trouble off the field too much. But McNeal is the blindside protecter of your most important player. He plays IMO the second most important role on offense and to my knowledge hasn't been into any trouble with the league. They got a steal drafting him where they did, and I'd be all for extending him to keep the big man happy.