[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

My first auction league

Big F'n Dave

1. What's the best amount to start with? $100? $200? Does it matter?

2. Should owners be required to save the minimum bid for each roster spot? Say we go a buck minimum. Must each owner save at least one dollar for every open roster spot?

3. We're gonna draw cards to determine the player nomination order. Do most auctions go serpentine or do they keep the same order each round?

TIA.

1. really doesn't matter, it all comes down to percentage of overall cap. if the min bid is a dollar, the higher the cap, the less percentage you have to devote just to filling out your roster with minimum bid guys. but even that effect is negligible.

2. yes, absolutely.

3. probably could do this either way and it wouldn't matter much. seems like 1-12, 1-12, 1-12 makes the most sense.

Edited by Azazello1313

1. really doesn't matter, it all comes down to percentage of overall cap. if the min bid is a dollar, the higher the cap, the less percentage you have to devote just to filling out your roster with minimum bid guys. but even that effect is negligible.

2. yes, absolutely.

3. probably could do this either way and it wouldn't matter much. seems like 1-12, 1-12, 1-12 makes the most sense.

agree on 1 and 2 and also agree that 3 wont matter much no matter what you do.

I prefer 100 as it's a little easier to keep track of pecentages, plus saves time as you can't up a bid by half a percent, which IMO is a waste of time. (Fortunately most people finally realized any other total starting amount is stupid)

2. Should owners be required to save the minimum bid for each roster spot? Say we go a buck minimum. Must each owner save at least one dollar for every open roster spot?

Hell yes. We tried both ways; trust me on this one.

3. We're gonna draw cards to determine the player nomination order. Do most auctions go serpentine or do they keep the same order each round?

Don't know what most others do but again trust me, do serpentine as it DOES matter when you get nearer the end of the draft and most/all people only have a buck left, effectively turning it into a non-auction draft.

Edited by BeeR

TIA.

1. I prefer a cap of $200 or more because it allows for more variation in bidding, thus making a more interesting auction. In a $100 cap, you can predict what almost everyone is going to go for within $1-3. More unexpected things happen when the cap is larger.

2. I've not been in a league where that's not the case, so can't speak to pros and cons.

3. Nomination order doesn't matter in auctions. Easiest to keep the same order each round.

I run my league at $150 Salary cap, b/c I feel it does give the teams who study an advantage because there are no books or sites that have sheets for $150. I feel it does make a pretty big difference.

100% yes for #2

We go 1-12, 1-12. A little tid-bit of information. With your first pick select your #1 kicker for a $1. No one will out bid you and you get your kicker. If someone does out bid you than they are down a buck. After I did this 2 years ago, the draw of the cards is pretty much for you kicker. Same with Defense. Find that mid range D that you feel no one will out bid and go round 2 with it!!!! It will work

With your first pick select your #1 kicker for a $1. No one will out bid you and you get your kicker. If someone does out bid you than they are down a buck.

Sounds good on the surface but totally disagree - esp w/your first pick, this is a hideous waste, and PKs are a dime a dozen anyway. IMO makes far more sense to nominate someone you don't want and suck away a big chunk of someone's buying power.

Sounds good on the surface but totally disagree - esp w/your first pick, this is a hideous waste, and PKs are a dime a dozen anyway. IMO makes far more sense to nominate someone you don't want and suck away a big chunk of someone's buying power.

What he said. You'll need to be careful if you throw out a name of a player you don't want if you raise the bid too much. You may be stuck with that player. Enjoy your auction!

Edited by borge007

They are a dime a dozen...but everyone pays a dollar for them so why not get the 1 you want and let everyone else throw out the names of guys that you don't want. It doesn't matter if it is your first nomination or your 8th...all it is a nomination. You aren't locked into MJD if you throw him out there...so might as well get someone you want and only pay $1 for your first player