[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

IDP players in return yardage leagues

Klinger

You won't find many IDP players that return punts but there are a few that handle kickoff duties:

1. Webb, Lardarius BAL CB

2. Manning, Danieal CHI S

3. Witherspoon, Brian DET CB

4. Hobbs, Ellis PHI CB

5. Harris, Victor PHI S

6. Carr, Chris BAL CB

7. Blackmon, Will GBP CB

If you are looking to maximizing your players, try getting a rock solid punt returner at WR for your 4th/5th starter.

Javier Arenas is a rookie corner for the Chiefs who will more than likely be the nickel back on defense. He also ran back kickoffs the first preseason game and will probably do punts as well.

His kickoff returns were REALLY good. He had about a 45 yard return, and then later ran one back for a 99 yard TD that was called back. He may be worth a flyer late. He will get plenty of time in pass defense for some IDP value.

Edited by Chief Dick

• 2 weeks later...

The trick is determining which teams have already decided (or better yet, announced that they've decideed) who will be their return guys... most teams haven't decided, at least not 100%... If they have, they haven't made it official to the public. In any given year, there are typically only a couple of starting DB's that return kicks "full time." In other words, there will be a few others that might return occasionally, or share kick return duties, but few return a large majority of their team's kickoffs... at least enough to justify starting them each week in a fantasy league.

Obviously, another thing to keep in mind is that kickoff return guys gain WAY more yardage than punt return guys. In the league of mine that rewards return yardage points, I don't even bother with the guys who return punts only, unless they're already a solid IDP producer (in terms of tackles, etc.) as well.

Like I said, at this point, some teams are still deciding... Due to the fact that there are usually so few IDP return guys who generate consistent yardage each and every week, I'm not even confortable posting who I think those guys will be. If you PM me, I'll reply with a short list.

Wait a minute... You're not in my league, are you? :wacko: Just to be sure, include the name of your league in your PM. :tup:

FYI - Josh Wilson was traded from Seattle to Baltimore tonight, for a 2011 pick. Not sure how this affects his chances of returning kicks... still probably too early to tell.

LINK

Josh is someone who has started a lot of games for a young player, plus he has been a good special teams player both as a kick returner and in coverages," general manager Ozzie Newsome said. "He adds depth to our secondary and will help us. Pending his physical, we expect Josh to be taking snaps against the Jets on opening night.

FYI - Josh Wilson was traded from Seattle to Baltimore tonight, for a 2011 pick. Not sure how this affects his chances of returning kicks... still probably too early to tell.

LINK

Wilson can only help a thin Ravens secondary...not sure what will happen from a return standpoint but I do think this deal really helps the Ravens...also note that Ozzie said he adds DEPTH to their secondary...didn't say he would be starting