[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Dynasty value of Charlie Whitehurst

MTSuper7

I watched Whitehurst play in the preseason game vs. Tennessee this weekend, and I thought he looked pretty good. He actually looked better than Hasselbeck IMO (granted, Hasselbeck had to deal with the Titans' first stringers). I haven't been paying attention to Seahawks' camp though, so I'm not sure if this was a flash in the pan or if Whitehurst has been doing okay this preseason... How confident should we be that Whitehurst will inherit this team? Any chance it happens mid year this season?

This is a pretty touchy subject around Seattle. 99% of the fans out here wake up at first light, get on their knees, and pray before their Matt Hasselbeck statue. The organization is seemingly in line with this. All you ever hear about is how good of shape Matt is in, how good of a leader he is, how he's learning to work with the receivers, etc. The guy really is one heck of an ambassador for the franchise, so it is hard to be critical of him around here. I would bet that most fans here are so delusional that they still consider him a top-8 elite style QB. They will find any excuse possible to explain why he has been one of the worst starting QB's in the NFL over the past two seasons. They do have some valid points. The running game, line, and receivers have been even worse than he has been. That said, he has made way too many terrible throws and terrible decisions the past couple seasons.

Matt IS the starter. The plan is that he is going to play well, the Seahawks will be about .500, and Matt will start all 16 games. I don't buy it. I think that if the Seahawks start out like 3-6, it is going to be awfully difficult to justify not giving Whitehurst a chance. Hasselbeck is a free agent after the season, so I think they should like to know whether or not Whitehurst can play before they have to decide on whether or not to try to extend Hasselbeck for another few years. If the Seahawks go 5-11, and Whitehurst doesn't start at least 4-5 games, I'm going to be pretty irate. That would just be so near-sighted. Still, that is what the fans here would want. If the Seahawks were 0-16, they would still want Hasselbeck.

My gut tells me that the Seahawks are gonna be pretty bad, and Matt is going to be pretty bad as well, or injured. Either way, I think Whitehurst is going to somehow do enough this year to justify handing him the job next season. Again, another possibility is that they draft a QB very high next year, which would mean even if Whitehurst gets the job, he is just renting it for a season. For what he would cost you in a fantasy draft, I think he's probably worth the risk. He has tools and looked a lot more calm and cool than I thought he would. The next few weeks could be interesting, especially if Hasselbeck continues to look lost.

couldn't disagree more with hawks 21, no shock there

word out of camp is there is no QB controversy - Hass is head and shoulders better than Whitehurst. The only competition I have heard is between Whitehurst and Losman for the #2 spot. Charlie may pay dividends down the road but he isn't ready yet. He only sees the field in mop up and if/when Hass goes down

one of the worst starting QB's in the L the last 2 years? idiotic statement

You can't win in football without a decent offensive line. Ours has been terrible for the last few years. Hasselbeck does not usually improvise well, which he has been asked to do while running for his life. As tough as he is, he will most likely go down early to mid season, and hopefully Whitehurst is better than Lostman.

To try and answer your question Super7, I think Whitehurst's performance surprised everyone and we're all now wondering if our new front office actually knew what they were doing with that trade. Reports have been saying he's not looking good, but my friends who've watched in camp say he's sharp and has good arm.

couldn't disagree more with hawks 21, no shock there

word out of camp is there is no QB controversy - Hass is head and shoulders better than Whitehurst. The only competition I have heard is between Whitehurst and Losman for the #2 spot. Charlie may pay dividends down the road but he isn't ready yet. He only sees the field in mop up and if/when Hass goes down

one of the worst starting QB's in the L the last 2 years? idiotic statement

In 2008, Hasselbeck ended the season with a 52% completion percentage, 5 TDs/10 ints for a rating of 57.8, which is in Jamarcus Russell territory. Last year he had 17 TD/17 int and lost 3 fumbles (out of 11 total fumbles), and had one of the lowest ratings in the league for all starters.. The guy looked completely lost and routinely threw the ball to wide open defenders. I don't know how that is head and shoulders above ANYBODY, let alone a guy that has looked good thus far that you gave up so much to get.

I never said in any way that there is a controversy. Are you telling me that if the Seahawks and Hasselbeck both have another terrible year, they aren't going to be tempted to find out if Whitehurst can play? They're just going to sign Hasselbeck to an extension regardless? I don't know where you get your information, but I have heard that Whitehurst has looked pretty darn good in camp and is picking things up very quickly.

Edited by Seahawks21

If Okung pans out, Hasselbeck might start looking like the Hass of old... But I also think it would be wise for the Seahawks to see what they've got in Whitehurst. As soon as they lose 9 games (and, in essence, are guaranteed to miss the playoffs), why not let Whitehurst start and see. I was definitely surprised by how he played in the game this past weekend. He just looked confident and in control generally. But I didn't want to make a general opinion based on just that one performance.

If Okung pans out, Hasselbeck might start looking like the Hass of old... But I also think it would be wise for the Seahawks to see what they've got in Whitehurst. As soon as they lose 9 games (and, in essence, are guaranteed to miss the playoffs), why not let Whitehurst start and see. I was definitely surprised by how he played in the game this past weekend. He just looked confident and in control generally. But I didn't want to make a general opinion based on just that one performance.

agree with pretty much everything you said. I think Hass could surprise. that being said, SEA will want to see what Whitehurst has this year so they know how to approach the draft next year. It doesn't look like the Seabirds are going to be lighting the league on fire and i don't think they'll wait for 9 losses necessarily.

In 2008, Hasselbeck ended the season with a 52% completion percentage, 5 TDs/10 ints for a rating of 57.8, which is in Jamarcus Russell territory. Last year he had 17 TD/17 int and lost 3 fumbles (out of 11 total fumbles), and had one of the lowest ratings in the league for all starters.. The guy looked completely lost and routinely threw the ball to wide open defenders. I don't know how that is head and shoulders above ANYBODY, let alone a guy that has looked good thus far that you gave up so much to get.

I never said in any way that there is a controversy. Are you telling me that if the Seahawks and Hasselbeck both have another terrible year, they aren't going to be tempted to find out if Whitehurst can play? They're just going to sign Hasselbeck to an extension regardless? I don't know where you get your information, but I have heard that Whitehurst has looked pretty darn good in camp and is picking things up very quickly.

yep- you can pretty much mark it down that damn near every point and argument you make I disagree with 100%. You are wrong at a high high clip my man, it is really uncanny. Whitehurst very well may play due to injury or a chit year by the Hawks, but today? he isn't even close to having what Hass brings the table - period. end of story. Offensive coaches have clearly stated Hass is #1

Your comment about Hass being one of the worst QB is so effin wacked out I don't know where to start. He has been dealing with a decimated line, terrible run game and mediocre WR for the past few years and to put him in the same sentence as Jamarcus and the rest of the bottom feeders is pure nonsense. More to the story with Hass and the Sea offense than numbers

I have seen ZERO reports that Charlie is in the running to start - looked good? ya, sure. Ready to unseat a recharged, motivated HAss? negative

Emboldened by the surprisingly good play of newcomer and reserve quarterback Charlie Whitehurst and the early game struggles of starter Matt Hasselbeck last week, Seattle Seahawks fans are burning up the radio airwaves and the Internet chat rooms in an effort to stir up an early quarterback controversy in Seattle.

But Hasselbeck, Whitehurst and Seahawks head coach Pete Carroll are not taking the bait. Whitehurst said after the exhibition Saturday that it was nice to play well, but he understands it was only one game.

Is Hasselbeck in QB crosshairs? - Tacoma News Tribune

yep- you can pretty much mark it down that damn near every point and argument you make I disagree with 100%. You are wrong at a high high clip my man, it is really uncanny. Whitehurst very well may play due to injury or a chit year by the Hawks, but today? he isn't even close to having what Hass brings the table - period. end of story. Offensive coaches have clearly stated Hass is #1

Your comment about Hass being one of the worst QB is so effin wacked out I don't know where to start. He has been dealing with a decimated line, terrible run game and mediocre WR for the past few years and to put him in the same sentence as Jamarcus and the rest of the bottom feeders is pure nonsense. More to the story with Hass and the Sea offense than numbers

I have seen ZERO reports that Charlie is in the running to start - looked good? ya, sure. Ready to unseat a recharged, motivated HAss? negative

I'm wrong at a high clip? Me? Wildcat2334 is saying that I'm often wrong? Of all people. Unbelievable. Just unbelievable. Pay me my money now you welchin' SOB.

Yeah, Hasselbeck has been great. Every starting QB in the NFL falls on the ground untouched three times a game and throws the ball to wide open defenders when there is no pressure on him. Maybe the bottom 3 starting QB's in the NFL routinely make such headscratching plays. I'm not saying it is his fault, but he got really bad, really fast. The guy is punch drunk. And you are absolutely delusional. Dude you're batting about 1-15 against when arguing my points, while continuing to call my points "moronic" or whatever it is you choose to call them. How do you get a big head off of that? Of all people. Are you that delusional? Yer just jerkin' my chain, right?

Who ever said Whitehurst was in the running to start the season? You would fit right in with the most of the Seattle boards. Jump, lemming! BTW, thanks for proving all of my original points.

Edited by Seahawks21

I'm wrong at a high clip? Me? Wildcat2334 is saying that I'm often wrong? Of all people. Unbelievable. Just unbelievable. Pay me my money now you welchin' SOB.

Yeah, Hasselbeck has been great. Every starting QB in the NFL falls on the ground untouched three times a game and throws the ball to wide open defenders when there is no pressure on him. Maybe the bottom 3 starting QB's in the NFL routinely make such headscratching plays. I'm not saying it is his fault, but he got really bad, really fast. The guy is punch drunk. And you are absolutely delusional. Dude you're batting about 1-15 against when arguing my points, while continuing to call my points "moronic" or whatever it is you choose to call them. How do you get a big head off of that? Of all people. Are you that delusional? Yer just jerkin' my chain, right?

Who ever said Whitehurst was in the running to start the season? You would fit right in with the most of the Seattle boards. Jump, lemming! BTW, thanks for proving all of my original points.

pay me my money?? w t f are u even talking about. I have never wagered with you in my life and yer calling me a welcher? delusional

u try to come off as some in the know expert with yer against the grain insight, when the fact is u don't know jacksh1t and are wrong damn near every time.

Hass great? uh no, I never said that, but hardly one of the worst QB's in the league and many teams would happily trot him out as their starter on week 1. Dude has had some brutal offensive talent around him the past few years

Whitehurst? may turn into a solid starter at some point and I hope he does. This year? Hass is heads and shoulders ahead of him

You can't win in football without a decent offensive line. Ours has been terrible for the last few years. Hasselbeck does not usually improvise well, which he has been asked to do while running for his life. As tough as he is, he will most likely go down early to mid season, and hopefully Whitehurst is better than Lostman.

To try and answer your question Super7, I think Whitehurst's performance surprised everyone and we're all now wondering if our new front office actually knew what they were doing with that trade. Reports have been saying he's not looking good, but my friends who've watched in camp say he's sharp and has good arm.

Good info from Jedi. Charlie Whitebeard is a great low pickup risk in dynasty leagues. Camp reviews of him have been mixed and apparently he did rather well in the 1st preseason game (I've yet to watch my DVR of it). Whitebeard came at a fairly high price, so his time on the bench, should be fairly limited, but I don't see how you give him much immediate value in a redraft league.

Either way, Hasselbeck should be the man until disaster or injury, as a Seahawk fan I'm confident it won't happen until maybe week 2. Hass was a great fit under a Holmgren WCO clicking on all cylinders. IMO, he was great at getting the most of his limited ability. His time as a NFL QB is nearing an end. I'm apparently not familiar with the Hawk fans that worship Matt Hasselbeck's statue. Seahawks21 has a completely different social network than me, or maybe just a bunch of isolated friends he surrounds himself with.

While the Seahawks21 and wildcat23234 pissing match may lack interest to the outsider; it may be more valuable than any the Seahawk QB this season on your fantasy team.

Edited by bushwacked

pay me my money?? w t f are u even talking about. I have never wagered with you in my life and yer calling me a welcher? delusional

u try to come off as some in the know expert with yer against the grain insight, when the fact is u don't know jacksh1t and are wrong damn near every time.

Hass great? uh no, I never said that, but hardly one of the worst QB's in the league and many teams would happily trot him out as their starter on week 1. Dude has had some brutal offensive talent around him the past few years

Whitehurst? may turn into a solid starter at some point and I hope he does. This year? Hass is heads and shoulders ahead of him

So that wasn't you that was so adamant Shaun Alexander would remain a top-10 back that you put money on it?

When I get some days off next week, we're going to go over our history a little bit. Comical. "Wrong damn near every time". Just remember you said that. That is all I ask. Don't backtrack.

Edited by Seahawks21

So that wasn't you that was so adamant Shaun Alexander would remain a top-10 back that you put money on it?

naw that was me - but you backed out of actually making the bet because of lack of fundage, I believe, or never responded, whatever the case there was no bet.

don't ever call me a welcher - I have made, collected and paid many bets with Huddlers

Good info from Jedi. Charlie Whitebeard is a great low pickup risk in dynasty leagues. Camp reviews of him have been mixed and apparently he did rather well in the 1st preseason game (I've yet to watch my DVR of it). Whitebeard came at a fairly high price, so his time on the bench, should be fairly limited, but I don't see how you give him much immediate value in a redraft league.

Either way, Hasselbeck should be the man until disaster or injury, as a Seahawk fan I'm confident it won't happen until maybe week 2. Hass was a great fit under a Holmgren WCO clicking on all cylinders. IMO, he was great at getting the most of his limited ability. His time as a NFL QB is nearing an end. I'm apparently not familiar with the Hawk fans that worship Matt Hasselbeck's statue. Seahawks21 has a completely different social network than me, or maybe just a bunch of isolated friends he surrounds himself with.

While the Seahawks21 and wildcat23234 pissing match may lack interest to the outsider; it may be more valuable than any the Seahawk QB this season on your fantasy team.

Haha I work in an office full of Seahawks fans and listen to local sportsradio all day at my desk. You are the only other person I have ever heard that isn't convinced that Hasselbeck has 3-5 good years left if he gets some help. It is nice not to be on the island alone for once. Welcome! Tell me you brought food and women.

naw that was me - but you backed out of actually making the bet because of lack of fundage, I believe, or never responded, whatever the case there was no bet.

don't ever call me a welcher - I have made, collected and paid many bets with Huddlers

Hmmmmmmm?

yer an fn clown.

it all came back to me, u talked big on the forums and never returned PM's to confirm: A) scoring used :wacko: terms of the bet.

and u pull out some chit proof bc you popped in a post? str8 grabage homie - and just your style.

ask anyone in here I have always made wagers and paid if I lost this is some kind of a tasty morsel after the fact attempt bc you and I both know the bet was never officially made

Oh, now it all suddenly came back to you?

We did decide on a scoring system, it was standard performance, no PPR. I remember because it helped you that it wasn't PPR. I even read over a couple more threads later in the year where we referenced the bet! The demise of Alexander was well documented on these boards, and your fingerprints are all over it. I should have pasted those on here as well. How can you possibly read over that thread and deny that a bet was "officially made"? Inspector Gadget couldn't reach as far as you're trying to go here. That is pretty lame, even for you. I honestly can't believe what I just read. How can a person be so far out of touch with reality on such a regular basis? I give up.

Edited by Seahawks21

Oh, now it all suddenly came back to you?

We did decide on a scoring system, it was standard performance, no PPR. I remember because it helped you that it wasn't PPR. I even read over a couple more threads later in the year where we referenced the bet! The demise of Alexander was well documented on these boards, and your fingerprints are all over it. I should have pasted those on here as well. How can you possibly read over that thread and deny that a bet was "officially made"? Inspector Gadget couldn't reach as far as you're trying to go here. That is pretty lame, even for you. I honestly can't believe what I just read. How can a person be so far out of touch with reality on such a regular basis? I give up.

dude, yer effing crazy. it was 3 years ago! yer callng me out now? I have ZERO PM's or anything from you, this is nonsense

I propose bets all the time on the huddle in a post, does that make it an official bet? no. Obviously I was ready to make the bet, and sent u a PM to finalize and u never responded to- where I come from that is a "No Bet" . EVERY single bet I have made in the huddle there has been a definite confirmation- not bchit thrown about on a thread

get the eff outta here with this nonsense