[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

How to work an odd # of owners in a league?

BeeR

Hasn't happened yet but possible - say you're in this situation. I know how to do the scoring (use league avg for the week you play the non-existant "extra" team), and playoffs (one wild card vs 2 etc) but how do you work the schedule?

Hasn't happened yet but possible - say you're in this situation. I know how to do the scoring (use league avg for the week you play the non-existant "extra" team), and playoffs (one wild card vs 2 etc) but how do you work the schedule?

how many teams?

how many teams?

I don't see how that matters (the method I'd think would be the same) but 11.

Would you consider an all play league where you basically compile total records if you were to play all teams in any given week? I would think it would work well in that situation...

No but thx for the idea. We are going to play as "normally" as possible...

I believe at mfl.com you can use a schedule that has league average set as a "team" to be played each week.

If you're not using mfl.com, create a mythical team, set your schedule as a normal even-team league, and then substitute the league average number for the mythical team.

I don't see how that matters (the method I'd think would be the same) but 11.

could be different ways to deal with 7, 9, 11, 13, 15..........

11: could do 2 or 3 divs. i'd go against playing league avg.... gives an unfair disadantage to those playing it. maybe double header...

I ran a 15-team league once and we rotated through doubleheaders, so at least 1 team each week would play 2 games. It worked out so that we played 16 games each in 13 weeks (so everyone had 3 doubleheaders spread out during the year, you can do less doubleheaders to make it cleaner). I made sure the schedule was posted prior to the draft so teams could avoid big bye weeks during their double header weeks.

Edited by sportfreak

11: could do 2 or 3 divs. i'd go against playing league avg.... gives an unfair disadantage to those playing it. maybe double header...

Double headers or all-play is what I was going to suggest. One division for 11 or 13 team league or 3 for 15. I wouldn't go any higher than 15 though.

Edited by rajncajn

- No divisions (just one set of standings, where the top X teams make playoffs).

- I use double-headers to "balance" out the schedules in a couple of my leagues already... works well, even in leagues with even number of teams.

- Pain in the butt to set it up initially, maybe, but I would do enough double-headers so that everyone plays each team twice, if possible. In other words, you know you'll have a minimum of one DH per week. Play enough additional DH's so that, in a 13-week season, each team plays 20 games (the other ten teams twice).

If my math is correct, you would be looking for 110 games total (11 teams x 20 opponents each = 220)... take 220 and divide it in half (since each game has two opponents playing each other). To get the 110 total games in a 13-week season, play the following:

Non-NFL-bye weeks (weeks 1-3 and 11-13) - Play nine games (seven teams will play a DH)... 6 weeks x 9 games = 54 games

NFL bye-weeks (weeks 4-10) - Play eight games (five teams will play a DH)... 7 weeks x 8 games = 56 games

54 + 56 = 110

Basically, each team would play seven double-header weeks, and six non-DH weeks. But, nobody could complain about an unfair schedule, as it would be balanced. :wacko:

The other option would be to play with an unbalanced schedule, and just have one DH per week... But, that doesn't really work out, unless you play a 11-week regular season (and each team gets one DH).

11: could do 2 or 3 divs. i'd go against playing league avg.... gives an unfair disadantage to those playing it.

?? That sounds like the most fair to me scoring-wise. If you have an above avg game you win, if not you lose. And while I don't like the idea of one division, the more divisions you have (this is regardless of whether you have an odd or even # of teams) the more you increase the chance of one "weak" division so that the div winner gets in the playoffs. That's why I always pushed for 2. Course you could just say the top teams get in ie all wild cards so to speak. hmm

I believe at mfl.com you can use a schedule that has league average set as a "team" to be played each week.

If you're not using mfl.com, create a mythical team, set your schedule as a normal even-team league, and then substitute the league average number for the mythical team.

So far this sounds like the best option for us. All play and double-headers might work numbers-wise but have no appeal, too busy plus we want to stick to as "normal" of a H2H thing as possible. The only possible problem I see is playoff seeding, ie what if the pretend team ended up as playoff level team :wacko: You could "skip" to the next team, but that sounds like it might be an advantage for that division.

Anyway thx for all the ideas, appreciate it

?? That sounds like the most fair to me scoring-wise. If you have an above avg game you win, if not you lose. And while I don't like the idea of one division, the more divisions you have (this is regardless of whether you have an odd or even # of teams) the more you increase the chance of one "weak" division so that the div winner gets in the playoffs. That's why I always pushed for 2. Course you could just say the top teams get in ie all wild cards so to speak. hmm

..... if it were set up as a team, and in a particular division, and that division plays them more than once while playing out of div teams once..... playing the team average twice is a bit of a disadvantage.