[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

SOFA IDP Draft

keggerz

http://football3.myfantasyleague.com/2010/...=44612&O=17

Darin has the reigns this year and he really pulled a crappy draft slot, imo.

Solid start IMO. I think the 1.9 is alittle better than the 1.7. Surpised to see Moss go there but great shift in philosophy by going QB. Now....whats he gonna do with that 4.4?????

Solid start IMO. I think the 1.9 is alittle better than the 1.7. Surpised to see Moss go there but great shift in philosophy by going QB. Now....whats he gonna do with that 4.4?????

we did discuss the start and both thought Rodgers was the best value at 1.9...yet neither of us really loved having to go QB....I was hoping White would be there for his 2nd but he didn't make it....but nothing wrong with Marshall....there were a handful of RBs we talked about and hoped would make it to 3.9 and well let's just say the options we thought would be there weren't really there...as far as the 4th round you will just have to wait to see what the strategy is.

I'm actually a little upset about this, This is supposed to be an experts draft. Not the guy with the most posts draft. A rod in the 1st with 4 pt tds is hardly the pick that DMD the huddle expert would draft. So who are the other draft participants? Jon Hansen, Adam? For the Guru? David Dodds? If thses guys are drafting along with the other websites "experts" than I believe that the Huddle should be represented by WW or DMD. JMO if DMD backs this than he should rank AROD a heck of alot higher Post a top 200 and put AROD #9 in a ppr, pass td 4pts league. Just saying. This league will be played out and not just a mock draft. Save that for mockdraft central.

I'm actually a little upset about this, This is supposed to be an experts draft. Not the guy with the most posts draft. A rod in the 1st with 4 pt tds is hardly the pick that DMD the huddle expert would draft. So who are the other draft participants? Jon Hansen, Adam? For the Guru? David Dodds? If thses guys are drafting along with the other websites "experts" than I believe that the Huddle should be represented by WW or DMD. JMO if DMD backs this than he should rank AROD a heck of alot higher Post a top 200 and put AROD #9 in a ppr, pass td 4pts league. Just saying. This league will be played out and not just a mock draft. Save that for mockdraft central.

:wacko:

According to The Huddle Top 200 PPR rankings as of Aug.17th, Aaron Rogers ranks 7th. Soooooo.....what would have YOU done?

DMD doesn't do IDP(nor does WW as far as I know)...Darin and I are the IDP writers and we alternate who drafts in the SOFA IDP league each year....Darin is the one that is making the calls this year but we have both discussed the picks....while neither of us liked taking a QB in round 1 (and if you knew how I generally feel about QBs then you would understand...feel free to do some searches) we both agreed that it looked like the best move since there wasn't any RBs or WRs that we loved at that spot....and we know that this league gets played out and draft to win the league and neither of us take it lightly...and fwiw, we have both made the playoffs the last 2 years but each time we lost in the 2nd round.

fwiw the other drafters are:

Rotoworld: Evan Silva

Footballguys: John Norton

USA Today: Matt Pitzer

Rotowire: Jeff Erickson

Fantasy Insights:: Todd Colburn

KFFL Cory Bonini

FF Mastermind: Mike Nazarek

FantasyFootball.com: Craig Davis

Sports Grumblings - John Georgopoulos

FF Today - Tony Nowak

Fantasy Guru - Joseph Dolan

Edited by keggerz

Rundown so far:

1.09 - Aaron Rodgers (QB - GBP): Both keggerz and I are typically proponents of waiting on QB (especially this season where there's a ton of middle-round value), but the #9 spot is one of the trickiest to navigate this season. Gone are the sure-fire RBs and the top 2(ish) WRs. If Andre Johnson had fallen (somehow), then he woulda been scooped up in a New York minute. But alas, he was gone... so too was Moss, who would have got the once-over. We settled on Rodgers, thinking that he may not last around the turn. QBs have traditionally "lasted" in this league's draft, but we weren't sure about this time around. We knew there would be both WR (which I was targeting) and RB value come the 2nd round. Any way you slice it, Rodgers is the premier fantasy QB. He runs the ball better than any other starting QB in the NFL and the schedule is rather favorable. Too early? Maybe. But we didn't want to gamble on the likes of Wayne, S-Jax or Charles. We'll take the sure thing and fill in the roster with PPR up-and-comers at RB.

2.04 - Brandon Marshall (WR - MIA): Marshall is a PPR machine, as evidenced last season with the vanilla Kyle Orton at the helm. Marshall's new throwing partner, Chad Henne, is an up-and-coming young talent who will get Marshall the ball early and often. I am still high on Fitz, but we wanted more of a sure thing at WR. Even with the change in venue and fact that Miami could be considered a run-first offense, we like Marshall here.

3.09 - Knowshon Moreno (RB - DEN): Many Huddle "long-timers" that I spoke to are very high on Moreno this season. We're not too worried about the hammy. Moreno was the #23 RB in SOFA IDP last season, and we're hoping he climbs into the top 10-12 this season. He'll do that if he ups his reception totals... which is a definite possibility.

4.04 - Antonio Gates (TE - SDC): Conventional wisdom was pointing towards taking RB2 or WR2, but we really saw no difference makers (Jonathan Stewart, Chad OchoCinco). So we went with the difference-maker at TE, knowing the first tier of TEs would probably be long gone by the next time we picked (which turned out to be true). What's not to like about Gates? He just keeps chugging along, and could be more involved in the pass game with Vincent Jackson on the shelf to start the season. Worried about more double teams? Don't be.

5.09 - Jahvid Best (RB - DET): Both keggerz and I are real high on Best this season. He supposedly looked great in his Lion pre-season debut, only sitting out one play in the first three series. He's going to catch a ton of balls this season and has big-play ability. He won't approach RB1 numbers by any stretch, but RB2 type numbers are definitely within reach.

6.04 - Percy Harvin (WR - MIN): We were going to make this pick even if Brett Favre was still "on the fence". With the news of Favre's return coming in today, we pounced. Harvin is still debilitated by the migraine headaches, but we've read several outlets' claims that Harvin's game is going to take a big leap in 2010. Harvin was the #23 fantasy WR in SOFA format in 2009, and this is with missing one week and being generally unusable in the final two weeks of the season. We expect WR2 type numbers for sure.

Moving forward, we are going to continue to be trendsetters in this draft. You don't win unless you take some calculated risks and mix in a "safer" pick every now and then.

I'm actually a little upset about this, This is supposed to be an experts draft. Not the guy with the most posts draft.

I don't really understand why you're upset. I mean, you could disagree with the pick, which is your own opinion, but upset? Are you paying TheHuddle to represent you in this draft?

As stated by others, Darin and Keggerz are our local IDP experts. Seeing as how this is an IDP draft, there are very few other people from the Huddle I would choose. Don't be upset just because you only have 435 posts.

I don't really understand why you're upset. I mean, you could disagree with the pick, which is your own opinion, but upset? Are you paying TheHuddle to represent you in this draft?

As stated by others, Darin and Keggerz are our local IDP experts. Seeing as how this is an IDP draft, there are very few other people from the Huddle I would choose. Don't be upset just because you only have 435 posts.

It's the Site OWNERS' Fantasy Association, but it doesn't have to be the actual owner that's doing the drafting. They can, naturally, assign a staffer to handle the draft. Which is the case here. I'm thinking our friend hollywood doesn't realize that I've been on staff for... uhh... 5 years? 6? It all starts to blend together.

And kp... who are these few others you'd rather have drafting? :wacko:

It's the Site OWNERS' Fantasy Association, but it doesn't have to be the actual owner that's doing the drafting. They can, naturally, assign a staffer to handle the draft. Which is the case here. I'm thinking our friend hollywood doesn't realize that I've been on staff for... uhh... 5 years? 6? It all starts to blend together.

And kp... who are these few others you'd rather have drafting? :wacko:

Zooty keeps beating me in the championship game every year after I roll him in the regular season, so I've just come to assume he is the most knowledgeable Huddler.

You guys have a very different take on a whole bunch of players than I do. I think I would have held off on QB, but Rodgers is hard to argue about. I'd take Fitz over Marshall. I don't like Moreno. I like the Gates and Best pick especially Best there, but you were painted into a corner taking Best over Beason because you passed on some better RB's early. I think Tuck was a jump. I would have taken Nicks over Harvin too. Harvin is a big risk IMO with these migraines.

But, having said that, we all have different rankings. Might turn out great, but if it does, my drafts are gonna suck! :wacko: Good luck guys!

You guys have a very different take on a whole bunch of players than I do. I think I would have held off on QB, but Rodgers is hard to argue about. I'd take Fitz over Marshall. I don't like Moreno. I like the Gates and Best pick especially Best there, but you were painted into a corner taking Best over Beason because you passed on some better RB's early. I think Tuck was a jump. I would have taken Nicks over Harvin too. Harvin is a big risk IMO with these migraines.

But, having said that, we all have different rankings. Might turn out great, but if it does, my drafts are gonna suck! :wacko: Good luck guys!

Leinart and Fitz's injury scare me and I think more than darin...but I don't have a problem with Marshall there...I really pimped Best to darin and I think he just got tired of having me in his ear about that pick...darin will also tell you that I was very high on Nicks and lobbied for him over harvin but I can also see why D wanted to go with harvin....as for Tuck look below.

now that the last pick is in I can expound on what the strategy was....looking at the IDP rankings this year it is very apparent, at least to me that the DL position is very thin, especially after the top 5-6...I had checked the past 2 drafts and if we took the 1st DL at 7.9 it would have been the earliest that a DL had been taken....the plan was to double dip with Allen and another top 5 DL with the round 7/8 picks...well allen ended up going a few picks in front of us and D took Tuck....I don't have a problem with Tuck there at all but the key to it was to not just get Tuck but another of the top 5...I told D I had Mario in front of Tuck but that I didn't are if we ended up with 2 of Tuck, Mario, Peppers and that I really didn't care about the order....LB is still pretty deep and we feel that we can get very productive LBs later in this draft....while the DL picks probably seem early it really was about supply and demand and being able to have a relative advantage at a key position week in and week out....I think we now have that type of advantage at QB, TE and DL...still some work to do at RB and LB but we feel that both those positions are deep enough to warrant the wait...WR will be a bit more difficult but there will be values later too.