[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

I went WR/WR/WR/TE/QB...

j2v

Holding the sixth pick in one of the five FSWA industry leagues, I was prepared to go with Andre Johnson as my first pick. And I've gone WR/WR in the past with success, so in a PPR league I was comfortable with Brandon Marshall at 2.7. In a league where you start 2 RB, 3 WR, 1 TE and a flex and Steve Smith (NYG) still on the board at 3.6, I figured why not roll with roughly 20 points per game in catches alone.

This is where it got interesting. A combination of not being in love with the backs still on the board and thinking some of them might slide to me in later rounds convinced me to take Antonio Gates at 4.7. And with Matt Schaub still on the board in the fifth round (and getting 4 points for a TD pass), I found myself entering R6 with zero running backs on my roster. I quite likely would have gone with Justin Forsett there instead of Schaub, but Forsett went two picks before my selection.

So I made a list of a half-dozen backs I still liked and crossed my fingers. As luck would have it, I wound up with the top three names on that list over the next three rounds: CJ Spiller at 6.7, Michael Bush at 7.6, and Clinton Portis at 8.7. I missed out on guys like Reggie Bush (5.10) and Arian Foster (6.4) before taking Spiller; on Jerome Harrison (6.10) and Ahmad Bradshaw (6.11) before taking Bush; and on Cadillac Williams (7.11) before taking Portis.

As it stands now through eight rounds, my core starters would look like this:

Schaub; MBush and Spiller; AJ, Marshall, and SSmith (NYG); Gates

Other teams for comparison:

Brady; Rice and Greene; Colston, Housh, and TBD; Celek

Brees; Turner and Wells; SRice, Breaston, and VJax; TBD

Rivers; Addai and RBush; RMoss, Wallace, and Wayne; TBD

TBD; DWilliams and Gore; CJohnson, Nicks, and SSmith (CAR); Finley

Favre; Charles and PThomas; Maclin, RWhite, and Welker; Witten

Romo; CJohnson and Benson; DJackson, Bowe, and Driver; ODaniels

Cutler; AP and Mendenhall; Boldin, Sims-Walker, and TBD; VDavis

PManning; Mojo and RBrown; Austin, Ocho, and TBD; Carlson

Kolb; McCoy and Grant; Fitz, Harvin, and Jennings; TBD

EManning; Mathews and Forte; Crabtree, SMoss, Burress (yes, Plax); Shiancoe

Rodgers; SJax and Stewart; Meachem, Garçon, Aromashodu; DClark

I think Schaub earns me at least a draw at the QB position. There are maybe a couple teams that could put up a fight against my WRs, but both RMoss/Wayne/Wallace and Fitzgerald/Jennings/Harvin still need a TE so with Gates I'll dominate them there. Obviously my backs aren't pretty, but to complement those three WRs, a top-2 TE and a top-5 QB I don't need much.

There are still some solid sleepers on the board at a couple spots who could help at my flex (rather than bank on Portis every week), but those are essentially the cores of each team in the league. Did I shoot myself in the foot waiting 67 picks to take a running back? Or will my trio of 100-catch wideouts and elite TE more than make up the difference?

2V

Holding the sixth pick in one of the five FSWA industry leagues, I was prepared to go with Andre Johnson as my first pick. And I've gone WR/WR in the past with success, so in a PPR league I was comfortable with Brandon Marshall at 2.7. In a league where you start 2 RB, 3 WR, 1 TE and a flex and Steve Smith (NYG) still on the board at 3.6, I figured why not roll with roughly 20 points per game in catches alone.

This is where it got interesting. A combination of not being in love with the backs still on the board and thinking some of them might slide to me in later rounds convinced me to take Antonio Gates at 4.7. And with Matt Schaub still on the board in the fifth round (and getting 4 points for a TD pass), I found myself entering R6 with zero running backs on my roster. I quite likely would have gone with Justin Forsett there instead of Schaub, but Forsett went two picks before my selection.

So I made a list of a half-dozen backs I still liked and crossed my fingers. As luck would have it, I wound up with the top three names on that list over the next three rounds: CJ Spiller at 6.7, Michael Bush at 7.6, and Clinton Portis at 8.7. I missed out on guys like Reggie Bush (5.10) and Arian Foster (6.4) before taking Spiller; on Jerome Harrison (6.10) and Ahmad Bradshaw (6.11) before taking Bush; and on Cadillac Williams (7.11) before taking Portis.

As it stands now through eight rounds, my core starters would look like this:

Schaub; MBush and Spiller; AJ, Marshall, and SSmith (NYG); Gates

Other teams for comparison:

Brady; Rice and Greene; Colston, Housh, and TBD; Celek

Brees; Turner and Wells; SRice, Breaston, and VJax; TBD

Rivers; Addai and RBush; RMoss, Wallace, and Wayne; TBD

TBD; DWilliams and Gore; CJohnson, Nicks, and SSmith (CAR); Finley

Favre; Charles and PThomas; Maclin, RWhite, and Welker; Witten

Romo; CJohnson and Benson; DJackson, Bowe, and Driver; ODaniels

Cutler; AP and Mendenhall; Boldin, Sims-Walker, and TBD; VDavis

PManning; Mojo and RBrown; Austin, Ocho, and TBD; Carlson

Kolb; McCoy and Grant; Fitz, Harvin, and Jennings; TBD

EManning; Mathews and Forte; Crabtree, SMoss, Burress (yes, Plax); Shiancoe

Rodgers; SJax and Stewart; Meachem, Garçon, Aromashodu; DClark

I think Schaub earns me at least a draw at the QB position. There are maybe a couple teams that could put up a fight against my WRs, but both RMoss/Wayne/Wallace and Fitzgerald/Jennings/Harvin still need a TE so with Gates I'll dominate them there. Obviously my backs aren't pretty, but to complement those three WRs, a top-2 TE and a top-5 QB I don't need much.

There are still some solid sleepers on the board at a couple spots who could help at my flex (rather than bank on Portis every week), but those are essentially the cores of each team in the league. Did I shoot myself in the foot waiting 67 picks to take a running back? Or will my trio of 100-catch wideouts and elite TE more than make up the difference?

2V

I think you made the right decisions. Draft the players that you think will score the most points. On a side note...I thought I was balsy to wait until the 5th round to get a RB...but I bow to the master. :wacko: Maybe we'll start a new FF trend.

Not the backs I would have picked, but love the strategy. You're talking my language.

Pretty sure this is a good thing to do when you can. I'd rather have a Fantasy Team now that can spike, and not just grind out respectable numbers. This is a way to surely spike.

people don't usually say stuff like this, but it's exactly what I look for....

I want to score 200 pts every week in my local (average is about 150, 175 usually gets you a win and 200 is a freak day :wacko:)

I am really liking the idea of just not taking a RB until a later round if I don't have to...it depends on what happens where between now and in a few weeks when I draft...

My local has payouts for each week, high scores, biggest margin, etc...it's a better strategy to go after weekly cash grabs, but you need to be careful with the WR/TE targets you get. The four that 2v got are going to get the ball stuffed to them often and will have top performances for their position several different weeks.

This year in my 10 man ppr league I went wr/wr/wr this is the 1st time this is happened but I couldn't pass on the players. Moss 1.9 White 2.2 and then Steve Smith came back around and I wasn't going wait any longer and took him at 3.9 and then took the 1st tight end off the board at 4.2 with Vernon Davis.....Got some great value picks 4 my running backs as well . Jamal Charles in the 5,Pierre Thomas in the 6 and then Justin Forsett in the 7....I was amazed when no 1 took anyone of these Rbs..

I am going 2 tear my league up ha

This year in my 10 man ppr league I went wr/wr/wr this is the 1st time this is happened but I couldn't pass on the players. Moss 1.9 White 2.2 and then Steve Smith came back around and I wasn't going wait any longer and took him at 3.9 and then took the 1st tight end off the board at 4.2 with Vernon Davis.....Got some great value picks 4 my running backs as well . Jamal Charles in the 5,Pierre Thomas in the 6 and then Justin Forsett in the 7....I was amazed when no 1 took anyone of these Rbs..

I am going 2 tear my 8 team league up ha

:wacko:

Actually, I like this draft, with the exception of the Spiller pick. Bush and Portis are going to prove out to be incredible value picks IMO. I think you are darned lucky to have Bush and Portis fall like that. I like both better than Spiller. Getting Schaub so late was a gift from the FF gods. I like it.

Edited by Rovers

In the Better Luck Next Year, Scooby and I have gone 4 rounds with out a RB selection ... WR/QB/WR/WR 16 team league and we have R Moss, Schaub, Sidney Rice and Dw Bowe. I have never gone this far without a RB ... we can start only 1 RB and 4 WRs so we are definately running the spread offense...

Edited by Scooby's Hubby

Lol, I love the WR/WR/WR strategy...

In one of my mocks in a 12 team draft I got Randy Moss/Brandon Marshall/Anquan Boldin/Dallas Clark then finally drafted Jahvid Best and got Kevin Kolb as my qb later. Hoping for a similar turnout in my money league...

So far I have only been part of mock drafts. I looked on the board to see what other people have been doing this year because the mocks I have completed, 12 so far, I like my teams the best that I have gone WR/WR/QB/WR, we are heavy on QB scoring. Every other year the draft has been heavy RB. I needed some confirmation and you might be it.

I tried it last year and got burned. As long as you get the right guys it works. Last year i had A. Johnson, Calvin Johnson, D. Bowe and K. Warner. I suffered as my RB's were Lynch, McFadden and J. Charles. Of course I dropped him 2 weeks before he started ripping away. I have the #6 spot (want to trade out) and although WR/WR looks like the ticket I am scared to do it this year as my picks at RB have sucked the past 2 years.

Looks like the first six picks in drafts are faiirly consistent. It's the 7th pick when things get interesting. Not a bad draft.

The only thing I don't like about waiting on RBs to that degree is that it's so much harder to find a hidden gem during the season. Some unknown RB comes out of no where in week 7 and everyone wants him. But I agree, after the middle of the 1st round, sll the exciting backs are gone.

Edited by MikesVikes

Actually, I like this draft, with the exception of the Spiller pick. Bush and Portis are going to prove out to be incredible value picks IMO. I think you are darned lucky to have Bush and Portis fall like that. I like both better than Spiller. Getting Schaub so late was a gift from the FF gods. I like it.

Spiller is a guy that I would be very patient with if he was on my roster. He might do alright at some point.

2V

I was surprised to see who made this post and also interested in how you did because I hold the 6th overall pick in a Sept.6th local.

wr-wr-wr has crossed my mind but the key is you were able to snag Schaub and Gates for a chance at huge top-end scoring. All your RBs have to do is do something. Anything.

btw why is Steve Smith (nyg) getting no love?

Spiller is a guy that I would be very patient with if he was on my roster. He might do alright at some point.

It does help that this league has large rosters so I can stash five or six backs and hope some pan out. I opted for Spiller at that point right after Jackson and Lynch went down; I figured Spiller would already be the third down back in Buffalo and Chan Gailey would start getting him more touches sooner rather than later. And with Jackson now out until at least the start of the regular season, Spiller could have a chance to lock up the majority of the touches.

I was surprised to see who made this post and also interested in how you did because I hold the 6th overall pick in a Sept.6th local.

wr-wr-wr has crossed my mind but the key is you were able to snag Schaub and Gates for a chance at huge top-end scoring. All your RBs have to do is do something. Anything.

btw why is Steve Smith (nyg) getting no love?

From what I've seen in mock and real drafts, people seem to be infatuated with Hakeem Nicks as the breakout guy in New York. It's possible that Smith and Nicks could develop into a Toomer and Burress type of tandem, though in my opinion Smith has more upside than Toomer (and Nicks hasn't shot himself in the leg). I see the 107 catches from last year and the way the Giants are moving away from being run-oriented and figure Smith is a safe, solid pick—especially in a PPR league.

2V

• 2 weeks later...

I went wr/wr/wr in my draft last weekend. I will say that it was a very weird feeling i had coming out to the draft. I drafted in the 12 spot of a 12 team league.

I went Wanye/Moss/ S Smith (NYG)

Its a ppr league and i start 2 wrs with a flex position. I think those three will be killer but I am not used to not having a solid rb1. Here are my rbs i ended up with

McCoy

Spiller

Hightower

L Washington

Snelling

Higgins

I did you one better last night in a high stakes $500 entry fee draft.

I took my 1st RB at pick 83 (7.11)

Yes folks that is correct my 1st RB in a $500 entry free league at the end of the 7th round.

I went

WR-WR-TE-TE-QB-WR

Will I live to tell about it ? Time will only tell.