[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Vincent Jackson talking contract with Seahawks

chipsjake

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If the Bolts approve of the deal, the Chargers will end up getting some pretty high draft picks in trade. Troubled Brandon Marshall fetched 2 second round picks from Miami, so that's probably the barometer. Seattle should be drafting pretty early in each round. And it probably saves paying out a $45mil contract in the process.

Cool with me.

Rivers spreads the ball around so much that I don't think the loss of VJ is all that damaging. Now... if he only had eyes for a certain WR like some other QBs do, I would worry.

If the Bolts approve of the deal, the Chargers will end up getting some pretty high draft picks in trade. Troubled Brandon Marshall fetched 2 second round picks from Miami, so that's probably the barometer. Seattle should be drafting pretty early in each round. And it probably saves paying out a $45mil contract in the process.

Cool with me.

Rivers spreads the ball around so much that I don't think the loss of VJ is all that damaging. Now... if he only had eyes for a certain WR like some other QBs do, I would worry.

The Santonio Holmes deal has to figure in that barometer somewhere.

The Hawks were the team rumored to be the lead dog to get Marshall and have drafted Golden Tate since the Marshall deal. Deon Butler and Mike Williams are having impressive training camps. If the Hawks wouldn't give up the price for Marshall then it doesn't make much sense doing it now for Vjax and his 3-game suspension.

ETA: Kevin Acee of the SD Union Tribune is saying the asking price is a 2nd rounder: http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/2010/au..._medium=twitter

Edited by bushwacked

The Holmes deal was because the Steelers wanted him gone at any cost. The Marshall deal was because the Broncos wanted proper trade value. I put the Chargers in the Marshall category.

Just a single 2nd round pick and save $50mil? Still not bad.

Edited by Riffraff

It sounds like they are asking for 30 mil guaranteed, and like every big contract it would probably front loaded a ton for the first season (with no salary cap in place). :wacko:

Are SD fans really excited about a 2nd round pick next year for a team that should be contending for a championship this season?

Edited by bushwacked

Don't get me wrong. I'd prefer a championship run with VJ and then settle for a 3rd/4th compensatory pick as he leaves for free agency. But if it's no VJ either way (either by him not playing or by trading him away), I guess I like the idea of getting a pretty high draft pick for nothing.

The Holmes deal was because the Steelers wanted him gone at any cost. The Marshall deal was because the Broncos wanted proper trade value. I put the Chargers in the Marshall category.

At the same time, Jackson is looking at a suspension, where as Marshall was not.

Are SD fans really excited about a 2nd round pick next year for a team that should be contending for a championship this season?

I wouldn't say "excited" really describes it. Everyone I talk to here thinks Jackson isn't coming brack. If the team can get a draft pick for him so much the better.

I wouldn't say "excited" really describes it. Everyone I talk to here thinks Jackson isn't coming brack. If the team can get a draft pick for him so much the better.

Just another example in a long history of San Diego sports teams not paying there high end players in the midst of a championship run. The Padres are almost a joke concerning this but AJ Smith is really starting to alienate ALOT of Charger fans.

Just another example in a long history of San Diego sports teams not paying there high end players in the midst of a championship run. The Padres are almost a joke concerning this but AJ Smith is really starting to alienate ALOT of Charger fans.

If the Chargers give us Vjax for a 2nd round pick next year, I'm more than fine with that.

I don't think the Chargers D is good enough to make a championship run.

Would the Padres please give their bullpen to the Reds? Oh, and those cool camo uni's, too.

I don't think the Chargers D is good enough to make a championship run.

Romo may disagree after tonight...

OXNARD, Calif. -- On the opening drive of its preseason game last week, the Dallas Cowboys' offensive line missed enough blocks to have Tony Romo sacked three times by the Oakland Raiders.

Now the Cowboys are about to face a San Diego Chargers defense that just blitzed so often and so well that the Chicago Bears pulled starter Jay Cutler earlier than they'd planned. And the Cowboys will play the Chargers on Saturday night with two backups starting on the offensive line.

"I stayed up all night and worried about Romo," Cowboys coach Wade Phillips said. "But I think he'll be all right playing behind a makeshift offensive line."

Phillips was being sarcastic. Very.

He said Friday that he expects to use his starters for "pretty close to a half" against the Chargers. That includes Montrae Holland at left guard and newbie Robert Brewster at right tackle.

And Romo at quarterback.

"Romo needs to get ready to play," Phillips said. "He doesn't need to sit out the whole preseason. Neither one of those (starting linemen) is going to be back in the preseason, so the theory of don't put him in there because those two guys are gone, well, then he doesn't play. He just sits out. That's the silly part to me."

Kyle Kosier and Marc Colombo were lost to knee injuries this week. Colombo had arthroscopic surgery and is expected back within two weeks, certainly by the season opener. Kosier doesn't need surgery but could miss up to the first three games.

With neither starter back this preseason, Dallas has little choice but to plug in the replacements and hope for the best. The Cowboys certainly need the work. They haven't scored a touchdown in either of their preseason games. The starters have played just 32 snaps, mounting several good drives but failing to finish them.

Of course, there's a fine line between the benefit of live action and the risk of losing Romo to injury, so the Cowboys will take precautions. Romo will have fewer seven-step drops, more handoffs and an extra tight end or fullback helping Brewster on the right side when they do pass. Sure, that means they won't have a true test of their offense, but they weren't planning to dig deep into the playbook anyway.

Phillips said how long the starters play will depend on how they're doing. The better they play, the quicker they can have the night off. Romo's health will be considered, too, if the Chargers are easily finding their way to him.

The Cowboys have allowed 11 sacks this preseason. Holland hasn't played because of a hamstring, but he should be OK, considering he has made 48 career starts and played 74 games. Brewster essentially is a rookie after missing last season, his first, because of injury.

Rookie linebacker Sean Lee and rookie safety Akwasi Owusu-Ansah are expected to make their preseason debuts. Owusu-Ansah also will be the primary returner on punts and kickoffs.

"I think it'll be important to see both of them," Phillips said.

Tight end Martellus Bennett also is expected to play for the first time this summer.

Copyright 2010 by The Associated Press

And the VJ suspension is now 6 games. 3 by the NFL, 3 by the Chargers.

Jackson and McNeill were officially placed on the roster exempt list Friday night -- both players received letters last week notifying them of the action -- which invokes a three-game suspension to be served after the player signs. If Jackson is traded, he would still serve the suspension with his new team.

that seems stupid. How would that help them trade him?

I guess VJ should have thought of that too. He got the letter last week and knew when the deadline was. But VJ was holding out on signing a contract with the Seahawks because he wants more $$$ than Marshall got.

Cool with me.

+1

If the Chargers give us Vjax for a 2nd round pick next year, I'm more than fine with that.

The three games extra imposed by the Chargers can be removed by the Seahawks too. That is a team, not a league decision.

I think the price will be a little higher than one 2nd rounder. I'm not sure he's worth it, just sayin'