[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Vincent Jackson talking contract with Seahawks

chipsjake

This article states the team suspension will coincide the NFL suspension

I guess VJ should have thought of that too.

Why? VJ is eventually going to get paid by somebody. The Charger organization is mucking this up pretty bad. They almost certainly would have gotten something close to Marshall value if they traded Vjax months ago; now it appears they are willing to settle for 1/2 of what Marshall went for.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Seattle seems to be balking at the price

AJ allowed only the Seahawks to negotiate with him what's his plan?

Jackson's price too high for Seahawks

BY KEVIN ACEE, UNION-TRIBUNE

On the day that Vincent Jackson and Marcus McNeill let pass another deadline set by the Chargers, word broke that Jackson could be closer to freedom.

Or not.

The Chargers granted permission to the Seattle Seahawks to speak with their disgruntled Pro Bowl receiver, but those talks have hit a wall.

According to league sources, the Seahawks have balked at the price set by Jackson’s agents, who are asking for $30 million guaranteed on a five-year, $50 million contract. Based on the average per year, that would rank Jackson among the four highest-paid receivers in the league.

Meanwhile, as of Friday night, Jackson and McNeill are now on the Roster Exempt List. That means they will miss at least the season opener, a distinction that is almost certainly moot based on the belief the pair is prepared to sit out most, if not all, of the season.

The Seahawks’ interest has long been known, and the team confirmed to Yahoo! Sports on Friday that it has spoken to Jackson’s agents. Those discussions began at least several days ago, according to one source.

The same sources said the asking price from the Chargers is a second-round draft pick, which is not believed to be an issue at this point.

At least three other teams have expressed interest in Jackson, though Seattle is the only one to get permission from the Chargers to formally negotiate with agents Neil Schwartz and Jonathan Feinsod.

Smith expressed on Friday what has become his customary disinterest in players staying away from the team.

"As I've said before, I'm not going to talk about Vincent Jackson," Smith said. "We have all moved on. If he decides to return to the team, I would certainly talk about him. If we should have any developments regarding his future status with the team, we'll let you know."

Jackson and left tackle Marcus McNeill have not signed their one-year tenders -- $3.268 million for Jackson and $3.168 million for McNeill. The players want long-term deals and are not willing to risk injury while playing on one-year deals.

McNeill met with Chargers general manager A.J. Smith on Wednesday, but the sides remain entrenched in their positions. The Chargers have expressed to McNeill their intention to keep him long-term but that they are not willing to give a big deal right now.

The Chargers made it known this summer they would listen to trade offers for Jackson. Facing a three-game suspension from the NFL for his two DUI arrests since 2006 and also having been cited for driving on a suspended license in January, he is not in the team’s long-term plans.

The Chargers also allowed linebacker Shawne Merriman's former agent to negotiate with teams this spring. A deal that would have sent Merriman to the New Orleans Saints was ultimately squelched because the asking price for a new contract was too high, sources have confirmed.

A player on the Roster Exempt list cannot play until the fourth game after the date he signs. The final two preseason games count, meaning McNeill as of now is only officially out of the season opener.

Jackson would still need to sit out three regular-season games, regardless of whether he is traded. As for his pending suspension, if Jackson were to sign his tender by Sept. 4, the three games he has to miss because of his Roster Exempt status would be served concurrently with his suspension.

Edited by Randall

AJ hedged his bets: If VJ doesn't get traded, he will have to sign/report in week 7 instead of week 10 to get credit for the year. Wouldn't play until week 10 either way, but he will have to practice 3 weeks earlier now. Unpaid weeks of practice at that.

But read elsewhere that maybe he doesn't need the 6 games to get credit for the year. :wacko:

Edited by Riffraff

Just another example in a long history of San Diego sports teams not paying there high end players

I have to disagree with you a little here. Don't forget that Rivers and Gates got long-term contracts. Jackson wants hugh bucks. I don't blame A.J. for balking at that.

If VJ was just willing to wait his turn in the contract pecking order, this could have all been avoided. He was slated to be after Gates and McNeil, but before Merriman. Gates got done. McNeil's was attempted this week to no avail. Merriman at least signed his tender as he figured out where he was in the pecking order.

Edited by Riffraff

If VJ was just willing to wait his turn in the contract pecking order, this could have all been avoided. He was slated to be after Gates and McNeil, but before Merriman. Gates got done. McNeil's was attempted this week to no avail. Merriman at least signed his tender as he figured out where he was in the pecking order.

Good point.

Can the Seahawks stop throwing money at the WR position already?? Between Burleson, Branch and Housh, they've blown $125+ million dollars trying to fix their WR position. Can't the Hawks just try to develop their own talent already? It isn't like they are a contender. IF Williams, Tate and Butler can play (big if, I know), you have a receiving corps for about 2 million per season, rather than 25. It is at least worth a shot. I just can't imagine paying Jackson, Housh and Branch all at the same time while you've got these upside kids standing on the sideline and watching.

:wacko:

Well, I think he is going for the over dramatic factor here in counting substantial amounts of contract monies that were never paid out.

Burleson is gone, Branch might be on another team before the start of the season, and Housh has 2 years left of guaranteed money. I'm not sure what a former GM did at the WR position would effect moving forward. Same with not signing an impact player to a long-term contract because we aren't currently a contender,

It's rather simple, would you rather have Vincent Jackson or an early to mid 2011 2nd round pick. It's quite obvious to me.

According to league sources, the Seahawks have balked at the price set by Jackson’s agents, who are asking for $30 million guaranteed on a five-year, $50 million contract. Based on the average per year, that would rank Jackson among the four highest-paid receivers in the league.

I don't think he's close to being a top 4 WR. I think he's in the Greg Jennings tier... A very good player on a very good team. I don't think he's elite... IE Fitz, Moss, Andre, Wayne and the like.

I have to disagree with you a little here. Don't forget that Rivers and Gates got long-term contracts. Jackson wants hugh bucks. I don't blame A.J. for balking at that.

I actually have a lot of respect for AJ, and his unwillingness to be pushed around by players.

I hope for Jackson, that he doesn't get traded and he doesn't get a deal. He will then be forced to report by week 10 OR he will be considered a restricted free agent next year and the same issues will arise. The Chargers definitely have more power here and VJax is screwing his chances at the payday he thinks he will get. Suspension issues, personal issues and now issues with 3 million per year???? I hope the NFL black lists him.... I'm sure the Iowa Barnstormers Arena Football League team is looking for a good recieiver to play for $500 per week!!

:wacko:

From I've been reading a 2nd rounder and Deion Branch seems entirely plausible.

I guess the irony would be the coin that Branch is getting compared to VJ. Can't see the Chargers wanting to assume the payments on a guy that is lucky to play a full season.

9/12/2006: Signed a six-year, $39 million contract. The deal includes $13 million guaranteed. 2010: $5.47 million, 2011: $5.95 million, 2012: Free Agent
Edited by Riffraff

I guess the irony would be the coin that Branch is getting compared to VJ. Can't see the Chargers wanting to assume the payments on a guy that is lucky to play a full season.

Agreed. I can't see the Bolts wanting Branch.

Who would want Branch? It's not a matter of striking a great trade at this point, it's a matter of dumping a guy who won't sign. Branch provides a roster spot.

A.J. won't want someone who just provides a roster spot.

This is all a moot point anyway if the Seahawks can't sign Jackson to a multi-year deal.

If Jackson doesn't get traded to another team and is forced to sign the insulting tender and then report in week 7 or 10... how much do you want to bet that he will be sidelined with a pulled hamstring for the rest of the season?

If Jackson doesn't get traded to another team and is forced to sign the insulting tender and then report in week 7 or 10... how much do you want to bet that he will be sidelined with a pulled hamstring for the rest of the season?

He would need the team owned doctors to play along with the shammy hammy. If not, the Chargers could suspend him again for "conduct detrimental to the team." Probably alienates some potential employer GMs. But.. all he needs is one to like him.