[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Arian Foster: what am I missing?

vansmack32

Now Slaton is going to get a chance to return kicks.

Huddle and others have Foster somewhere around #23 RB.

If this guy is going to be the workhorse in a prolific offense in which Slaton scored 10 TDs in '08 as a rookie, why shouldn't Foster be in the discussion with guys like Ced Benson, Shonn Greene, Addai, P Thomas? I know the last couple of games last year is a small sample, but he should get a bunch of opportunities.

What am I missing?

Well the only thing I'd guess for that is because Foster really isn't that talented (or else he would have been ahead of a late 2nd-rounder), he's in a pass-happy offense that throws to Andre Johnson/Owen Daniels in the RZ all the time, and Slaton still has talent. If Foster has early troubles or Slaton comes along nicely, Slaton could be the starter (I just traded for Slaton, could be a huge return).

Well the only thing I'd guess for that is because Foster really isn't that talented (or else he would have been ahead of a late 2nd-rounder), he's in a pass-happy offense that throws to Andre Johnson/Owen Daniels in the RZ all the time, and Slaton still has talent. If Foster has early troubles or Slaton comes along nicely, Slaton could be the starter (I just traded for Slaton, could be a huge return).

Hate to burst your bubble, but Slaton is now projected to handle K/O returns. Arian Foster is entrenched as the featured back and there is nothing Slaton can/will do to change that. And forget Tate...he's injured..gone..bye bye. He has no barring on this year. The fact there is nobody to vulture TD's, no change of pace back (unless you count Slaton) and he is a pass catching RB, yeah his stock is rising and rising fast.

Oh and thanks for this post. I have 1 more freaken pick in a draft where the majority of owners are very board active. :wacko:

Hate to burst your bubble, but Slaton is now projected to handle K/O returns. Arian Foster is entrenched as the featured back and there is nothing Slaton can/will do to change that. And forget Tate...he's injured..gone..bye bye. He has no barring on this year. The fact there is nobody to vulture TD's, no change of pace back (unless you count Slaton) and he is a pass catching RB, yeah his stock is rising and rising fast.

Oh and thanks for this post. I have 1 more freaken pick in a draft where the majority of owners are very board active. :wacko:

Haha nice. No I agree, I'm just trying to find anything why Foster wouldn't be a solid RB2 this year. Slaton will get SOME carries, and if Foster struggles, I'm sure Slaton could get a few carries here and there. You never know, Slaton was the featured back last year and had one of the bigger disappointment seasons in a while

Maybe Foster isn't that talented, but if he's the lead sled dog without any vultures in place, I could make an argument for his being a low-end RB1 as long he has the job (meaning he doesn't fumble it away).

And if the "TH Rankings" are The Huddle rankings, he's current ranked #23 RB. Way too low IMO.

Now Slaton is going to get a chance to return kicks.

Huddle and others have Foster somewhere around #23 RB.

If this guy is going to be the workhorse in a prolific offense in which Slaton scored 10 TDs in '08 as a rookie, why shouldn't Foster be in the discussion with guys like Ced Benson, Shonn Greene, Addai, P Thomas? I know the last couple of games last year is a small sample, but he should get a bunch of opportunities.

What am I missing?

If you break down his games last year it comes to 1700 yards running and receiving or a little over 1300 ards rushing. That isn't great but could be built on.

Where was Ray Rice last year? I got him in the 7th of a 16 team redraft-about the same as Foster this year. He probably won't turn in Rice numbers but rankings are usually conservative (except may for William Green :wacko: ).

In 3 games last year he had 52 carries for 250 and 3 TD's and 7 receptions for 80 yards. Over 16 games that is 1333 yards and 16 TD's and 426 yards. He won't get that many TD's but 1700 combined would be nice. :tup:

I don't agree with Taz on Slaton though. What he can do is stop fumbling when he gets another chance and he will get one at some point.

Taz you need to project beyond the present.

Uh oh TOS just took Foster right in front of Taz.(in the 4th round).

Edited by Randall

Foster is worth a shot for sure as RB2 and if available i would take a flier on him especially in PPR league

with that said Texans are a passing team first and 2nd and i cant see that many rushing td's unless foster breaks long runs

I think there will be a lot of rushing TDs for Foster. Remember last year the reason he started playing was that HOU couldnt punch it in from short yardage, they went through Chris Brown and Slaton's crap before letting Foster do the work at the stripe. Foster is my RB1, I think the guy is going to be a workhorse.

I think there will be a lot of rushing TDs for Foster. Remember last year the reason he started playing was that HOU couldnt punch it in from short yardage, they went through Chris Brown and Slaton's crap before letting Foster do the work at the stripe. Foster is my RB1, I think the guy is going to be a workhorse.

The team loved him last year and many wanted him to keep the job. They blocked better when he was in the game.

:wacko:

I wouldn't go that far. Foster is a legit #2 but worth more than R.Rice? :tup: HARDLY

He's talking TD's only so McGahee could vulture those scores.

Last year McGahee had 14 TD's Rice 8.

Foster had 3 TD's in the 3 games he had over 13 carries last season.

Edited by Randall

This would my explanation as well. I don't know about Slaton starting after the precedent he has set with the fumbleitis but he's certainly way too talented and dangerous a weapon to keep on the sideline.

I'm in a TD-only league, so I see this guy as potential RB1 material and worth more than Rice.

man, I loath TD-only leagues.

I was very lucky to be able to win the bid on Foster in one of my local auction redrafts this year. PPR league, so I went heavy WRs to go along with Ray Rice. Wasn't really thrilled with my RBs behind Rice, but was also pretty sure I was the only one with keen knowledge of Foster considering Tate went for $13, Slaton $11, Foster $1...

I could make an argument for his being a low-end RB1 as long he has the job

You'd lose that argument. Lot of hype for a guy highly unproven. PS I like him a lot, but no way is he my RB1 unless I'm in some incredibly big league.

I'm in a TD-only league,

Wow. They still exist?

This would my explanation as well. I don't know about Slaton starting after the precedent he has set with the fumbleitis but he's certainly way too talented and dangerous a weapon to keep on the sideline.

He had a very good junior year at Tennessee but was hurt his senior year. Seems a good one cut runner.

In 2007 he had a 4.9 average and 1193 yards and 12 TD's.

He had 340 yards receiving and 2 TD's.

This was his pre draft report

Analysis

Positives: Athletic build with room for additional mass. Long arms. At least adequate straight-line speed to challenge over the top. Good agility. Flashes the foot quickness and balance to be an effective route-runner. Generally reliable hands. Can extend outside of his frame and pluck the ball out of the air. Catches and quickly turns upfield for positive yardage. Good strength to run through arm tackles in the open field.

Negatives: Isn't the sum of his parts. Lacks elite top-end speed to challenge deep and the explosiveness out of his breaks to consistently gain separation. Inconsistent hands. Allows too many balls into his chest, resulting in some ugly drops. Struggled with a knee injury late in the year and had to leave the Senior Bowl practices early as the pain flared up again. Knee requires a medical check.

I have him and Caddy fighting for my flex spot. Foster Def has the potential and opportunity to be a #1, BUT he is still unproven. What will he look like in week 10+ as his body takes a beating? He played two full games last year. To me he is very much like Matthews and Best, but those two seem much sexier b/c of where they were Drafted

Foster is one of those guys you draft because you went heavy on WRs early and he has a reasonable shot to be a RB2 "IF" things go well. He is far from a sure thing so don't get blinded by the hype of a few games as he could definitely play like a RB3. Foster's average (non-huddler) draft spot is mid 7th round. He is great value for that spot but my guess is you'll have to use an earlier pick if you want him on your team and your draft is in the next week or two. I'll probably go WR heavy if the right people are there in my draft this sunday and look at Foster in the 5th/6th round to add as a RB2. I could find someone I like better in the 3rd or 4th if I was looking for a RB.