[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Help With Draft Strategy

House15

This will be my first go around with Fantasy Football, and am looking for some draft tips for the following points system. Any advce from you vets would be appreciated. (It's a flex league, and I don't yet know my draft position)

Passing TDs 4 points each

Passing Yards .04 points for every one yard

Passing 2 Pointers 2 points each

Rushing TDs 6 points each

Rushing Yards .1 point for every one yard

Rushing 2 Pointers 2 points each

Receiving TDs 6 points each

Receiving Yards .1 point for every one yard

Receptions 1 point for every 1

Receiving 2 Pointers 2 points each

Length of Field Goal Made 0-39 = 3 points each

Length of Field Goal Made 40-49 = 4 points each

Length of Field Goal Made 50-59 = 5 points each

Length of Field Goal Made 60+ yds = 6 points each

Extra Point 1 point each

Interceptions Caught 1 point each

Sacked a QB 1 point each

Safeties 2 points each

Total Points Allowed 0-2 pts = 6 points

Total Points Allowed 3-13 pts = 3 points

Defensive & Special Teams TDs 6 points each

Thanx

can't give you a strategy without your position, but I'd recommend not getting a QB earlier than the 5 or 6th round. Guys like Eli Manning and Ben Roethlisberger are more than servicable. RB/WR wise, just pick who the best available is.

Also no Kicker/Defense until your last 2 picks.

This will be my first go around with Fantasy Football, and am looking for some draft tips for the following points system. Any advce from you vets would be appreciated. (It's a flex league, and I don't yet know my draft position)

Passing TDs 4 points each

Passing Yards .04 points for every one yard

Passing 2 Pointers 2 points each

Rushing TDs 6 points each

Rushing Yards .1 point for every one yard

Rushing 2 Pointers 2 points each

Receiving TDs 6 points each

Receiving Yards .1 point for every one yard

Receptions 1 point for every 1

Receiving 2 Pointers 2 points each

Length of Field Goal Made 0-39 = 3 points each

Length of Field Goal Made 40-49 = 4 points each

Length of Field Goal Made 50-59 = 5 points each

Length of Field Goal Made 60+ yds = 6 points each

Extra Point 1 point each

Interceptions Caught 1 point each

Sacked a QB 1 point each

Safeties 2 points each

Total Points Allowed 0-2 pts = 6 points

Total Points Allowed 3-13 pts = 3 points

Defensive & Special Teams TDs 6 points each

Thanx

You're in a PPR league (point-per-reception). The worst spot tp be drafting in is the middle of the pack (i.e. pick 6 or 7 in a 10 or 12 team league). Obviously the best spot to be would be #1, then #2, and then in my opinion second to last or the last pick of the first round is nte next best spot(s) to be in. Not that you have any control over that..

If you have one of the top 4 picks, well then it's a no brainer regardless of who you take. Most drafts Chris Johnson will go #1 overall, AP will go #2, MJD/Ray Rice #3, and then the other MJD/Ray Rice will go #4. Pick #5 is where you're starting to flip a coin - based on what you want. Most people will tell you to go with a solid stud RB still (a la Frank Gore) but the guy in our league (PPR league) took Andre Johnson #5. Outside of the top 4 or 5 RBs in a PPR league, most WRs have just as much if not more value than a RB who's splitting carries with someone else - and in today's NFL, that's about 25 of the teams..

These past 3 or 4 years, I've ALWAYS found success in taking top tier WRs early usually 1st and 2nd rounds (except last year I had the #1 overall pick and took the no brainer in AP - but followed that up with a WR in the 2nd, 3rd and 4th), followed up with a decent RB in the 3rd, and then either a #3 WR or a #2 RB in the 5th round. With your QB's only getting 4 pts per TD, there's not as much emphasis on that position, and you can still find a good/solid QB in the 6th or 7th.

So, if you're one of the top 4 picks, I'd go RB/WR/WR with the first 3 picks. If you're pick 5 on, I'd personally go WR/WR/RB. After that, it really doesn't matter how you think you're going to do, or try to stick to a strategy cause usually people will surprise you with their picks and/or start reaching for players - or taking a player earlier than he should and by the 4th round, you'll already start to come across some players who are available when it's your pick - usually players who shouldn't still be on the board..

One more piece of advice - something else you can REALLY benefit from - and it will take some work on your part unless you guys have a "draft board" is to watch what the guys 2 picks in front of you and 2 picks behind you do. If you're in the 6th round and you're dead set on a QB that you really want, look to see if the guys around you need a QB. If there are already 6 or 7 teams with a QB taken, and only 3 more who need a QB, well then don't reach for a QB in that round. Take another RB or WR, or even a TE rather than that QB as more than likely, you'll be able to get him in the next round as most everyone already has that position filled. It doesn't necessairly have to be the QB position, it can be any position. All I'm saying is to pay attention to what the other managers have and what they need. More times than not, you'll benefit by taking a higher ranked player at a different position and still get your guy in the next round.

My last piece of advice.. DO NOT TAKE A KICKER OR A DEFENSE until you're down to your last 2 or 3 picks. I see it every single year. There's always that one guy who takes Gostkowski in the 6th or 7th round, or the Vikings defense in the 5th or 6th round. It's such a waste of a pick - and you can do much better by getting a backup at another position, or filling out your roster with a better position player.

I'm sure other people will tell you differently based on their previous successes, but this will be my 10th year playing fantasy football, with it being my 7th in a PPR league. The last 4 years I've always gone WR heavy early, and every year I make the playoff's. 2 of the last 4 seasons I've won my main $$ league sticking with this strategy, and 1 year I made the championship game but fell 3 points short of winning..

Good Luck!!

So, if you're one of the top 4 picks, I'd go RB/WR/WR with the first 3 picks. If you're pick 5 on, I'd personally go WR/WR/RB. After that, it really doesn't matter how you think you're going to do, or try to stick to a strategy cause usually people will surprise you with their picks and/or start reaching for players - or taking a player earlier than he should and by the 4th round, you'll already start to come across some players who are available when it's your pick - usually players who shouldn't still be on the board..

This is exactly what I did. My league has the exact same scoring except no PPR. We play QB/2RB/3WR/TE/K/D. I drafted out of the 4th and went Rice, Johnson, Marshall, Stewart (not entirely thrilled here but was the best on my cheat sheet) and Bowe in the first 5 rounds. I ended up picking Flacco in the 6th but only because 2 of the 3 people drafting after me still needed QBs and I was worried he wouldn't still be there on the turn, otherwise I would have picked up another back. I think it turned out OK, although I'm not sold on my RBs other than Rice.

Edited by fantasyfemme

I have the stinking fifth pick that some on this thread are talking about...I'm thinking AJ, Gore or Turner. The 2 RB's aren't in a RBBC system that I am aware of like pretty much all others in 2nd round and later will be.

You can go into the draft with a plan to go RB/WR/WR or whatever....but you shouldnt feel you have to stick to it depending on who is taken in front of you. If in the 2nd round, let's say, there was a good run of WR's just taken and a good RB falls to you....take him if he is better value than the next WR and pick up the WR next round. Don't worry to much about bye weeks either...take best player and if you end up with a chunk of the same bye week take the loss that week and move on with a solid team

These past 3 or 4 years, I've ALWAYS found success in taking top tier WRs early usually 1st and 2nd rounds (except last year I had the #1 overall pick and took the no brainer in AP - but followed that up with a WR in the 2nd, 3rd and 4th), followed up with a decent RB in the 3rd, and then either a #3 WR or a #2 RB in the 5th round.

:wacko:

You can go into the draft with a plan to go RB/WR/WR or whatever....but you shouldnt feel you have to stick to it depending on who is taken in front of you. If in the 2nd round, let's say, there was a good run of WR's just taken and a good RB falls to you....take him if he is better value than the next WR and pick up the WR next round.

good info here. welcome to the Huddle

As I said, not everyone will agree. Everyone has their own strategy and what works for them. Based on my past 4 seasons, taking WR's early and often has paid off.

I could have said something stupid like "Take the player that will score you the most points".

Edited by Shorttynaz