[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Draft preparedness...

RakeFighter

It happens every year...some owner drafts a guy that either recently became a free agent, or suffered a season-ending injury in a preseason game. Then there's THAT GUY that speaks up with the whole "you DO know that Player X is hurt right?" spiel. So I ask you, on which side do you find yourself?

A: It's good sportsmanship to advise a fellow owner about a player's status; it keeps the league competitive and insures a valid roster for the ill-informed drafter.

or

B: Screw that guy. I've studied my ass off watching preseason games and scouring the 'net for player news and health updates. If he'd have done his homework, he'd know that Player X was out for the year.

Just curious.

If it's a money league I'm not helping anybody, I want to win the money and by him drafting that player it helps me chances. In a league for fun I'd tell him as it means nothing.

Good point; I should have specified that I was talking about money leagues.

Silently thank him for his donation to the prize pool and forge ahead. He wasn't going to win without divine intervention anyway.

Always B for me. I'm of the stance that part of my draft strategy is not helping anyone out. Listen, we're all big boys (and girls) and if you want help out go ask your momma.

If you're not prepared then that just helps me out.

+1

It's not our fault that they didn't prepare & just want to throw their money away.

It depends on what the owners want.

Is your league compromised of friends that use FF as a means to get together and have fun? If so, you probably want to point out that someone just drafted a guy that blew out his knee and is done for the season. That's about it. If someone drafts a free agent, or an injured guy that's expected back in a few weeks, he has to live with it. You probably want to do the same thing with a casual league. Personally, as long as the parameters are established, I don't have a problem with this.

If you're in a hardcore league, you may not want to do it. Of course, if its hardcore, nobody is going to make that mistake.

As far as the money thing goes, unless you're talking about big money (like a $500 entry fee) it doesn't enter the equation. Except in rare circumstances, you shouldn't be playing in a free league anyway.

I think that the most important thing is to establish the protocol in advance of the draft.

+1

It's not our fault that they didn't prepare & just want to throw their money away.

We have an owner that shows up every year totally unprepared and late too boot. He expects all the materials to be there for him when he gets there. When he showed up for today's draft (empty-handed as usual) and found out there were no cheat sheets available he asked, "How am I supposed to draft without them?". You can only imagine the surge of confidence that ran through me knowing that I was the 11th pick and he was the 12th.

We have an owner that shows up every year totally unprepared and late too boot. He expects all the materials to be there for him when he gets there. When he showed up for today's draft (empty-handed as usual) and found out there were no cheat sheets available he asked, "How am I supposed to draft without them?". You can only imagine the surge of confidence that ran through me knowing that I was the 11th pick and he was the 12th.

how'd picks 11,12,13, and 14 end up then ?

We've had the same group of guys for 9+ years now, and we're all pretty much football nuts, so I have no sympathy whatsoever for the guy that drafts Marvin Harrison this year...the problem is that our commish is THAT GUY that advises the owner AFTER he's named his bum pick. Grinds my gears every year...

I take Randy Moss with the 11th Pick

He takes Steven Jackson with the 12th Pick

He takes Tom Brady with the 13th Pick

I take Michael Turner with the 14th Pick

I think it would be well after this point where the real idiocies occurred.

I see the same thing every year. I know it's hard to take 5-10 minutes out of your day & find a website to print out some of those "free" cheetsheats.

I think it would be well after this point where the real idiocies occurred.

Nope. The Idiocy started early. With his 3rd round pick he took Sidney Rice. DOH!

6th round takes Marion Barber with Matt Forte, Ahmad Bradshow, Michael Bush, and CJ Spiller still on the board.

Edited by tosberg34

I see the same thing every year. I know it's hard to take 5-10 minutes out of your day & find a website to print out some of those "free" cheetsheats.

and take a few minutes everyday to check the headlines and see if any players suffered significant injury

If Mr. Unprepared is in my division, I don't mind if someone points out the injury. Here's my reasoning. The guy has already shown he has no clue, so most of his draft will reflect that anyways. This guy has to play my other division mates twice. I need him to field a semi-competitive team against those guys. When he plays me, I know I'm prepared, and I know he has no chance barring luck, so what I need from him is to draft a 5-8 type team that might elevate me to first place; all he needs to do is beat a few division mates along the way.

If you don't use divisions well it's a free-for-all and I wouldn't say anything other than to mutter why we allow Mr. Unprepared to come back every year!

This stuff has happened in past leagues, and the commishes always give the ultimatum: show up prepared next year or you are gone.

It depends on what the owners want.

Is your league compromised of friends that use FF as a means to get together and have fun? If so, you probably want to point out that someone just drafted a guy that blew out his knee and is done for the season. That's about it. If someone drafts a free agent, or an injured guy that's expected back in a few weeks, he has to live with it. You probably want to do the same thing with a casual league. Personally, as long as the parameters are established, I don't have a problem with this.

This.