[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Any interesting local draft stories you'd like to share?

Randall

There was a guy in my draft this past Friday who had the 4th pick & refused to take Ray Rice because he's a Steelers fan. Can you believe he won the league last year? Another guy took 3 QBs with the same bye week. Sidney Rice was also drafted early.

This is the same draft that I was able to get J. Charles (4.01), P. Thomas (5.10), J. Best (8.01), F. Jones (10.01) & J. Forsett (13.10). I will admit most of the the league was "up in smoke". :wacko:

Edited by buddahj

I had my office league draft yesterday. The owner with the last pick in the draft order takes A. Rodgers to close out round 1 ... as his follow up pick to start round 2, he takes ... Drew Brees.

No, we do not start 2 QBs every week in this league. No, the scoring scheme is not QB heavy.

When questioned about this somewhat unorthodox strategy, the owner (he has been in the league maybe 3-4 years) responds that by taking the 2 top QBs off the board right away, he's making sure that none of the other teams have the chance at owning his 'spare' elite QB.

Edited by ts

I had my office league draft yesterday. The owner with the last pick in the draft order takes A. Rodgers to close out round 1 ... as his follow up pick to start round 2, he takes ... Drew Brees.

No, we do not start 2 QBs every week in this league. No, the scoring scheme is not QB heavy.

When questioned about this somewhat unorthodox strategy, the owner (he has been in the league maybe 3-4 years) responds that by taking the 2 top QBs off the board right away, he's making sure that none of the other teams have the chance at owning his 'spare' elite QB.

Please note that almost all of the owners in my league have been in it for at least 8-10 years.

-Aaron Rodgers was the 1.2 pick.

-Drew Brees was the 1.4 pick.

-Peyton Manning was the 1.8 pick.

-Ryan Mathews, Deangelo Williams, and Michael Turner (snatched up by me) fall to the 2nd round as a result.

- Jermichael Finley drafted with the 2.09 pick :lol:. When I asked the owner about why he drafted a TE early he said he wanted to prevent ME from getting him. :wacko: I told him that Finley was my 4th option at TE anyways and I ended up taking Antonio Gates with my 4.02 pick instead. Yeah, i felt crushed when he took Finley in the second :tup:

-Sidney Rice drafted with the 3.12 pick. This is the same owner who showed up late for the draft and complained that no one brought him cheat sheets to use in drafting (quote: "How am I supposed to draft without cheat sheets?"). :tup:

-Pierre Garcon selected with the 5.02 pick while Hakeem Nicks, Steve Smith (CAR), Dwayne Bowe, Donald Driver, Mike Sims-Walker and Mike Wallace still on the board.

Edited by tosberg34

Old one, but good! 1994.......we do the draft in a Hotel conference room........back when rosters lived on paper and pickups were called in.

Nothing really crazy from a drafting standpoint other than Shannon Sharp was taken 3 times....after he had already been drafted.

So my boy DVT grabs an 18 pack and a 5lb bag of peanut M & M's for the draft...not a good combo! Draft comes to a close as we compare teams everyone starts wondering where DVT is at. I open the bathroom door, and there he is, M & M's did not sit well with the 14+ beers and he has a case of the Roo's and has blown up all over the toilet......in addition, has puked all over the tub next to the toilet and wall in front of him. The room literally looks like a murder scene and you can only imagine the stench!

16 years later we continue to abuse him at every draft and there are always some M & M's to be found.

Please note that almost all of the owners in my league have been in it for at least 8-10 years.

-Aaron Rodgers was the 1.2 pick.

-Drew Brees was the 1.4 pick.

-Peyton Manning was the 1.8 pick.

-Ryan Mathews, Deangelo Williams, and Michael Turner (snatched up by me) fall to the 2nd round as a result.

- Jermichael Finley drafted with the 2.09 pick :lol:. When I asked the owner about why he drafted a TE early he said he wanted to prevent ME from getting him. :wacko: I told him that Finley was my 4th option at TE anyways and I ended up taking Antonio Gates with my 4.02 pick instead. Yeah, i felt crushed when he took Finley in the second :tup:

-Sidney Rice drafted with the 3.12 pick. This is the same owner who showed up late for the draft and complained that no one brought him cheat sheets to use in drafting (quote: "How am I supposed to draft without cheat sheets?"). :tup:

-Pierre Garcon selected with the 5.02 pick while Hakeem Nicks, Steve Smith (CAR), Dwayne Bowe, Donald Driver, Mike Sims-Walker and Mike Wallace still on the board.

That's not that outrageous to me. I have Garcon pretty high on my board and probably ahead of most of those guys you named (give or take a few).

Spin back to 1997 ... Miami drafts Yatil Green out of University of Miami with the 15th overall pick. First day of training camp Yatil blows up his knee. We have our draft sometime in August and one of owners drafts Yatil Green in the 6th round.

1998 ... Yatil Green tears the same ACL in training camp ... our owner drafts him AGAIN in the mid-rounds.

This particular owner is not with our league any more ... but as long as he was we NEVER failed to prompt him to draft Yatil Green when it was his turn to draft.

here are a few gems from the local league draft last night - 12 teams:

- Schaub goes at 1.12

- Sidney Rices goes at 5.12

- Ben Tate goes at 6.05

- the defending 2x champion takes three defenses (BUF, NYG, TEN)...we only start one w/ "standard" D scoring

alcohol is a great thing.

Our draft last night started out very interesting by a new guy in our local drafted Fitzgerald #2 overall. Then he drafted Cotchery in the 4th round. :wacko:

In my other league, somebody also drafted almost the entire Patriots roster (Brady - Rd. 1, Welker- Rd. 2, Mauroney - Rd 5, Gostkowski -Rd. 7, Faulk - Rd. 11, Pats D - Rd 15. The one Pat they didn't get was Moss whom I took at 2.01. :tup:

Mainly just QBs going crazy early. Like 8 QBs in the 1st three rounds. Value drops of quickly after the top 3 and then again after 4-7, so I think people scrambled for one of the top 7-8 options.

Pretty much knew the tendencies of the leagues going in, so I led the QB rushes instead of chased. And with all the lemmings following the rush, it let some nice players drop back around to me. Still was able to lock up strong starters, but wasn't forced to burn an early pick on a 2nd rate QB.

A guy in a league I'm in never prepares . In fact I think he bought a FF Magazine on the way to the draft. His 1st mistake was showing up. His 2nd mistake was trying to draft Vincent Jackson in the 3rd round and the Commish of the league wouldn't allow it. If I was the Commish I would have put him on his team. IMO If he doesn't come prepared let him draft his team and donate his money.

A guy in a league I'm in never prepares . In fact I think he bought a FF Magazine on the way to the draft. His 1st mistake was showing up. His 2nd mistake was trying to draft Vincent Jackson in the 3rd round and the Commish of the league wouldn't allow it. If I was the Commish I would have put him on his team. IMO If he doesn't come prepared let him draft his team and donate his money.

Im the commish in my league and earlier on a team drafted Hines Ward quickly followed by "Oh SH_T" but laughed it off....later a guy drafted the New York def...when asked which one he said Giants, then wanted to switch to Jets (obviously) but a couple people challenged it because he said Giants and said the Ward pick stuck after said.......he complained and blamed me even though others challenged it. I had to keep the pick as said.

Post-draft we're just looking over it all and commenting on some of the more interesting reaches, steals, etc, and an owner brings up Ryan Mathews, late second round not real shocking but the question that followed was a good one. "Who's that?"

Edited by BS Miscreant

Ryan Matthews went 3rd pick in ECB. :wacko:......THAT threw off the apple cart abit. :tup:

Other than that it was pretty calm this year. Bushwacked made it down from Bellingham...... Sky & the gang from Bremerton..... Digitaldan & the boys from Puyallup/Tacoma & our resident eastsider DO Jaded were all here today..... great to see them all. :tup:

Ryan Matthews went 3rd pick in ECB. :wacko:......THAT threw off the apple cart abit. :tup:

Other than that it was pretty calm this year. Bushwacked made it down from Bellingham...... Sky & the gang from Bremerton..... Digitaldan & the boys from Puyallup/Tacoma & our resident eastsider DO Jaded were all here today..... great to see them all. :lol:

Oh yeah....

Jahvid Best - 2.04

Steven Jackson - 2.07

:tup:

Today a guy took Rodgers at 1.8 (not a bad pick) but then takes Eli Manning in the 4th round.

Also today.....JAVON WALKER goes at 1.10 with only AJ off the board. Yes I do live in MN....

We have a winner!! :wacko:

Several years ago we had a newby draft a guy out of a movie. It was in the middle rounds and he was trying to come up with a receiver. He was scrambling for a name and his time was up so he announced that he would take Tidwell. As soon as everyone managed to stop laughing, the Commish changed his team name to "The Tidwells" on the spot.

My first draft in the late 90’s was set up by one of my friends. This was before FF was that big and there wasn’t much on the internet about it. None of us knew what to do, and in a non-mandatory TE TD only format I drafted 5 TE’s. One team drafted the Denver kicker with the 8th pick, and suffice it to say my friend won the league easily as the chum in the water was feasted upon.

My first draft in the late 90’s was set up by one of my friends. This was before FF was that big and there wasn’t much on the internet about it. None of us knew what to do, and in a non-mandatory TE TD only format I drafted 5 TE’s. One team drafted the Denver kicker with the 8th pick, and suffice it to say my friend won the league easily as the chum in the water was feasted upon.

Hi my name is Thews and I am a TE aholic.