[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Any interesting local draft stories you'd like to share?

Randall

Someone took Lendale White in the 4th round. Its nice to watch people draft from Magazines. They go up to the board with the Mag in hand and then pick someone who was good 3 or 4 years ago. I sit their with the Huddle sheets and just get steal after steal. It doesn't guarentee you a league championship but it def helps to draft a deep team.

Please note that almost all of the owners in my league have been in it for at least 8-10 years.

-Aaron Rodgers was the 1.2 pick.

-Drew Brees was the 1.4 pick.

-Peyton Manning was the 1.8 pick.

-Ryan Mathews, Deangelo Williams, and Michael Turner (snatched up by me) fall to the 2nd round as a result.

- Jermichael Finley drafted with the 2.09 pick :lol:. When I asked the owner about why he drafted a TE early he said he wanted to prevent ME from getting him. :wacko: I told him that Finley was my 4th option at TE anyways and I ended up taking Antonio Gates with my 4.02 pick instead. Yeah, i felt crushed when he took Finley in the second :tup:

-Sidney Rice drafted with the 3.12 pick. This is the same owner who showed up late for the draft and complained that no one brought him cheat sheets to use in drafting (quote: "How am I supposed to draft without cheat sheets?"). :tup:

-Pierre Garcon selected with the 5.02 pick while Hakeem Nicks, Steve Smith (CAR), Dwayne Bowe, Donald Driver, Mike Sims-Walker and Mike Wallace still on the board.

Yea, tosberg34 oh yea.

Daylight here, your Packers-Fan from Milwaukee and official (but friendly) nemesis.

What you describe is not *exactly* how it happened.

Brees at 1.4 (that was me) - Money in the Bank - other than possibly Rogers, no-one is more a sure thing in fantasy more than Drew - that's why I took him. Peyton also but he just looked rattled agains our Packers.

This is a 6 pt per TD for QBs league and a top tier QB makes a huge difference.

As for Finley - IMHO - the progression is solid and mouth-watering : Thompson-McCarthy-Rogers and now Finley: Money in the Bank.

I knew my Fellow Packers Homies would be after Finley and drafting in the 4th spot my only chance to get him was 2.8 or 3.4 - no way I am letting that slip through my fingers - in addition I like to shake things up a bit - so I pulled the trigger early to get the issue settled (for me) and UN-settle things for everyone else (especially you and Max) - and it worked.

You did not ask me WHY I drafted Finley in the 2nd.

You stated, and I quote, "When you drafted Finley in the 2nd that screwed up my entire draft". End Quote.

Mission accomplished: I got my guy and sent you scrambling!

Sweet!

Look, in a league awarding 6 pts per TD to QBs and starting 3 WRs, it is passing heavy.

Locking in Money at QB/TE opens up roster spots to pick up FAs along the way (often more important than the draft).

And remember, it doesn't matter who (or what position) you draft where if all your picks are golden.

Idealistic maybe, but you do your research and there are starters to be found all 16 rounds - I try to answer questions early while everyone else plays the "value game".

Hope that made sense, if not, criticize away!

Daylight

still makes no sense, 6pt td's isn't big enough to warant a qb at the 4 spot and taking Finley there when someone like Vernon Davis who is just as good could be had in the 4th makes no sense. going qb/te screws your other positions, you think you can fill your rb/wr spots with sleepers but there going that late for a reason, there not as good.

Yea, tosberg34 oh yea.

Daylight here, your Packers-Fan from Milwaukee and official (but friendly) nemesis.

What you describe is not *exactly* how it happened.

Brees at 1.4 (that was me) - Money in the Bank - other than possibly Rogers, no-one is more a sure thing in fantasy more than Drew - that's why I took him. Peyton also but he just looked rattled agains our Packers.

This is a 6 pt per TD for QBs league and a top tier QB makes a huge difference.

As for Finley - IMHO - the progression is solid and mouth-watering : Thompson-McCarthy-Rogers and now Finley: Money in the Bank.

I knew my Fellow Packers Homies would be after Finley and drafting in the 4th spot my only chance to get him was 2.8 or 3.4 - no way I am letting that slip through my fingers - in addition I like to shake things up a bit - so I pulled the trigger early to get the issue settled (for me) and UN-settle things for everyone else (especially you and Max) - and it worked.

You stated, and I quote, "When you drafted Finley in the 2nd that screwed up my entire draft". End Quote.

Mission accomplished: I got my guy and sent you scrambling!

Sweet!

Look, in a league awarding 6 pts per TD to QBs and starting 3 WRs, it is passing heavy.

Locking in Money at QB/TE opens up roster spots to pick up FAs along the way (often more important than the draft).

And remember, it doesn't matter who (or what position) you draft where if all your picks are golden.

Idealistic maybe, but you do your research and there are starters to be found all 16 rounds - I try to answer questions early while everyone else plays the "value game".

Hope that made sense, if not, criticize away!

Daylight

Busted! :lol: Maybe I need to change my screen name to something less obvious.

I only said the above bolded section to throw you off into thinking it screwed me up. Who drafts a TE in the 2nd round? That just left more on the board for me! :lol: The only thing I was scrambling for was deciding between Randy Moss, Michael Turner, Steven Jackson, Deangelo Williams, Ryan Mathews (to name a few) with my 11th pick.

One thing is for sure, you certainly don't play the value game. Sometimes I'm not sure what your strategy is. :tup: In fact, I'm sure there is no known QB-TE-WR strategy listed here at the Huddle.

Besides, daylight, I don't offer "criticism" but "thoughtful analysis". Please don't get the two confused. :tup:

DO NOT MAKE ME POST YOUR ROSTER ON THIS BOARD! I'm not sure you would be able to endure the thrashing.

But like you said, this is all in good fun and I look forward to trouncing you in Week 1! :wacko:

Edited by tosberg34

I was paying too much attention to the naked waitresses than to worry about the other goofballs drafting their teams!

:wacko::tup:

OMG a strip club league. :tup: I just happen to know the owner and her son of Les Girls in San Diego. Now wouldn't that be a hoot to have a live draft in a strip club!!!

Who was the highest ranted TE last year in this League? Finley could get 80 catches and 1100 yards but where does that compare to RB's and WR's?

No local drafts here I'd just like to open this up for comments

Had mine on Saturday evening after a long day of drinking and eating. Instead of doing it online, we decided to get together and have it in real life at my cousin's house. He was absolutely smashed and he wanted to run the draft. I was opposed to it and we fought all day about it.

Anyway my cousin had the 1.12 pick. It gets to him, he picks up Turner and Jackson for his back to back picks! :tup: We had 4 Qbs go in the first round which was flat out amazing. Now that's a ridiculous story to me, just to start the draft off! I have played with these guys for a while now and never seen this...

Now back to my cousin who had the 12th pick and in charge of the draft. He is making sure we go in order or so he thought. We get to the 24 pick and he stands up and blurts out that he has Megatron and B. Marshall. He's all trying to rub it in every ones face going to the sheet to write it down. I was super confused, because I'm thinking, "wth is this dude talkin about!" I was looking at who I was trying to draft in a few picks and this dude thinks he's going again! and back to back mind you..

I ended up fighting with him forever :wacko: , trying to explain to him the way the draft order goes. Somehow he thought he was supposed to get back to back picks after the second round. I just knew he was too hammered to do it, but I guess we had to witness that, so we don't have to go through it again.

Just another fun day/night to draft :tup:

Busted! :lol: Maybe I need to change my screen name to something less obvious.

I only said the above bolded section to throw you off into thinking it screwed me up. Who drafts a TE in the 2nd round? That just left more on the board for me! :lol: The only thing I was scrambling for was deciding between Randy Moss, Michael Turner, Steven Jackson, Deangelo Williams, Ryan Mathews (to name a few) with my 11th pick.

One thing is for sure, you certainly don't play the value game. Sometimes I'm not sure what your strategy is. :tup: In fact, I'm sure there is no known QB-TE-WR strategy listed here at the Huddle.

Besides, daylight, I don't offer "criticism" but "thoughtful analysis". Please don't get the two confused. :lol:

DO NOT MAKE ME POST YOUR ROSTER ON THIS BOARD! I'm not sure you would be able to endure the thrashing.

But like you said, this is all in good fun and I look forward to trouncing you in Week 1! :wacko:

I say post both of your teams. I want to see how his draft played out as well as yours. Can you take the trashing? :tup:

A guy in a league I'm in never prepares . In fact I think he bought a FF Magazine on the way to the draft. His 1st mistake was showing up. His 2nd mistake was trying to draft Vincent Jackson in the 3rd round and the Commish of the league wouldn't allow it. If I was the Commish I would have put him on his team. IMO If he doesn't come prepared let him draft his team and donate his money.

How the HELL does the commish justify negating that pick? Jackson is on an NFL roster, he's not even injured. If he disallows that pick, I scream bloody murder. If he doesn't relent, I may just pick up my stuff, stop payment on my league check, and leave. That's a commish that is WAY overstepping his authority.

How the HELL does the commish justify negating that pick? Jackson is on an NFL roster, he's not even injured. If he disallows that pick, I scream bloody murder. If he doesn't relent, I may just pick up my stuff, stop payment on my league check, and leave. That's a commish that is WAY overstepping his authority.

I agree, if he wants to throw away his money by not coming prepared that's his fault, but not allowing that it changed the whole draft, someone could of dropped to you but because it wasn't allowed maybe he gets picked right before you. I think I would leave to.

I say post both of your teams. I want to see how his draft played out as well as yours. Can you take the trashing? :wacko:

You callin' me chicken? :tup: Okay, I'll bite - here you go:

Pick Player

Daylight

01.04 Brees, Drew NOS QB

02.09 Finley, Jermichael GBP TE

03.04 White, Roddy ATL WR

04.09 Welker, Wes NEP WR

05.04 Owens, Terrell CIN WR

06.09 Bradshaw, Ahmad NYG RB

07.04 Meachem, Robert NOS WR

08.09 Tomlinson, LaDainian NYJ RB

09.04 Washington, Leon SEA RB

10.09 Jones, Thomas KCC RB

11.04 Choice, Tashard DAL RB

12.09 Akers, David PHI PK

13.04 Hester, Devin CHI WR

14.09 Murphy, Louis OAK WR

15.04 Torain, Ryan WAS RB

16.09 Taylor, Fred NEP RB

tosberg34

01.11 Moss, Randy NEP WR

02.02 Turner, Michael ATL RB

03.11 Thomas, Pierre NOS RB

04.02 Gates, Antonio SDC TE

05.11 Foster, Arian HOU RB

06.02 Bowe, Dwayne KCC WR

07.11 Gaffney, Jabar DEN WR

08.02 Kolb, Kevin PHI QB

09.11 Hightower, Tim ARI RB

10.02 Robinson, Laurent STL WR

11.11 Crosby, Mason GBP PK

12.02 Smith, Alex SFO QB

13.11 Massaquoi, Mohamed CLE WR

14.02 Williams, Mike TBB WR ®

15.11 Bears, Chicago CHI Def

16.02 Thomas, Mike JAC WR

Edited by tosberg34

In my league's second season (we're at 10 years now), I announced to the whole league through email and in person that DEF points would be much higher than the previous season (DEF barely scored any points the previous year, so I tweaked the scoring a bit).

My brother drafted St. Louis DEF in the second round. When I asked him was he sure, he said 'Yes, you said DEF were scoring a lot higher.' Now, this was a time when BALT dominated on DEF. So the pick was and still is the worst pick in league history. We finally stopped bringing it up at the draft a couple years ago, but I still talk about it to other people this time every year. BTW, he has never even sniffed a championship.

The same draft (I'm the commish), I got completely drunk along with 'something' else. I kept announcing the league draft is taking a 'break' and I'd go outside (wink wink). At that time, we didn't use draft labels, i would write in the picks. By the end of the draft, the player's names were 5 times the size as when the draft started and were at angles. By some miracle, I won the league (I drafted Manning,Tony Gonzalez, Holmes, Deuce McAllister and Jamal Lewis). To this day, one of the best drafts I've ever had.

Today a guy took Rodgers at 1.8 (not a bad pick) but then takes Eli Manning in the 4th round.

Also today.....JAVON WALKER goes at 1.10 with only AJ off the board. Yes I do live in MN....

made even better.....didn't even make a team! Cut by the Vikings.....

I've been playing in a league more or less as a favor to my brothers. Its user friendly - 3 ww moves per year. No trades. Team QBs and PKs. The owners pretty much get their cheatsheets and follow right along. I just haven't got the hang of this league - I don't do very well.

Anyway, I'm drafting in spot #2. Coming to the end of round 5. I know these guys are the type to get their starting lineups set before they pick reserves. I have two TEs that I like - Witten and Celek. I know owner #1, who has two consecutive picks, is going to draft a TE, probably one of those two. Since I think that its a coinflip between Witten and Celek, I draft another position. I'll take whomever is left and be happy.

You guessed it - owner #1 drafted Witten and Celek.

I'm miffed, but whatever. It happens. I draft another position at 6.02.

Comes back around. Everybody has a TE. I target Zach Miller (OAK) for round 9. I figure that round 9 is a bit early for Miller, but I want to get him before thses guys start drafting their reserve TEs. Too late. A number of TEs have gone off the board by my pick in round 9, including Miller.

I ended up with John Carlson in round 13. I'll just take the 0 when he is on his bye week - there won't be that much of a dropoff.

Edited by Furd

I got an account just to post this in honor of a fellow league member. This is the 20th anniversary season of the Walla Walla Sweet Onion Fantasy Football League and the first one without one of our league founders who had to retire his team this season. We raised our glasses of rye in his honor and pressed on. Funny how something as silly as ff can come to mean quite a lot.

Oh, and we always remind one of our distinquished owners that he once drafted James Brooks in the first round--in the year he retired mid-season.

You callin' me chicken? :wacko: Okay, I'll bite - here you go:

Pick Player

Daylight

01.04 Brees, Drew NOS QB

02.09 Finley, Jermichael GBP TE

03.04 White, Roddy ATL WR

04.09 Welker, Wes NEP WR

05.04 Owens, Terrell CIN WR

06.09 Bradshaw, Ahmad NYG RB

07.04 Meachem, Robert NOS WR

08.09 Tomlinson, LaDainian NYJ RB

09.04 Washington, Leon SEA RB

10.09 Jones, Thomas KCC RB

11.04 Choice, Tashard DAL RB

12.09 Akers, David PHI PK

13.04 Hester, Devin CHI WR

14.09 Murphy, Louis OAK WR

15.04 Torain, Ryan WAS RB

16.09 Taylor, Fred NEP RB

tosberg34

01.11 Moss, Randy NEP WR

02.02 Turner, Michael ATL RB

03.11 Thomas, Pierre NOS RB

04.02 Gates, Antonio SDC TE

05.11 Foster, Arian HOU RB

06.02 Bowe, Dwayne KCC WR

07.11 Gaffney, Jabar DEN WR

08.02 Kolb, Kevin PHI QB

09.11 Hightower, Tim ARI RB

10.02 Robinson, Laurent STL WR

11.11 Crosby, Mason GBP PK

12.02 Smith, Alex SFO QB

13.11 Massaquoi, Mohamed CLE WR

14.02 Williams, Mike TBB WR ®

15.11 Bears, Chicago CHI Def

16.02 Thomas, Mike JAC WR

I can take it - rip away!

Drafted 9th out of 10 teams last night, 2 QB start all TD's worth 6 pts. PPR league. 1st round was Brees, CJ, Rodgers, AP, Rice, Manning, MJD, and Brady. I drafter Schaub and came back and drafted Rivers. I wanted 2 of the top QB's and got them. Then when my turn came again, I got greedy. I was planning on taking Arian Foster with either my 3rd or 4th pick. But there were plenty of RB's left ahead of him on my Huddle cheatsheet and only a few teams still needed RB's. So, instead I took Megatron and came back and took Welker.

We have a husband and wife drafting in the league, and the husband had heard me crowing about drafting Arian Foster at an earlier draft, but he had already drafted Rice and Matthews, 1-2. So my concern was lessened and thought it was worth the risk.

The wife had drafted Brees, Wayne and R. Moss 1-2-3, and came back and drafted P. Thomas and..........you guessed it, Arian Foster. One of the guys in the league said "hey, there isn't anyway she would know about him without the hubby helping her." Well, probably not, but my plan backfired, and now the wife has a loaded team.

My team looks like a solid 2nd place, starters, Schaub, Rivers, J Best, Moreno, Megatron, Welker, Gates, Steelers and Rackers. Could have kicked myself for letting the biggest sleeper of the year go too long and getting too greedy. :-(