[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Forte/Chester Taylor

brg88tx

Is Chester Taylor just going to be a 3rd down back or will the carries be split?....70/30 forte? 60/40 forte? 50/50?

The reason I ask is i thought Taylor was going to only be a 3rd down back but yahoo has taylor projected almost as many points as forte. Thanks

I grabbed Taylor late in a 16-teamer with the hope that, based on the need in Mike Martz's system for an RB to be able to catch passes out of the backfield, that he'll have some nice value.

I don't see the Bears being a great team this year, and I see them playing from behind more than with the lead. If that's the case, and they need to abandon the run early, I think its Taylor that gets a nice bump.

I think Yahoo is assuming (like many are) that Forte will end up having a tough year again, especially under a Mike Martz offense. However, if Forte is able to break some tackles, you can expect Taylor to only to see 3rd down runs and those stats on Yahoo, you can take 30% off of Taylor and add them to Forte..

Not sure anybody knows with a new OC in Chicago. Martz has used a primary back before and has split up work before. Taylor would have played a lot more if he wasn't behind AP so he has talent. Getting a little old but he doesn't have many miles on him. Forte produced decent numbers when he was 80% of the offense but has always had a poor YPC and a mediocre O line to run behind. My guess is 60/40 with Forte getting the majorities but it could really shake out differently by mid season and nobody really knows what to expect from a Martz offense in Chicago. Anyway, I guess none of that really helps that much. I'm not real high on either this year because there are so many question marks so IMO you should temper your expectations for either.

There really is no telling with him. Of interest is swammi's mention: late in a 16 team. I've seen him undrafted in 12 team leagues. He's certainly there for the taking and isn't even seen as a handcuff to Forte owners from what I can tell.

Pretty much my feeling too. I'd be up for grabbing him late in any 12+ team leagues.

IMO Chester is a bye week fill. If Forte gets hurt, then his stock goes up. If he comes cheap enough I'd try and trade him to the Forte owner or get Forte in a trade, but since I used him a lot last year he'll catch 4 balls and give about 40 on most days.

I grabbed Taylor late in a 16-teamer with the hope that, based on the need in Mike Martz's system for an RB to be able to catch passes out of the backfield, that he'll have some nice value.

:wacko: Forte has caught 120 balls over the last 2 yrs.

This is about Forte, ie if he's the 2009 Forte or 2008 Forte. That will dictate the % IMO. If 08, Taylor will again be a spot duty player.

:wacko: Forte has caught 120 balls over the last 2 yrs.

I realize that, and he'll continue to catch his share of passes. But in this day and age of RBBC, and with Forte expected to be the RB that handles the bulk of the rushing load (14-18 carries per game?), I don't see him getting an additional 5-7 touches PG via the air. That would put Forte in a dangerous 300+ touch range, which I think is too much for him.

Taylor has to have some role...and I think it will be in passing downs. And as I mentioned, I think Chicago will be trailing in a lot of games this year, increasing the need to abandon the run and go more with the pass. Hence, Taylors role would naturally increase.

Forte is definitley the guy worth owning on this team..but in PPR formats, Taylor had a great chance to be a worthy low-end RB2 or RB3.

I think Taylor is the better RB to be honest with you. I was never impresseed with Forte's style as he always lacked lateral quickness and really banked on dead ahead speed. If he wasnt catching a large number of passes I dont think Forte would even be startable. Taylor on the other hand has always impressed me. He obviously wasnt going to get a large number of carries, but the work he did get furthered my impressions of him. I really wouldnt be surprised if he ended up getting the majority of the work this year going by how the line has looked.

Could you unwrap this a little bit? Why exactly does 300 touches put Forte in "danger"?

I think in today's days of protecting your "franchise" RB that teams are going to take the necessary steps to keep players touches realistic. Last year, there were only 9 RBs that amassed 300+ touches on the year....Forte included. Also included in that group were Grant (who we can agree underperformed last year to his ADP), Benson (who broke down), and Jackson (who also missed his last few games).

So of those nine, only Chris Johnson, Thomas Jones, Ray Rice, MJD and Peterson held up the entire year, or played to their ADP. That's disconcerting, and a trend I see teams moving away from.

Forte did it last year more out of necessity, as they didn't have a complimentary RB to share the load. That is precisely the reason they signed Taylor....to get a back that can take 20-30% of the rushing load, and play in certain situations (i.e passing downs).

All this being said, if Forte comes out and produces like the RB of 2008, and the questionable line can gel and open holes, and the Bears can play competitively into 2nd halves of games and not have to abandon the run....Forte will be RB1 worthy. I just don't see the stars lining up for all that to happen.

I think Taylor is the better RB to be honest with you. I was never impresseed with Forte's style as he always lacked lateral quickness and really banked on dead ahead speed. If he wasnt catching a large number of passes I dont think Forte would even be startable. Taylor on the other hand has always impressed me. He obviously wasnt going to get a large number of carries, but the work he did get furthered my impressions of him. I really wouldnt be surprised if he ended up getting the majority of the work this year going by how the line has looked.

agreed

I took Taylor at 132 overall last night. .5 ppr l2 teamer.

He went last pick in the 5th round of a twelve teamer I am in. A HS coach took him, saying Forte and his sub 4 YPC and lack of ability to make his own way or make a move to get open made Taylor his must have guy.

Cant say I disagree. 5th rounder is a little high, but if thats the guy you want you do what gets him.