[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Detroit Lions RB Kevin Smith might get cut?

JUMbotron

That would be moronic for Detroit to do considering Smith ran very good at 4.1 avg per carry with a wickedly retched O-line in 08 and he was injured a large junk of the 09 season.

Well, you said it yourself - that was two years ago, prior to major knee surgery. You also realize that 4.1 yards a carry is about as average as you get with a RB that has a significant number of carries.

I will disagree with you about Detroit's offesnive lines. It wasn't all that good, but it wasn't "wickedly retched" either. Even when healthy, Smith never showed a burst. He had holes, but he couldn't get through them before they closed. He has even less of a burst now.

Well, you said it yourself - that was two years ago, prior to major knee surgery. You also realize that 4.1 yards a carry is about as average as you get with a RB that has a significant number of carries.

I will disagree with you about Detroit's offesnive lines. It wasn't all that good, but it wasn't "wickedly retched" either. Even when healthy, Smith never showed a burst. He had holes, but he couldn't get through them before they closed. He has even less of a burst now.

2008 Stats for the Lions offensive line

Overall rank #32

Rush Yards Per Game Rank #30

Yards Per Game 83.2

Pass Protection Rank #31

Sacks Allowed 52

Pass vs Run % 61-39

No, that offensive line was "wickedly retched"

and they'd be absolutely correct.

Westbrooks touches per year as a starter:

2003: 154 (15 games played)

2004: 250 (13 games played)

2005: 217 (12 games played)

2006: 317 (15 games played)

2007: 368 (15 games played)

2008: 287 (14 games played)

2009: 86 (8 games played)

So, lets see...he had two season's in his entire career where he had over 300 touches....neither year was he able to play all 16 games. For as wonderful as he as those two years, the prime of his career was cut short significantly by the abuse he took as a smaller player carrying the entire RB load for the team.

is this really what you think detroit has in mind for its 1st round pick? In his very first year playing in the NFL? I highly, highly doubt it.

good point

at the same time...im looking at it and seeing the other possible side of it too.....

this is a league where teams can make quick turnarounds with the right moves(Ie the falcons two years ago)...and mayhew seems to be on the right track here(ie his fleecing of the cowboys for roy williams)....he had calvin in place....hed added pieces in stafford, suh, and delmas....and also burleson and scheffler........these guys want to start winning asap....and they look to be on the upswing

not sure what bests contract looks like....but im assuming its around 5 years....and its bottom of the first round money.....which, if he performs well, makes him quite a bargain.....sure they want to have him on the field and healthy while hes under that contract....but i dont think theyll have jahvids, best longterm career and financial interests, in their overall plans.....if they can get 300-320 touches a year from him for at least 4 of the 5 years hes under contract...im sure they will....and theyll be pretty happy about it.....westy had a nice little run with the eagles....and they won some games in philly....i think thats what they are looking at right now with best...i think the feeling with a guy like that is they can try to run him ragged, to a degree, and he can be replaced when he wears down and might be looking for a payday

Edited by forever in debt to mo lewis

2008 Stats for the Lions offensive line

Overall rank #32

Rush Yards Per Game Rank #30

Yards Per Game 83.2

Pass Protection Rank #31

Sacks Allowed 52

Pass vs Run % 61-39

No, that offensive line was "wickedly retched"

Those numbers are misleading. Are the yards per carry average due to a poor line or that they had fairly plodding RBs (Smith and a past his prime Rudi Johnson)? Are the sacks attributed to the line or to the god-awful QBs ?(Mr. Sack himself Jon Kitna, Dan Orlovsky and Daunte Culpepper - are those some mobile quarterbacks with quick releases, or what?)

I'd say that its a little of both. Backus and Raiola are ok. Stephen Peterman serviceable. 1st round draft pick Ghosder Cherilus was in the mix. These guys are still playing. Why are people so high on Jahvid Best with these wicked retches on the line?

Not good? Sure. Bad? OK. Wickedly wretched? No.

Edited by Furd

When you ranked last in nearly every category and the only thing really moving on your offense is your RB, then it's not your RB that is at issue.

It seems to me that if an RB is "really moving" then the offensive line must be doing something right.

Anyway, I maintain that Smith was a decent back in 2008 with a subpar offensive line. You can believe that he was a great back who was held back by a wretched offensive line.

That's about it.

and they'd be absolutely correct.

Westbrooks touches per year as a starter:

2003: 154 (15 games played)

2004: 250 (13 games played)

2005: 217 (12 games played)

2006: 317 (15 games played)

2007: 368 (15 games played)

2008: 287 (14 games played)

2009: 86 (8 games played)

So, lets see...he had two season's in his entire career where he had over 300 touches....neither year was he able to play all 16 games. For as wonderful as he as those two years, the prime of his career was cut short significantly by the abuse he took as a smaller player carrying the entire RB load for the team.

is this really what you think detroit has in mind for its 1st round pick? In his very first year playing in the NFL? I highly, highly doubt it.

Beat me to it! :wacko:

Yeah... the same thing was said about Westbrook... and he has spent most of his career dealing with injury as a result of being over-worked.

As a Cal fan I will tell you - Best is fragile. If he is over-worked, he will break. That's all there is to it.

Beat me to it! :wacko:

Yeah... the same thing was said about Westbrook... and he has spent most of his career dealing with injury as a result of being over-worked.

As a Cal fan I will tell you - Best is fragile. If he is over-worked, he will break. That's all there is to it.

GO DUCKS

good point

at the same time...im looking at it and seeing the other possible side of it too.....

this is a league where teams can make quick turnarounds with the right moves(Ie the falcons two years ago)...and mayhew seems to be on the right track here(ie his fleecing of the cowboys for roy williams)....he had calvin in place....hed added pieces in stafford, suh, and delmas....and also burleson and scheffler........these guys want to start winning asap....and they look to be on the upswing

not sure what bests contract looks like....but im assuming its around 5 years....and its bottom of the first round money.....which, if he performs well, makes him quite a bargain.....sure they want to have him on the field and healthy while hes under that contract....but i dont think theyll have jahvids, best longterm career and financial interests, in their overall plans.....if they can get 300-320 touches a year from him for at least 4 of the 5 years hes under contract...im sure they will....and theyll be pretty happy about it.....westy had a nice little run with the eagles....and they won some games in philly....i think thats what they are looking at right now with best...i think the feeling with a guy like that is they can try to run him ragged, to a degree, and he can be replaced when he wears down and might be looking for a payday

:wacko:

And any of that.....backs....your point.....how.......................................................

:tup:

:wacko: Paging Willis McGahee.... I would say as the goaline back but not sure how much the Lions will be on the goaline so let's say just short yardage back! Ravens get some draft picks hell it could work they still have the other McDaddy in McLain for short yardage plunging! Lions get to let an already old(by nfl standards) back take the beating and let best do the fleeting!

Edited by Sunday Couch Potatoe

I think 20 touches is the plan. 15-17 carries, a few catches, maybe a direct snap wildcat occasionally. A kick or punt return here and there.

You don't take a RB in the first round, one with that kind of ability, and just give him 12-15 touches.

Tell that to Jerry Jones and Felix Jones, please .... LoL :wacko:

Whoever said Smith was looking good this pre season must not have seen any of the Lions...

I like Smith but I'll admit he looked like crap, didn't run well at all, slow and weak. Whatever the Lions do with him will not surprise me at all.

Whoever said Smith was looking good this pre season must not have seen any of the Lions...

I like Smith but I'll admit he looked like crap, didn't run well at all, slow and weak. Whatever the Lions do with him will not surprise me at all.

But isn't his ACL surgery a major factor in that? Outside of the non-human Wes Welker, all RBs don't look very good this far out from surgery. Heck, before the preseason most people thought that Ksmith wasn't going to play until mid-season. The fact that he is back running at all was fairly impressive. I think the only reason DET would really look at it is because they are hoping that keeping a bunch of players at a few positions will help to cover their deficiencies on defense so they need all the roster spots they can get. Long term, I think it makes more sense to use Mo Maurice along with Best and then work Ksmith back into the mix in a month or two.

Edited by Square

But isn't his ACL surgery a major factor in that? Outside of the non-human Wes Welker, all RBs don't look very good this far out from surgery. Heck, before the preseason most people thought that Ksmith wasn't going to play until mid-season. The fact that he is back running at all was fairly impressive. I think the only reason DET would really look at it is because they are hoping that keeping a bunch of players at a few positions will help to cover their deficiencies on defense so they need all the roster spots they can get. Long term, I think it makes more sense to use Mo Maurice along with Best and then work Ksmith back into the mix in a month or two.

I think the bolded part says it all because Welker is not a RB and while a WR has his hands and his legs - a RB runs differently and not so much for speed, but rather power so they don't get as much of a burst when running with power...

plus Welker isn't human, but I think that being a RB is the hardest position to come back from ACL surgery on...