[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Jason Snelling

ChampSampson

dedicated thread...as the previous threads are dated or pertain to others ..

What are your thoughts about this guy? Is he going to take the load off Turner or take a back seat to Norwood...?

I think Snelling is underrated. He stepped in to replace the injured Michael Turner and had several impressive games along with supplying the offense with a receiving back. Snelling had 30 catches for 259 yards and a score and ended with 613 yards on 142 runs with four more TD's last year. Turner is back and healthy again but the Falcons want to use Snelling more to keep Turner fresh. Turner had 385 carries in 2008 and then broke down last year. Snelling has a role on this improving offense. And if Turner is injured again...
Edited by ChampSampson

Keeping a very, very close eye on rookie Dimitri Nance this offseason. I like his overall skill set better than the more confined Snelling. Snelling only getting re-upped for 1 year @ $1.6M tells me that ATL doesn't consider him a part of their long term plans, Nance runs with fierceness and drive, and has good pass catching ability. He doesn't have top-end speed and he needs to get over his propensity to fumble, but he has everything else a pro runner needs - power, attitude, patience, blocking ability, vision.

He may get cut tomorrow - he is an UDFA, but if he sticks I could easily see him bypassing Snelling, who would move back to FB.

Keeping a very, very close eye on rookie Dimitri Nance this offseason. I like his overall skill set better than the more confined Snelling. Snelling only getting re-upped for 1 year @ $1.6M tells me that ATL doesn't consider him a part of their long term plans, Nance runs with fierceness and drive, and has good pass catching ability. He doesn't have top-end speed and he needs to get over his propensity to fumble, but he has everything else a pro runner needs - power, attitude, patience, blocking ability, vision.

He may get cut tomorrow - he is an UDFA, but if he sticks I could easily see him bypassing Snelling, who would move back to FB.

All this seems logical but I doubt Dimitroff gave Snelling a 2nd round level contract to a 7th rounder drafted by the previous regime to be a backup to the entrenched FB (Mughelli). And Snelling is actually less 'confined' than Turner in the sense that they now only recently seem to feel Turner deserves any passes thrown in his direction.

Snelling is Turner insurance until further notice.