[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

How did miles austin get so good

ttwarrior4

exactly...the only problem with Austin is that drafting him doesn't feel as comforting as drafting R Moss or AJ....but I still have him one below those two...

Exactly. Now if I could only sell you on Charles you would be all lined out!

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

exactly...the only problem with Austin is that drafting him doesn't feel as comforting as drafting R Moss or AJ....but I still have him one below those two...

Here are my top 10 as of today. I have Austin at 4:

Andre Johnson

Randy Moss

Roddy White

Miles Austin

Calvin Johnson

Reggie Wayne

Larry Fitzgerald

Greg Jennings

Desean Jackson

Brandon Marshall

Exactly. Now if I could only sell you on Charles you would be all lined out!

:tup: I am sold on Charles....I just have him a slight notch below where you do....

but make no mistake...I like Charles, just not until the mid/late 3rd - mid 4th.....

and considering my local has taken a hit this year and we'll only have 8 owners :wacko:, I may just get my way :tup:

Here are my top 10 as of today. I have Austin at 4:

Andre Johnson

Randy Moss

Roddy White

Miles Austin

Calvin Johnson

Reggie Wayne

Larry Fitzgerald

Greg Jennings

Desean Jackson

Brandon Marshall

I'll add mine...

Andre Johnson

Randy Moss

Miles Austin

Greg Jennings

Reggie Wayne

Calvin Johnson

Roddy White

Larry Fitzgerald

Steve Smith NYG

DeSean Jackson

DJax keeps slipping for me though, I have Marshall and Colston just behind him waiting to crack the top 10...

Okay, now let's get down to it.

Here's where I see Austin's issues being generated:

1) He is now a known quantity. Teams have had a whole offseason to take a look at game film and see where his strengths and weaknesses are. They also realize that he is very talented and they are going to give him more respect, and consequently more attention, than perhaps they did last year.

2) The competition for targets is much greater in DAL this year. Roy Williams seems to have had enough time to understand the system and seems as well to be making a much greater effort in his play. Dez Bryant is more talented physically than Austin, is a polished product despite being a rookie (note - he still has learning to do, but his curve is much smaller), and is going to improve as the season progresses. Then we have Witten and Jones, as well as other role players who will all get a piece of the action.

Austin was 17th in the league in targets, but 8th in the league in the second half of the season, and if you took his second half targets and projected them for a full season - which is what people want to do with his second half production, he would have lead all WRs in targets last year. There is simply no way that Austin gets targetted 178 times with Witten, Bryant, R Williams, et al playing. It is simple math.

3) The DAL O, and particularly the DAL O-line, looks atrocious this year. Everyone is buzzing about Cutler getting sacked, while DAL has allowed one less sack than CHI so far in the preseason. DAL is currently in the bottom third of the league in every major passing category, and is dead last in the league in total O and rushing. You try not to read too much into preseason stats, but a drop off of this magnitude from last year can not simply be dismissed as meaningless.

This O has slipped dramatically, and it appears that the primary cause is O-line play. That can't just get undone and righted when the regular season starts. The DAL offense right now is in complete disarray, and despite playing 1 more game than every team except CIN has been outscored by every AFC team except KC, and only has outscored TB, CHI, CAR, and AZ in the NFC. They are getting grouped right now with what are unquestionably some of the worst O teams in the league.

Edited by Bronco Billy

I ask again. Was the BOTH draft a league with WCOFF rules and roster requirements? Because otherwise it is apples and oranges.

Anyway, the BOTH league was a 0.5 PPR where you can start 1-2RBs and 2-3WRs.....so, round 2 is typically more WR heavy than WCOFF if anything.

Edited by bushwacked

Anyway, the BOTH league was a 0.5 PPR where you can start 1-2RBs and 2-3WRs.....so, round 2 is typically more WR heavy than WCOFF if anything.

Okay, so in WCOFF you get a half point more per reception ,and you start an extra player. Call me crazy, but I believe that elevates stud receivers just a tad.

1) He is now a known quantity. Teams have had a whole offseason to take a look at game film and see where his strengths and weaknesses are. They also realize that he is very talented and they are going to give him more respect, and consequently more attention, than perhaps they did last year.

2) The competition for targets is much greater in DAL this year. Roy Williams seems to have had enough time to understand the system and seems as well to be making a much greater effort in his play. Dez Bryant is more talented physically than Austin, is a polished product despite being a rookie (note - he still has learning to do, but his curve is much smaller), and is going to improve as the season progresses. Then we have Witten and Jones, as well as other role players who will all get a piece of the action.

Austin was 17th in the league in targets, but 8th in the league in the second half of the season, and if you took his second half targets and projected them for a full season - which is what people want to do with his second half production, he would have lead all WRs in targets last year. There is simply no way that Austin gets targetted 178 times with Witten, Bryant, R Williams, et al playing. It is simple math.

3) The DAL O, and particularly the DAL O-line, looks atrocious this year. Everyone is buzzing about Cutler getting sacked, while DAL has allowed one less sack than CHI so far in the preseason. DAL is currently in the bottom third of the league in every major passing category, and is dead last in the league in total O and rushing. You try not to read too much into preseason stats, but a drop off of this magnitude from last year can not simply be dismissed as meaningless.

This O has slipped dramatically, and it appears that the primary cause is O-line play. That can't just get undone and righted when the regular season starts. The DAL offense right now is in complete disarray, and despite playing 1 more game than every team except CIN has been outscored by every AFC team except KC, and only has outscored TB, CHI, CAR, and AZ in the NFC. They are getting grouped right now with what are unquestionably some of the worst O teams in the league.

You lost me at Roy Williams. If you're still a believer that Roy Williams can contribute anything consistent, then you need to pick a new hobby.

Nice analysis as always. And that Dallas line is cause for concern. But it is about the only one. The O-line has not been complete for any of their games if I am thinking correctly. And if they don't get it together, and get healthy and cohesive it is not going to be pretty. I realize that, I think most of us do. You can't just throw 5 guys together and expect them to work as a unit. It takes time. But you can look at every other top receiver outside of AJ and Moss and come up with reasons to be leery. I guess I just have faith that they will get their Athenae together. As far as Roy Williams having any real impact on Austin's numbers? Child please.

It would appear that DAL still believes in him right now, doesn't it?

More like, they got scammed like a Bernie Madoff victim and now they just have to eat their pork and beans for awhile.

Nice analysis as always. And that Dallas line is cause for concern. But it is about the only one. The O-line has not been complete for any of their games if I am thinking correctly. And if they don't get it together, and get healthy and cohesive it is not going to be pretty. I realize that, I think most of us do. You can't just throw 5 guys together and expect them to work as a unit. It takes time. But you can look at every other top receiver outside of AJ and Moss and come up with reasons to be leery. I guess I just have faith that they will get their Athenae together.

Now that's much more what I expect from you. And I agree with the vast predominance of this.

As far as Roy Williams having any real impact on Austin's numbers? Child please.

No one in their right mind would think he's going to be a WR1. But will he get at least 80 targets and probably more? I say yes, he does - especially given the role he looks to take on this year.

So what point are you scrambling to now then? It's not a big boy league unless it's WCOFF or one point PPR?

If that is the impression I gave I apologize. Austin is a top 5 WR in any format, and if you get him late in the 2nd round I congratulate you. Just don't expect to find him there at WCOFF. Just trying to help for those that are interested.

If that is the impression I gave I apologize. Austin is a top 5 WR in any format, and if you get him late in the 2nd round I congratulate you. Just don't expect to find him there at WCOFF. Just trying to help for those that are interested.

He was the 9th WR taken in Emerald City. Apparently not everyone is valuing him where you think they should be.

Yeah, so much that they drafted Dez Bryant. They have to believe in him until Dez gets healthy.

They drafted Dez Bryant because he was easily the best value available on the draft board - and I might add showed a damned sight better sense than some of th teams ahead of DAL in the draft in doing so. Bryant is tagged for greatness that only a fluke injury or his own head could circumvent.

That said, Williams seems to have gotten it into his head, at least for now, that he is not going to play the lead role in the O and that he is going to have to work for what ever share of the pie he gets. If that's the case, he becomes viable in the offense, even if he plays a third less snaps and gets a third less targets than the other 2 guys.

he reminds me of boldin except healthier. Is he really this good, or is it because cowboys have alot of wr, witten, 2 good rb.

What would he do if he was 1 on the jets.

Will bryant steal any from him or will bryant be stealing from just roy williams

haha - Boldin?? they are not similar in an way really

I agree with most - Miles looks good at #7 or so and will finish in the top 10

1st rd pick tho? hell naw

Point? What everyone else does still effects your draft. If Austin is available late in the first, there was a very good chance he will still be there early 2nd.

Other people don't affect my draft unless they take the guy I want before I do.

If I have a guy (Austin) as my #4 WR but his ADP is #10 - I'm still taking him as the 4th WR. Even if I'm drafting say from the 10 spot in round 1 (if I'm planning on going WR), I'm grabbing him in round 1, no way I'm waiting until round 2 because I might be able to get him there. I draft based on my own perceptions and I don't take chances with ADP especially if I like a guy. If it's a guy on the fence about sure, but that's not really what we're talking about.

He was the 9th WR taken in Emerald City. Apparently not everyone is valuing him where you think they should be.

And it is exactly this herd mentality that I seek to exploit. I say he is top 5. If I want a top 5 WR in the first round I get one. I could care less what everyone else thinks. Like I said, just a nugget of info for the folks diong WCOFF. The verdict is in come January, and where I drafted a particular player will not be of much consequence if I have the most points. And I will. :wacko:

Other people don't affect my draft unless they take the guy I want before I do.

Huh. So, if there are guys who you think can be top scorers at their position, you're still going to reach for them, say anywhere from 2 to 6 rounds early then...right? Because after all, other people don't effect how you draft.