[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Bradshaw on Big Ben

Jackass

Found this kind of interesting...

Former Pittsburgh Steelers quarterback Terry Bradshaw said he hopes commissioner Roger Goodell keeps Ben Roethlisberger's suspension at six games, according to a report in the Shreveport Times.

"Going to bars -- treating women like that; oh my God," Bradshaw said. "I pray they don't cut [his NFL suspension] to four games. I hope they leave it at six. There is no excuse for that. The egos get out of hand."

The 28-year-old Roethlisbgerger was suspended in April for six games for violating the NFL's personal conduct policy a week after prosecutors decided not charge him in a case involving a 20-year-old college student who accused him of sexually assaulting her in a Georgia nightclub in March.

Roethlisberger is scheduled to meet with Goodell on Friday to seek a reduction in the suspension.

Sources told ESPN's Sal Paolantonio that Roethlisberger's representatives plan to ask Goodell to lessen the ban to three games and will bring along team president Arthur J. Rooney II to the New York meeting to support the quarterback's case.

Bradshaw, who won four Super Bowls as the Steelers' starting quarterback in the 1970s, was also critical of Roethlisberger in April, when the allegations came to light.

"He has got to realize who he is," Bradshaw said at the time at his golf tournament in Louisiana. "He is an elite athlete in the National Football League. He's got an image problem right now. Best thing to do is never put yourself in that position again."

Roethlisberger played two series in the Steelers' final preseason game, completing 4 of 6 passes for 39 yards against the Carolina Panthers in Pittsburgh.

Byron Leftwich, expected to be the Steelers' starting quarterback while Roethlisberger is suspended, hurt his left knee during the first half Thursday.

Leftwich completed an 18-yard pass to rookie Emmanuel Sanders before being knocked off his feet as running back Mewelde Moore attempted to block safety Marcus Hudson. The play occurred with 10:25 left in the second quarter Thursday night.

Leftwich was examined by team doctors on a stretcher behind the Steelers' bench, then limped into a nearby tunnel that leads to the locker room. Team officials said he would not return to the game.

I actually agree with Bradshaw on this one. At one time, NFL players were hard working, respectful and loyal. That is a thing of the past unfortunately, but I think if there is an opportunity to make a statement, Goodell has it right now.

Meh, at one point the media wasn't what it is now. Reporters were friends with athletes and everyone didn't have a cell phone camera (just saying that I don't believe everyone was perfect in the good ol days). I think shortening this to 4 weeks was about the most telegraphed play in the off season. Other than Big Bender really screwing up, I'm fairly sure it'll end at 4.

Edited by Square

How does an athlete, that was never convicted of a crime, get a 6 game suspension? There are murderers in the hall of fame, players that have violated the alcohol abuse program in the NFL and committed vehicular homicide, dope smokers and players that have punched, been in fights in night clubs without suspensions?

Just bringing up some valid points I guess....

How does an athlete, that was never convicted of a crime, get a 6 game suspension? There are murderers in the hall of fame, players that have violated the alcohol abuse program in the NFL and committed vehicular homicide, dope smokers and players that have punched, been in fights in night clubs without suspensions?

Uh, sorry...I don't care what was able to be proven in a court of law...based on the apoligies generated by Roethlisberger, and the damning tone of the prosecutor at the press confrenece....its pretty clear he raped a college girl, and had she not be too drunk (which ironically was also Roethlisberger's doing) to be put on the stand, he'd likely be in jail.

defending rapists is not becoming....

Edited by i_am_the_swammi

If you do wrong, you need to feel the ultimate punishment. Plexico is a prime example and I'm glad they didn't give him a work release. Vick also, but he paid his time and was afforded the opportunty to play again but he will never be in the same catagory as before is idiotic antics. Ben is just another rich kid with an idiot mentality that "Hey baby, I'm rich and play football. I know you want me". If this was the first time, yeah, maybe.... But how many times does something have to happen for their to be an "well, maybe he is guilty" moment?

I don't see any problem with making it 4 games. The NFL spelled out a program he had tyo follow, with an implied promise to cut it to 4 games if he did all that was asked of him, and reports from Goodell indicate he has done even more than that. The NFL gave him an additional incentive to get his problems squared away. To yank the carrot away would have implications down the road in future disciplinary actions, and set a poor precedent.

I don't see any problem with making it 4 games. The NFL spelled out a program he had tyo follow, with an implied promise to cut it to 4 games if he did all that was asked of him, and reports from Goodell indicate he has done even more than that. The NFL gave him an additional incentive to get his problems squared away. To yank the carrot away would have implications down the road in future disciplinary actions, and set a poor precedent.

I'm not sure I've ever heard that there was an "implied" promise to make it 4 games if he followed the rules. Can you site a source per chance?

I'm not defending a rapist, in the court or public opinion I understand what you are saying, however, he is not convicted of anything, whereas these other players were.....in a court of law which is the finest courts in the world.....Correct?

He's not suspended for rape. He's being suspended for conduct detremental to the team/league.

If he was guilty of rape, he'd be in court an have a suspension with no limit. Since he's brought bad pub to the Steelers and the NFL he's got to sit out. Regardless if he did or didn't isn't the issue. The face that he had developed a rep for putting himself in bad situations prior to this, then he goes out and has sexual relations(rape or not) in a public place is the issue. At best, he's a massive knucklehead.

And just so you know, I think 6 games is too light for what he did.

He's not suspended for rape. He's being suspended for conduct detremental to the team/league.

If he was guilty of rape, he'd be in court an have a suspension with no limit. Since he's brought bad pub to the Steelers and the NFL he's got to sit out. Regardless if he did or didn't isn't the issue. The face that he had developed a rep for putting himself in bad situations prior to this, then he goes out and has sexual relations(rape or not) in a public place is the issue. At best, he's a massive knucklehead.

And just so you know, I think 6 games is too light for what he did.

I agree with everything up there and it is very on the mark. That is until the last sentence. While I think he is a d-bag for sure, I don't think you can suspend him for 6 games when he is not convicted. That is a very slippery slope right there. I think 4 games is about right for something that sure sounds like he did something wrong but not punishable by the courts.

I agree with everything up there and it is very on the mark. That is until the last sentence. While I think he is a d-bag for sure, I don't think you can suspend him for 6 games when he is not convicted. That is a very slippery slope right there. I think 4 games is about right for something that sure sounds like he did something wrong but not punishable by the courts.

+1

I'm with Skip. PON is looney. :wacko:

I disagree. the NFL is a private business and you don't need to be convicted to be suspended or fired. Goodell is trying to clean up the NFL's tainted image and he could suspend Roth indefinitely if he felt it necessary. The NFL does not require unequivocal evidence. The other 2 or 3 times he's been suspected of the same event is good another to warrant the suspension. Roth would have been a good example but Goodell kind of blew it and let him off easy.... Oh well.

I disagree. the NFL is a private business and you don't need to be convicted to be suspended or fired. Goodell is trying to clean up the NFL's tainted image and he could suspend Roth indefinitely if he felt it necessary. The NFL does not require unequivocal evidence. The other 2 or 3 times he's been suspected of the same event is good another to warrant the suspension. Roth would have been a good example but Goodell kind of blew it and let him off easy.... Oh well.

The guy is a big enough d-bag, you don't need to exaggerate. He was suspected one other time of a similar event.

+1,000,000 :wacko: , why are you all so hung up on "convicted" , this is about business not legality.