[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Doh... Now it makes Floyd-sense

DMD

When Malcom Floyd showed up in San Diego in 2004, I didn't think much of it. I always considered him as an over-the-hill journeyman that would not amount to much like about 80+% of all wideouts. And then it seemed sort of wierd to me that he wasn't nearly as old as I thought he was. He turns 29 in five days but I thought he was way older.

So I was banging around some old stats yesterday and <insert forehead slap>

Malcom Floyd was an undrafted player from Wyoming in 2004, born September 8, 1982

and then there was his BROTHER

Malcolm Floyd who was a third round pick by the Oilers in 1994 from Fresno State, born December 19, 1972

MalcoLm played for four seasons and was never much, totaling 26 career catches.

Who names kids Malcolm and Malcom? Brothers ten years apart in age play wideout in the NFL.

Maybe I noticed it more since they were both from Sacramento where I lived for 20 years.

Did anyone else know this was the second Floyd or remember the first one?

Yup. Knew of the older brother. There's a 3rd brother, but I don't know the name.

Floyd grew up watching a fairly expressive wide receiver who, not by coincidence, had a name almost identical to his. Malcolm Floyd, with two L’s in his first name, was a prep football star in Sacramento who went on to catch passes from Trent Dilfer at Fresno State and play four years with the Houston Oilers, Tennessee Titans and St. Louis Rams. He has a little brother named Malcom, with one L.

For nine years, Malcolm was the only child of James and Leataata Floyd. In an attempt to pre-empt any sibling jealousy with the approach of a second child, James gave Malcolm the responsibility of naming the newborn. And when Malcolm declared that it’d be nice to have a brother with the same name, the parents obliged, but did change the spelling by one letter.

“I’m 5-11, but I’m Big Malcolm,” said Malcolm the Elder. “He’s 6-5, but he’s Little Malcom.”