[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

AZ Cardinals - Press Conference

Shorttynaz

Per local radio (620AM - KTAR), the Cardinals have scheduled a press conference today for 3:00p EST (noon AZ time).

I don't imagine they're scheduling a press conference to discuss cutting some scrubs. I have a feeling they're cutting Matt Leinart

Just heard a rumor via the same radio station (nothing confirmed) but the Cardinals and Seahawks may have struck a deal sending Matt Leinart to the Seahawks to be reunited with Pete Carrol, while the Cardinals are getting TJ Houshmanzadeh in return.

Again - NOTHING CONFIRMED - just rumor on local radio

Just heard a rumor via the same radio station (nothing confirmed) but the Cardinals and Seahawks may have struck a deal sending Matt Leinart to the Seahawks to be reunited with Pete Carrol, while the Cardinals are getting TJ Houshmanzadeh in return.

Again - NOTHING CONFIRMED - just rumor on local radio

Housh was already cut.

Cutting Leinart just doesn't make a hell of a lot of sense. Anderson backed up by Hall? Seriously?

Personally I thought Leinart outplayed Anderson by a bit in the PS. I'd guess that Leinart's fate was sealed in spring and Wisenhunt let his ego get in the way of his judgment. It may cost him his job if Leinart catches on somewhere else and ends up a credible starter while AZ is missing the playoffs and possibly starting Hall this season.

This isn't defending Leinart as a great quarterback. He played a major role in his own demise. But he also seemed to be getting his head around what it takes to be a starting QB in the NFL, and his performance this PS showed that.

Cutting Leinart just doesn't make a hell of a lot of sense. Anderson backed up by Hall? Seriously?

Personally I thought Leinart outplayed Anderson by a bit in the PS. I'd guess that Leinart's fate was sealed in spring and Wisenhunt let his ego get in the way of his judgment. It may cost him his job if Leinart catches on somewhere else and ends up a credible starter while AZ is missing the playoffs and possibly starting Hall this season.

This isn't defending Leinart as a great quarterback. He played a major role in his own demise. But he also seemed to be getting his head around what it takes to be a starting QB in the NFL, and his performance this PS showed that.

Perhaps it's just me, but I wasn't all that impressed with Leinart. He barely did anything with the passes he completed and the team didn't score much when he was leading them. I'm not saying Anderson is better, but they at least moved down the field a little more with him at the helm.

Edited by injendsm

There was clearly a chemistry issue between Leinart and Whiz and it probably made for lots of bad juju elsewhere on the team. That's the only real explanation for cutting him. Well, and his salary.

Disgruntled non-starter who overtly felt he'd outperformed the guy that got the job. That and they felt there was more potential with Hall and Skelton than Leinart.

I think it was a good move.

Now... that said... relying on Derek (broad side of a barn) Anderson as your starter. That may turn out to be an awful move.

Well, and his salary.

His salary this season is less than a what few of the perrenial backups are being paid. I documented that in another thread about Leinart. It's another reason why the cut points to the HC's ego, given the direct comparison between he & Anderson in the "competition" this PS.

Obviously Leinart never lived up to the hype ... but even if you put aside whatever personal issues that obviously exist I simply can not believe that the rookie QB is a better backup than Leinart. I also find it pretty hard to believe that Arizona has that much faith in a QB that has been cast off by not just ONE but SEVERAL teams.

Obviously Leinart never lived up to the hype ... but even if you put aside whatever personal issues that obviously exist I simply can not believe that the rookie QB is a better backup than Leinart. I also find it pretty hard to believe that Arizona has that much faith in a QB that has been cast off by not just ONE but SEVERAL teams.

I'm looking at his history and it looks like he was drafted by Baltimore, never played for them, claimed off waivers by Cleveland and then with them until he signed with Arizona :wacko:

His salary this season is less than a what few of the perrenial backups are being paid. I documented that in another thread about Leinart. It's another reason why the cut points to the HC's ego, given the direct comparison between he & Anderson in the "competition" this PS.

Ok... Scratch out the part about his salary.

Whiz had Leinart for three or four years. That's a long time to get to know the guy and what he brings to the table.

it might be the HC's ego, but couldn't it also be an attempt at unifying the team? If there's a controversy, that sounds distracting. Now they have only one QB and one QB only... get behind him and move forward?

That and Leinert sucks.

Seriously, Leinert sucks. Why are people even analyzing this?

Rotoworld:

Citing "persons close to the team," Clark Judge of CBS Sports reports that the Seahawks have no intentions of pursing free agent Matt Leinart.

"It almost surely isn't going to happen," writes Judge. The Seahawks reportedly don't want to "block" Charlie Whitehurst, who remains the team's QB of the future despite an uninspiring first preseason with the club. Judge expects Seattle to carry just two quarterbacks all year. This would seem to leave Houston as the most likely landing spot for Leinart. The Texans have not been pleased with Dan Orlovsky, and were unable to bring back Sage Rosenfels.

Rotoworld:

Citing "persons close to the team," Clark Judge of CBS Sports reports that the Seahawks have no intentions of pursing free agent Matt Leinart.

"It almost surely isn't going to happen," writes Judge. The Seahawks reportedly don't want to "block" Charlie Whitehurst, who remains the team's QB of the future despite an uninspiring first preseason with the club. Judge expects Seattle to carry just two quarterbacks all year. This would seem to leave Houston as the most likely landing spot for Leinart. The Texans have not been pleased with Dan Orlovsky, and were unable to bring back Sage Rosenfels.

:wacko: Whitehurst over Leinart. Things are looking bad for Matt right now.